Post Title: HR Officer
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 75 countries.
The position holder will be responsible to perform human resource related services that support the proper functioning of Program Area Office by Leading/Facilitating recruitment and selection process, conducting induction and on boarding programme, contributing for the review and improvement of development and emergency HR policies and procedures, Providing HR related information for HR audits, Administering HR policy and Procedures.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Plan has a performance management and accountability matrix SOP. Every position holder is expected to adhere to the SOP and review her/his responsibility against the accountability matrix.
HR Roles for Development Programs, Projects and Support Department:
- Ensure staff has access to the HR manual and relevant policies
- Create HRIS account and provide technical HRIS related support for all PA
- Maintain an oversight of contract periods and initiates discussion on extensions through line managers.
- Ensure access to benefits for staff and maintain up to date recodes on usage.
- Support coordination and capacity building of staff and line managers to improve individual performance and organizational objectives
- Involve in job evaluation (especially for Emergency Response Projects)
- Produce quality monthly, quarterly and year-end reports to monitor on all HR services like recruitment & selection, staff turnover, staff development, performance management, HR budget utilization and planning and on other related services.
- Follow up on PA HR audit reports and ensure agreed recommendation and solutions are implemented
- Contribute to the annual budget preparations in line with Plan guideline and standard processes for HR issues.
- Serve as PA Senior Management Team member and involve in high level decisions.
- Provide HR Coordination of 3 – 4 field offices together with Sub-office/Field Office mangers/Coordinators.
- Ensure all staff data is up to date and personnel file audit is conducted quarterly
- Provide HR related data, information and reports to Finance monthly and to other departments as requested
- Engage in building, promoting and maintaining effective and open communication links with staffs to ensure that all staff issues and grievance are brought to the attention of the PAM and PA sr. Management Team.
- Whenever there is legal issues he/she is responsible to follow up the case and share to the PAM and CO HR
- Provide technical overview for PA staff to ensure all annual leave days are utilized as per HR policy.
- Provide advice to staff and managers and address HR related issues and propose corrective and disciplinary actions where appropriate in consultation with the PAM and CO HR
- Support the PA Finance Coordinator in providing up-to-date Salary and OT information monthly.
- Ensure vacancy announcements are done timely based on specific job descriptions and skill requirements as per proposed JDs and disseminate the announcement of job opportunities internally and externally, on Employee Central as widely as possible through innovative ways.
- Ensure job applications, timely accomplish longlisting, coordinate with line manager to undertake short listing and arrange assessments/interviews are finished within recruitment lead time.
- Support the orientation of recruiting managers and recruiting and selection panel with Plan Ethiopia’s recruitment policy and set of procedures and ensure that the rules and regulations are strictly adhered to while selecting or rejecting candidates.
- Ensure pre-employment requirements like reference check, police report, medical check and antiterrorism check are met by potential candidates before job offer is made.
- Ensure that all PA employees are registered with the pension scheme and appropriate records are created or updated with PEOSSA.
- Coordinate timesheet from all PA staff, facilitate approval and ensure accurate documentation
- Ensure all employees have a current contract of employment and comply with all human resource policies and practice, local labour law and PLAN Ethiopia country and global policies.
- Organize staff training sessions and activities in collaboration with Program Area Managers and HR/OD department.
- Follow up the completion of periodical staff performance management activity and compile the report.
- Advise Program Area Managers and other employees on employment law and PLAN’s employment policies and procedures
Emergency HR Roles:
- Contribute to the development and update of development & emergency HR policies and procedures in consultation with PAM and CO HR to ensure compliance to local labor law and that all HR risks are covered.
- Coordinate emergency recruitment support services to ensure HR delivers effective recruitment support to recruiting managers in accordance with agreed standards and timelines.
- Ensuring all development and emergency staffs have active employment contract, follow their probationary period and ensure all their entitlements are as per the policy of the organization.
- Coordination of emergency staff performance management based on Emergency HR guideline.
- Ensure the recruitment and selection of all the emergency response projects of PA are done timely.
- Maintain and update PA level emergency roster as per competency framework of Plan Ethiopia by identifying, screening and maintaining emergency response capacity of staff members in relevant functional areas to rapidly deploy to emergencies.
- Assist and participate in salary and benefits surveys for development and emergency staff to ensure competitive compensation and benefits plans.
- Ensure acknowledgement of all Plan policies are signed by development & emergency staff as required.
- Carry out other duties such as translation works, take minutes of office meetings as requested by the supervisor
- Update the filing system and manage filing the office documents for both hard and electronic copies.
- Keep documentation of all government and partners agreements, reports both in soft and hard copy maintained.
- Responsible for facilitating high level trainings, workshops and conferences
Capability Building and People Management:
- Support staff to understand and comply the organizational vision, mission, strategic direction and other organization policies.
- Socialize and nurture Plan Values and Behaviours.
- Create a safe working place safeguarding.
- Support the staff to gain the necessary skills through learning and development
- Support the staff to understand the Country HR Manual and other guidelines.
- Engage in the performance management of functional subordinates by working closely with the functional subordinate’s line manager.
- Within the scope of the role, there will be additional assignments as needed.
- Seek and promote innovative ideas, approach to ensure quality of work
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Ensures that the team members under supervision are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding and GEI policies;
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day-to-day work.
- Ensures that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- BA Degree or Diploma in Management, Human Resource Management or related fields
- 3-5 years’ relevant experience out of which 1 year at supervisory level
- Experience of International NGO or demonstrated equivalent combination
- Excellent organisation and communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and deal with a range of incoming enquires – organisation is key to the success of this role.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook, also keen knowledge and experience of the importance of databases and their role in providing accurate management information.
- Able to form and maintain effective working relationships
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations,
- Fluency in English language is essential
- In addition to Amharic, Knowledge of other Local Languages is a desirable
Qualifications/ experience desirable:
- Ability to prioritize tasks and be able to deliver to right deadlines
- Experience in handling disciplinary cases
- Ability to provide training
- Experience in handling and participating in Recruitment
Location: Benishangul (Metekel)
Type of Role: Human Resourse
Reports to: HR Coordinator
Closing Date: 24 September 2022
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
- Job City Benishangul