Tostan is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Dakar, Senegal and currently operating in five West African countries. Strategically, the organization is committed to continuing to develop its core competency of empowering education and to documenting and scaling the sustainable impact it creates across a range of issues. Tostan’s flagship model, the 3-Year Community Empowerment Program (CEP), has already reached thousands of communities in both West and East Africa since 1991. Outcomes in governance, education, health, economic empowerment, and the environment are currently tracked, and Tostan has been particularly proud to play a significant role in the large-scale empowerment of women and girls and the community-led abandonment of harmful practices such as female genital cutting and child marriage. As a part of its 2019-2022 Strategic Engagement Plan Tostan is focused on Strategic Scaling. The organization is developing new implementation strategies to support community leadership in unlocking larger-scale systems change at regional scale. It is also creating new models for sharing and replicating its programs with other development partners and expanding its capacities to share Tostan’s overall approach to support and influence a range of local and global audiences.
We are looking for a dynamic and motivated Human Resources Officer who is willing to join Tostan’s team in Gambia and who is ready to work for the benefit Africa communities.
under the direct supervision of the Tostan national coordinator in The Gambia, you will be responsible for:
· Supporting Tostan Gambia in Recruiting, training and developing staff
· Making sure that staff get paid correctly and on time
· Managing pensions and benefit administration
· Developing the job descriptions and advertisements of positions to be recruited
· Looking after the health, safety and welfare of all employees
· Supporting in organising staff training sessions and activities in collaboration with NC
· Ensuring the correct and orderly keeping of employee’s personal file while preserving their confidentiality
· Monitoring staff performance and attendance
· Communicating and monitoring the employee leave schedule in relation to management
· Advising Management, National Coordinator and other employees on employment law, policy and the employer’s own employment policies and procedures
· Establishing the institution of staff representative, ensure the prevention and management of social conflicts
· Negotiating the salaries, contracts, working conditions or redundancy packages with staff and representatives.
· Noticing to staff for their contracts beginning and termination in time with a good level of monitoring
· oversee the conduct of all recruitment processes in accordance with Tostan’s recruitment policy
· Feeding the HR databases (ratio of accidents at work, absenteeism, sickness, turnover, etc.) and providing the hierarchy with reliable information and decision-making support indicators;
· Preparing Social Report of staff and share with HR Department and TI
· Ensuring the production of annual declarations for social institutions
· Supporting the HR department in the implementation of Tostan’s Safeguarding and Protection Policy
· Supporting Tostan Gambia in the implementation of the Well-Being agenda
QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING REQUIRED
A degree or higher national diploma (HND) in a relevant subject such as Human Resources, Law and Management may be required.
Must have at least 2 years’ experience in a similar position
Must have a:
· Excellent practices and knowledge of payroll management
· Excellent practices and knowledge of human resources information system management
· Excellent knowledge of Senegal local labor laws and work environment requirements;
· Good knowledge of computer tools and software;
Minimum of two years working experience in NGO field or in a Tostan Community Empowerment program would be an added advantage.
How to apply
Join our team by sending your application to the following address firstname.lastname@example.org before May, 14th 2022 with the reference “**HRO-Tostan Gambia 02-22**” and:
● A cover letter (in English)
● A detailed CV including the contact details of three referees, one of whom must be your current or previous supervisor.
● Copies of diplomas and certificates
This is a local contract and the position is based in Basse (Gambia)
This vacancy is only open to candidates who are living in The Gambia.
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all applications, regardless of race, religion, age, gender, nationality, disability or any other form of discrimination prohibited by law.
We therefore strongly encourage applications from women and people with disabilities.
Successful applicants will be submitted to a pre-employment check in accordance with the Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy, the Sexual Exploitation and Abuse Policy and the Anti-Terrorism Checking Policy.
- Job City Basse