The Excellence Community Education Welfare Scheme (ECEWS) is a leading and reputable indigenous non-for profit organization that promotes access to qualitative healthcare, education and economic strengthening opportunities for all Nigerians. With its headquarters in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State and a corporate office in Abuja, ECEWS has presence in 17 States across the South-South, South East, South West and North Central Nigeria with a strong client portfolio with the United States Agency for International
Development (USAID), Global Fund to fight against AIDS, TB and Malaria, United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US CDC), The United Nations office of Projects, World Bank & Federal Government of Nigeria. Since its founding in 2001, ECEWS has built a vast network of health and allied professional staff, partners and collaborators which has earned her a solid reputation among its funders and is well regarded by competitors and partners alike
The Accelerating Control for HIV Epidemic Project (ACE) funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), is a 5 Year funded project implemented in Akwa Ibom & Cross River States. Implementation is targeted at achieving epidemic control thereby reducing transmission and improving the quality of life of those living with HIV.
Human Resource Manager
Level of Effort
Full Time (8.00am to 5.00pm Mondays – Friday) 100%
Akwa Ibom State
Number of Persons Required
- This position reports to the Director of Finance & Operations
- A member of the Senior Management Team, the overall purpose of the HR Manager is to contribute to the attainment of ECEWS strategic business and objectives through effective leadership and management of the HR function in the Office. The role will lead the overall HR function for ECEWS, developing HR Services from an operational and strategic perspective. The incumbent will co-ordinate HR operations ensuring that the HR function is aligned to ECEWS business and deliver sound and cost effective people management practices through continuous improvement and prioritization. The position holder will provide practical, consistent, and proactive support, direction and advice to the Senior Management Team, People Managers and all staff on HR policies, systems procedures and best practices.
Task / Responsibility
1. Staff Development and Performance Management
- Carries out periodic organizational, job and individual training and development needs analysis;
- Identifies suitable courses to meet the training and development needs of the staff and organization and follow-up plans to see them through;
- Organizes in-house training and development Programmes in accordance with needs identified and evaluates outcome of the training undertaken;
- Administers career management and succession planning systems to meet Human resources plan needs;
- Establishes and regularly reviews standard and generic job descriptions for all positions and ensures all posts have up to date job descriptions and employees holding the posts are given copies of the same;
- Ensures that appropriate format for performance appraisal is in place and all staff have understanding of ECEWS Performance appraisal system;
- Monitor implementation of performance appraisal systems;
- Advises line managers and the Chief Executive Officer on personnel management issues.
- Systems and Policies Development and Implementation;
- Ensure the ECEWS HR strategies, policies, procedures and guidelines are implemented and regularly updated based on ECEWS international’s procedures and ensures compliance with best practices and standard local laws;
- Reviews and recommends principles on how to motivate, attract and retain staff and promote gender diversity;
- Plans the human resource, manages recruitment and selection and ensures safety wellness of ECEWS staff;
- Ensures new jobs are graded appropriately
- Develops and administer reward management and remuneration systems;
- Ensures flawless implementation and utilization for the HR system
- Ensures that all staff are kept informed of policies and procedure and of any changes;
- Handles employee grievances, disciplinary issues and other administrative problems according to ECEWS policies and procedures and consult with the legal advisor on staff legal cases.
- Ensures consistent and uniform implementation of the HR policy and procedures throughout the organization.
- Entry Management
- Works with Managers and Supervisors to forecast HR need and completes overall HR staff planning for the CO.
- Ensures the recruitment of new staff as required by the HR staff plan
- Interviews and selects staff with inputs from others
- Ensures on boarding of staff to the organization
- Directs and monitors the processing and entry of employee source data and documentation into the human resources information system and the manual personnel files, develops and implements policies and systems to ensure the highest standard of accuracy, timeliness, and efficiency in personnel records management;
- Planning, Budgeting and Reporting
- Plans, budgets and carry out training and development programs for effective utilization of human resources;
- Prepares periodic reports on HR management and training activities and submits to the Director of Finance & Operations and Chief Executive Officer.
- Exit Management
- Ensures that all staff fill out an exit interview form when they leave service of ECEWS;
- Ensures that all Personnel Policy requirements are fulfilled when staffs leave
- Ensures that clearance form is completed before any staff collects exit pay;
- Presents exit interview summary, analysis and recommendations to SMT for information and further action.
- Staff Management
- Supervises, leads guides and supports other staff in the HR Unit.
- Orients, trains, and coaches staff.
- Recommends or initiates personnel actions such as merit increases and other salary adjustments, promotions, transfers, terminations, and disciplinary actions including performance improvement plans;
- Completes all performance management activities including: performance planning, monitoring, and annual performance appraisals of staff under the HR office.
- Leads with line managers on PIP process
- Keeps up to date with developments in the HR, including best practice examples in-country and internationally, and ensure ongoing personal development and learning;
- Ensures the communication of HR policies and procedures within the organization, partners and other stakeholders.
- Performs other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
- Degree in Human Resources Management/ Organizational
Behaviour/Business Administration or related field
- Certified member of Chartered Institute of Personnel Management or related body is an advantage
- At least 5-7 years relevant experience.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and computer (Excel and spreadsheet) skills are required.
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is required.
- Experience and good working knowledge of Donor Fund regulations is an advantage.
- Experience of HR in the not-for-profit sector is an advantage.
- A higher degree or professional qualification in HR is an advantage
- Familiarity with Nigerian Labor laws
- Verbal and written working proficiency in English. Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time
Technology to be used:
- Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and e-mail), HR software, office telephone, calculator, cell phone and printer/copier and any other hand held devices.
This vacancy will close on the 2nd of June, 2022
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one-page cover letter as one (1) MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to Human Resources Unit through this email address: email@example.com
APPLICATION MUST EXPLICITLY STATE YOUR FULL NAMES, THE POSITION OF INTEREST WITH PREFERED LOCATION as the subject of the email.
Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers.
Eligible female applicants are encouraged to apply. ECEWS has a competitive compensation package and is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) ECEWS does not charge candidates a fee for a test or interview.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.