SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Human Resources Assistant
Vacancy Number : SVN/IOMSO/019/2023
Duty Station : IOM Somalia in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Classification : General Service Category, Grade G5
Type of Appointment : Special Short Term, Nine Months with possibility of
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 05 June, 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for
the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of Head of Resources Management and under the direct
supervision of Human Resources Officer (HRO) for IOM Somalia, the incumbent will
be responsible for coordination and implementation of Human Resources policies and
activities in IOM Somalia, its Sub Offices and Support Office in Nairobi. S/he will be
working in close coordination with other Resources Management Unit and
Programme/Projects. In particular s/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Participate in implementation of HR policies and procedures for national staff
and non-staff. Ensure that Mission’s HR processes and actions are consistent
with the relevant IOM policies and procedures. Accordingly, provide advice and
support to staff and managers on HR matters.
- In coordination with HRO and Managers, undertake the recruitment procedures
and process for national staff and non-staff (consultant, intern, Third Party
Contract, etc.). This covers the end-to-end recruitment process of review hiring
requests and Post Description; prepare/post vacancies; assist interview and
selection; job offering; including coordination of onboarding process for newly
recruited, i.e. ensure all pre-employment requirements and clearances are
completed, and conduct induction for new staff and non-staff.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal candidates are
eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are
considered as first-tier candidates.
- Maintain HR information system (PRISM HR) and regularly update personnel information and actions for staff and as necessary for non-staff, related to hiring, contract issuance/extension, administration/process of national staff’s benefits (including coordination with relevant departments in IOM), attendance records, promotion, separation, etc. Monitor and ensure effective administration of PRISM HR module as per the roles as assigned.
- Administration of Consultant, Intern, Daily contract and other non-staff, including but not limited to maintain the records in PRISM, issuance of contracts, extension, and process payments.
- Initiate and follow up contract renewal of staff and non-staff in coordination with Managers and HRO. Ensure timely preparation and renewal process of all types of contracts, including personnel actions in PRISM.
- Review and monitor attendance records of staff and non-staff. Ensure that biometric time attendance and/or manual timesheets are consistent with PRISM records. Analyze timesheets and necessary actions for follow up with staff and manager.
- Prepare and process monthly payroll of national staff. Ensure administration, inputs and calculation in PRISM related to additions, deductions, benefit/entitlement, all changes, are correctly recorded. Running the payroll system and preparing payroll sheet. Coordinate with HRO and Finance Unit.
- Monitor compliance of Staff Evaluation System (SES) within Mission and advocate for timely completion of the performance management process in line with organization deadlines. Provide support to staff, managers, and as required, facilitate performance management discussions between staff and supervisors.
- Coordinate the Periodic Medical Examinations (PME) and Exit medical exams for National staff in liaison with IOM Health Unit.
- Provide assistance to medical cases/hospitalisation of staff or dependants in coordination with relevant departments and providers, coordinate clearances, and provide guidance on medical claim process of hospital bills.
- Participate in staff development and learning activity including encourage completion of mandatory trainings, facilitate in-house HR & RMU training in coordination with relevant units (registration and arrangement), and provide technical guidance on HR matters to staff and managers.
- In coordination within HR unit, assist the updates of monthly staff and non-staff statistics, assist reports related to staff data, training reports, and organograms.
- Assist in separation process of staff and non-staff, including separation formalities, coordination with related departments and units in IOM, record/inputs in PRISM, and process separation clearance and payment.
- Draft general letters for staff and personnel needs in coordination with HRO.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or other relevant field, from an accredited academic institution with minimum of three years’ relevant work experience; or
• Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution with minimum of five years’ relevant work experience.
• Professional and management experience in Human Resources covering: Recruitment, Salary and Benefits Administration, Performance Management, Training and Development, and HR Information System.
• Work experience with international organization or international NGO is an asset.
• Familiarity with UN common system or similar systems is a distinct advantage..
• High level of computer literacy. Good knowledge of MS Office specifically Excel.
• Knowledge of HR information system specifically SAP a distinct advantage.
• Well organized, mature individual, able to work independently, paying attention to detail, and meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
• Must have excellent communication skill (written and spoken).
• Ability to work under pressure and with minimum supervision.
• Strong interpersonal skill, ability to work in a diverse team, flexible and quickly adapt to new/different environment.
• Fluency in English and Somali both written and spoken is required.
• Knowledge of Arabic is an added advantage
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com
No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee).
From 23.05.2023 to 05.06.2023
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.