Position Title: Human Resources Director – RSC Africa
Reports To: Africa Head of Administration
Division : Immigration & Refugee Program+ (IRP+)
Department: Administration, Human Resources
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Grade Level: Grade 10, International/National
Total compensation and
benefits package: $117,000-$124,000, commensurate to experience and required skills
This position is open to both national and international applicants
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
The HR Director will lead and facilitate the development of a highly effective, strategic HR function in the region that ensures the organization has the structure, culture and talent needed to deliver on program goals and effectively serve its clients. This is a fixed term contract of 2 years, to develop HR policies and systems to be implemented across our growing Africa country office portfolio. At the end of the two year, CWS expects the incumbent to have identified and built capacity for a national staff to take over the HR Director position in a long term, open ended contract. This individual will direct the delivery of key HR services and infrastructure in line with CWS strategy for efficient and effective services at multiple levels. They will drive the implementation and adaptation of HR global initiatives and practices across the region. She or he will serve as advisor and counsel to maximize staffing resources and performance, ensure efficiency of work processes, and contain institutional risk. S/he will model the organizational values of CWS and will support colleagues to understand and live these values.
Functions include but are not limited to strategic planning & management, providing consultation to management on strategic staffing plans, budgets, recruitment, compensation, benefits, training and development, labor relations and HR administration. This position will also have primary responsibility for assisting in development, coordination, and implementation of Human Resource policies and procedures for Church World Service Africa programs. This serves on the CWS Africa leadership team.
§ Ensure compliance and adherence to CWS HR policies and procedures, through guidance and support to Managers and Line Managers at country and sub – office level
§ Under the supervision of Deputy Director Admin, implement the HR strategy, system and tools in the region in full synergy with other Area Coordinators
• Develop and implement regional HR procedures, SOPs, guidelines and tools
• Ensure that communication at regional level is regular in order to facilitate a participative inter- Departmental decision-making process
• Provide overall technical supervision and capacity building to Department Coordinators and HR Managers in the region on HR policies, strategies and management
• Develop internal compliance reporting for the HR Department
• Works closely with the Deputy Director Admin to perform internal audits and compliance checks.
• Ensures that SOPs for the HR Department are always up to date with Senior Management Team directives, and in line with CWS Africa security policy and that the HR staff receive relevant security training.
• Plans and executes annual process reviews for the HR Department
• Ensures there is an organized and robust training strategy for the HR Division, inclusive of targeted capacity building to increase professional skills of HR positions
• Reports on HR division’s multi-year planning progress and challenges
• Guarantee that duty of Care of National Staff in the region is compliant with Labor Law and INGO practices and CWS strategies
• Provide HR support and staff care in stressful situations or incidents
• Provide regularly analysis of data and statistics
• Participate actively in the CWS Africa leadership team
Strategic Planning & Management
• Contributes to the organization’s strategic planning process
• Translates organizational strategy into Departmental goals and objectives
• Responsible for the development of the HR Department goals, objectives, and systems
• Planning, organizing, and controlling the activities and actions of the HR Department
• Develop and be custodian of the HR budget
Policy and Management
• In coordination with the CWS Global HR, ensures that HR policies and practices are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations for the locations where CWS Africa operates in
• Works with CWS Africa supervisors to develop best practices in human resource management and to ensure implementation in a fair, consistent and transparent manner
• Reviews and updates the Regional SOPs and all other human resource policies as appropriate
• Provides supervision, support and guidance to the CWS Africa human resources staff
• Conducts research and provides recommendations to CWS Africa senior management on HR policy practices and developing staffing needs
• Oversees the management of the employee benefits program
Staff Performance Evaluation and Training
• Develops and implements the CWS Africa staff Performance Management System, including developing the capacity of management staff and other Department leaders, to implement effective performance monitoring.
• Ensuring that all Departments are up to date with the performance evaluation process
• Continuously review the effectiveness of the performance management system and propose changes where necessary
• Assesses CWS Africa staff training needs, develops annual training plans and conducts staff training activities in co-ordination with the training team.
• In coordination with the CWS Africa Staff Security Coordinator and supervisors, ensures that CWS Africa staff members receive relevant safety and security training.
• Manages and develops HR team, with particular focus on HR managers, to facilitate a successful succession process from within the organization at the conclusion of the contract.
• Prepares the annual HR budget in conjunction with other Department leaders.
• Responsible for management of hiring budgets and ensures that CWS Africa maintains the budgeted staffing numbers in conjunction with Hiring managers and the recruitment team.
• Oversees CWS Africa’s welcome and orientation materials
• Responsible for oversight of the organizations benefits and health insurance plans, and responsible for ensuring HR team is trained and capable of providing all relevant information for employees at all times
• Identifies smart practices on staff care within the international NGO community, and integrates into CWS Africa’s approach
• Ensures that the HR Department is accessible and responsive to staff enquiries
• Ensures a harassment-free work environment, including through the fair and transparent application of CWS Africa policies
• Assists in the administration of employee recognition programs and help plan staff events
• Serves on the CWS Africa leadership team.
• Other duties that may be assigned to enhance the quality and efficiency of the organizations human resources, to attain program objectives and maintain the high professional standards of CWS
• Ten (10) years management experience, 7 years preferred in an International NGO in a similar capacity.
• Proven experience working in an HR management capacity with large multi-cultural teams.
• Knowledge of Kenya laws and customs preferred.
• Experience with overseas processing or US refugee resettlement preferred.
• Thorough knowledge and comprehensive understanding of U.S. and Kenya Labor Law and retirement benefits rules and regulations preferred;
• Demonstrated knowledge of performance management systems and performance evaluation
• Exceptional interpersonal communication skills;
• Strong organizational and time management skills;
• Computer literacy, with a strong emphasis on Microsoft Excel and Outlook
• Work and make decisions independently and contribute to overall operations at management levels
• Exercise good judgment and seek guidance as appropriate when confronted with unanticipated problems in the field;
• Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail, completing tasks within set timeframes;
• Exercise good judgement and seek guidance as appropriate when confronted with unanticipated problems;
• Deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, refugees and members of the general public;
• Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
• Maintain the integrity of official records;
• Analyse and solve complex problems and make sound decisions;
• Work with minimal supervision
• Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
• Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa;
• Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
• Be flexible with changing of daily duties as needed.
Education & Certifications:
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management or related area with post graduate qualification/certification in Human Resource Management
Master’s degree is preferred
• Strong English communication skills, both oral and written
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
· Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
· This position is open to both national and international candidates and will be offered with international benefits.
· COVID Vaccination is strongly recommended for all successful candidates
· The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa/Remove if not applicable.
· This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya
· This position requires use of laptops at all time, competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
· This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program
· Background check which includes references and an educational criminal check is required before the start of employment for applicants.
· A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
· Internationals – International applicants must be legally eligible to work and obtain a work permit in Kenya.
· Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
· Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
· The US Embassy rates Kenya as both HIGH in crime and HIGH in terrorism. Incumbents should fully understand the insecurities present within Kenya and the region. **
All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
How to apply
Log on to CWS Careers site: https://cws-careers.vibehcm.com/