Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA) invites applications for a Human Resources & Administration Specialist to join our dedicated and talented MEDA team in Kenya in our mission to create business solutions to poverty!
MEDA’s work is built on a foundation of Mennonite business roots and faith-based values, within the global context of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. We believe business solutions are effective interventions to address poverty. Through a market-systems approach and strategic partnerships, MEDA enables access to finance and provides business and technical expertise to build transformative agri-food market systems that create decent jobs, allowing traditionally excluded groups to become active participants in a sustainable economy. MEDA welcomes all who share our values and want to join us in our mission. To find out more about MEDA, please visit our website at www.meda.org.
Since 2014, MEDA has partnered with small and medium-sized businesses, small entrepreneurs, and farmers to increase the economic growth of rural counties across Kenya. Through our projects we provide business consulting and service provider assistance, access to finance and investment capital, and opportunities to access debt or equity financing for investment partners and financial service providers. More information about our projects in Kenya can be found here: www.meda.org/country/kenya/
The Human Resources & Administration Specialist (HRS) will provide support services for the daily operations of the project’s Human Resources function and will also provide overall support to the senior management team and project staff as they accomplish the mission of the project. The HRS will report to the Finance & Administration Director.
In the Human Resource (HR) area, the HRS will support in developing and implementation of HR systems including: HR policies; recruitment and selection; salary and benefit administration; performance management; and training and development.
The Administrative functions include: equipment and supplies; safety and security systems for both staff and assets; administrative support to the project team, procurement and maintenance of assets; and assisting in developing and maintaining government relations as required. The HRS will oversee MEDA administrative staff.
The position will also be responsible for creating communication content on behalf of the organization, compiling impact stories and guide on the branding initiatives.
- Job Status: Full-time, Contract
- Start Date: As soon as possible -October 2021
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Support in the development and implementation of appropriate HR policies that comply with MEDA’s HR guidelines and local legislation.
- Manage all staff benefits and insurance, ensuring that appropriate coverage is in place.
- Maintain personnel files including tracking of employee data (vacation time, contract dates, salary letters, benefits, training, etc.) and ensuring proper employment contracts are signed and on file.
- Provide administrative support to the HR & Administration Department in all HR functions including but not limited to the Performance Management, Training and Development and leave management.
- Provide assistance on general HR queries and follow up actions, to ensure consistent and high-quality HR services are delivered to employees.
- Facilitate transparent and competitive recruitment and selection processes; advertising job postings, scheduling interviews, filing applications, drafting job descriptions, screening of candidates, organization of interview panels, and other administrative processes.
- Support in conducting orientation and induction training of newly arrived personnel on HR related matters.
- Work with department heads and HQ HC to identify and develop training and development programs including the use of MEDA’s online Learning Portal
- Maintain confidential personnel records, HR databases and archives, to ensure data and files are accurately stored and updated.
- Review payroll for all MEDA staff and ensure that all payments are accurate and legitimate.
- Support in management of complex employee relations casework including dispute resolutions, disciplinaries, grievances, absence, retirement and redundancy.
- Draft various HR and Administration documentation required for the specific area of work (e.g. employment documents, service agreements, transfer letters, training-related documents, visa invitation letters… etc.) and other correspondence documents as required; ensuring accuracy and meeting established deadlines;
- Collaborate with MEDA’s HQ Human Capital team on HR processes, policies, and reporting
- Utilize MEDA’s online HR system (BambooHR) for tracking employee information and for the performance management process and provide support and training to staff on the BambooHR system
Administration and Communications
- Administration focal point for the MEDA offices, working with the administrative assistants to ensuring smooth running of the offices. Effectively problem solve issues related to schedules, travel, office needs and other issues/items as assigned; ensuring needs of the organization and staff are met;
- Develop and implement a communication and marketing strategy for the M-SAWA project. Publicizing the project achievements to acknowledge donor contribution.
- With the help of the programme team develop branding initiatives for external communications and media relations.
- Developing and dissemination of project briefing/promotional documents clearly outlining services provided by the project.
- Mainstream and Social Media communication- Share project implementation updates and opportunities increasing understanding of the Project.
- Work with programme team to document project impact stories i.e. case studies, most significant change stories, best practices and lessons learnt
- Assist in developing Donor reports and ensuring MEDA reports are according to donor requirements and highlight project impact.
- Stakeholder engagement- responsible for coordinating meetings with government, stakeholders and project partners
- Support the organization of country visits by MEDA HQ staff, donors and other stakeholders, including drafting itineraries, arranging for in-country travel, accommodation, site visits and other activities as required.
Any other duties and/or requirements as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, or other relevant field.
Experience: Certified Human Resource Professional with a Minimum 5 years’ experience. Experience in working for an International Organization or NGO highly preferred.
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s faith, vision and values
- Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development and MEDA’s approach of creating business solutions to poverty
- Experience with human resources and procurement management in compliance with requirements of major donors
- Demonstrated successful experience with staff supervision, recruitment and selection, performance management and salary scale maintenance is required
- Knowledge of general HR administrative work practices and methods gained through relevant technical training and experience
- Self-starter with confidence and commitment to professional delivery
- Ability to work unsupervised and take ownership of queries/issues, bringing them to a successful conclusion
- Excellent computer skills and good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and related software
- Flexible, organized and detail-oriented, with an ability to prioritize multiple assignments and react quickly to changes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Swahili
- Experience organizing conferences and meetings, making domestic and international travel arrangements preferred
- Prior work experience in the international development sector desirable
*MEDA is an equal opportunity employer and accommodations are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring accommodation make their needs known in advance.
How to apply
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 1st, 2021 @ 4:00 pm EST.
Apply using this link: