Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements.. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and South Africa. This includes transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique and island states
Under the direct supervision of the Human Resources Manager, the Human Resources Officer ensures effective delivery of HR services in the Hub, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. He/she interprets and applies HR policies, rules and regulations, implements internal procedures and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues. The HR Officer promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations and contributes to the maintenance of high staff morale.
This vacancy announcement is for rostering purposes. There are multiple duty stations in the Africa Region, as such, the selected candidate(s) will be based in the KEMCO portfolio countries Kenya, Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Uganda and any other Country within the region subject to need and funds availability.
The HR Officer may supervisor HR Assistants and HR Associates. He/she works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and project teams in the Hub and UNOPS HQ staff ensuring successful performance in HR management.
Under the direct supervision of the HR Manager, the HR Officer will perform the following functions:
Summary of the key functions
- Implementation of HR strategies and policies
- Effective HR management
- Personnel performance management and career development
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provides support to the implementation of HR strategies and policies focusing on achievement of the following results;
- Full compliance of HR activities with UN rules and regulations, UNOPS policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control, proper design and functioning of the HR management system;
- Elaboration of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management, control of the workflows in the HR Unit;
2. Provides support to effective human resources management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Oversight of recruitment of UNOPS personnel;
- Information to UNOPS staff on the conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the UN Staff Rules and Regulations;
- Act as the focal point for all third party personnel contracting;
- Support to management of International staff entitlements and position funding delegated to the HR Unit;
- Information and supports planning of Regional Office or Operations/Project Centre staffing needs for inclusion in the staffing table;
- Liaison with other UN agencies as and when appropriate to ensure consistency with other UN–wide regulations and rules;
- Preparation and/or review of human resources submission requests to LCPC, in accordance with relevant Procurement/HR guidelines;
- Ensure timely and accurate availability of information to the payroll team to ensure all personnel salaries are paid on time;
3. Personnel performance management and career development
- Ensures effective performance management – for direct reports/HR Assistant
4. Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on HR-related topics;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in human resources;
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the Hub in human resources management and success in introduction and implementation of HR strategies and policies. Accurate, thoroughly researched and documented information, its dissemination, timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and maintains high staff morale. It enhances credibility of UNOPS as an effective and efficient organization in the HR sector.
First level university degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business Administration, Administration or related field is required;
- A minimum of two years of experience in professional-level recruitment and/or HR generalist services in an international, public or corporate organization is required;
- Some experience in UN system organizations preferably in a developing country is an asset;
- Proficiency in the usage of google suit application and experience in the use of HR information systems, Enterprise systems, OneUNOPS is desired;
- Fluency in written and oral English language is required.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- This position is based in a family duty station.
- This vacancy announcement is for rostering purposes. There are multiple duty stations in the Africa Region, as such, the selected candidate(s) will be based in the KEMCO portfolio countries Kenya, Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Uganda and any other country within the region subject to need and funds availability.
1. Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement ( IICA) 2. Contract level: IICA 1/ lCS 8 3. Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
The UNOPS Kenya office manages more than 60 projects in around 10 countries of eastern and southern Africa. UNOPS in Kenya helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including: governance, education, health, the environment, grant management and rural development.