Role & Responsibilities
Manage all in-country aspects of human resources for the programme. With a particular focus on nationally recruited staff, on a day-to-day basis this will involve recruitment, staff policy development, co-ordination of training and general staff well-being. All HR activities are conducted in line with Medair policies and procedures and in accordance with local employment legislation and practice. The Human Resources Manager also works with field management and GSO on in-country issues for internationally recruited staff.
Emergency health projects targeting displaced, war affected and vulnerable populations in NE Congo. Developmental projects aimed at long term and sustainable behaviour change in general population and state health employees to improve public health outcomes.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Goma, Nord Kivu, Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
February 2022. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Human Resources Management for Nationally Recruited Staff
- Manage and co-ordinate the recruitment process for new/vacant positions in conjunction with the relevant line manager. Ensure all nationally recruited staff have a current employment contract.
- Ensure appropriate induction when commencing employment with Medair and exit interview and debriefing carried out and appropriate records are kept when individuals leave Medair.
- Review payroll on a monthly basis in cooperation with finance team before submission for final approval. Ensure that all HR related paperwork, personnel files are updated and well in place.
- Develop & review policies of the National Staff which included staff handbook, HR related procedure manuals, to ensure that the documents & practices meet the requirements of Congolese law.
- Work as a gatekeeper to ensure the personnel management matrices such as leave/absence, performance, disciplinary are followed by line managers or team leads.
- Support line managers on disciplinary action and grievance procedures, ensuring that the correct procedures are followed and records are kept in accordance with Medair and local labour law.
- Liaise with other NGOs, local service providers and field management to ensure that salaries and benefits for nationally recruited staff are in-line with similar organisations, meet the requirements of local labour legislation.
- Participate in the proposal budgets, to ensure the personnel tab in budgets are updated and correct.
- Conduct regular meeting, election and communication with the representative of the staff union, as well as the Comité d’Hygiène.
Human Resources Management for Internationally Recruited Staff
- Support line management to identify staffing needs. Co-ordinate and the in-country process any required visas or work permits for all incoming staff and visitors.
- Work with line managers to ensure new staff receive a relevant and appropriate country/programme briefing and that a full induction and handover is carried out and to organise appropriate debriefing, if required, at end of contract or following any critical incident.
- Support HR at GSO and line managers on disciplinary action and grievance procedures, ensuring that the correct procedures are followed and records are kept in accordance with Medair guidelines.
Performance Management & Training Development
- Oversee performance management to ensure line managers conduct performance appraisals within the timeframes and that the necessary paperwork is completed according to the latest guidelines.
- Provide line managers with training, advice, mentoring and coaching on performance management or any other relevant areas of HR management or procedures for their team. Support line managers to identify training needs for local staff, develop annual staff training and development plan in accordance with Medair strategy.
- Source in-house and external training opportunities as appropriate, working within budgetary and operational constraints, as well as promote the usage of Medair e-learning platform for all staff.
- Maintain a comprehensive and correct information in HRIS by updating staff information in the system in a timely manner in order to be able to produce report on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Maintain other work-related records and documentation according to programme procedures. This include staff plans, attendance records, holidays, sickness, other absences, training records, insurance, pensions, taxes, etc.
- Organization and maintenance of HR documentation, for accountability and ensure audit preparedness
- Ensure regular visit to the different base offices where HR teams are, to provide training and to implement the controls checklist.
- Direct manage and oversee the programme HR staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal and coaching etc.
- Dotted line manages HR staff at different base to provide technical advice and support when needed.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
- 2 years’ relevant professional experience in administration / human resources position.
- Previous experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in the HR sector.
- Able to develop, coach and support other team members, both international and national staff.
- Strong organisational and time management skills.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
- Job City Goma