PMI-S is a five-year PMI/USAID flagship malaria project implemented through a consortium led by MSH. The project is supporting the Government of Nigeria through its agencies at the federal, state, LGA and community levels to reduce under-five and maternal mortality by delivering quality services for management of malaria, its complications, and prevention. PMI-S project focuses on strengthening the capacity of the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) and State Malaria Elimination Programs (SMEPs) for the implementation of the National Malaria Strategic Plan 2014-2020.
The Human Resources Specialist I will perform a variety of HR functions, including Talent acquisition and management employee relations, benefits management, policies and regulations, and administration of personnel systems. The HR Specialist I, in collaboration with the HR Lead and project staff, is responsible for Talent management activities covering both technical and Operation staff. S/he is aware of, adheres to MSH’s Procurement Integrity (PI) standards in all activities, and is responsible for raising the awareness of staff regarding PI regulations.
- Reports directly To: HR Specialist II
- Supervises: N/A
- Works Directly With: HR Specialist II, Director Finance and Administration. All Hiring Managers, MSH operation and finance team, technical/program team.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In collaboration with the HR Specialist II and Project team, be actively involved in Talent acquisition process.
- Perform all required reference, background checks, CSI Verification and documentation for new hires
- In collaboration with HR Specialist II, negotiate salary with the selected candidate. Secure necessary USAID concurrences and approvals for selected candidates. Prepare employment letters.
- Maintain employee database both hardcopies and on the MDrive system. Administer paperwork for all local employee changes in status.
- Ensure the efficient administration of staff insurance coverage with the insurer for new employees and for the removal of terminated employees.
- In collaboration with the HR team, provide required policy trainings to all project team members, hiring managers to ensure that MSH standards and USAID regulations are adhered.
- Provide PPRD information to supervisors and staff on how to complete related forms. Ensure plans and reviews are complete in a timely manner.
- Coordinate orientation process for new employees and exit process.
- Support the development and implementation of HR initiatives to improve employee team cohesion.
- Proactively update HR Specialist II on staff issues and feedback.
- Ensure that strong internal control systems are in place, MSH Code of Conduct and MSH’s Zero Tolerance practice are well understood by all staff in country and staff act in full compliance with local laws, adhere to contract/award requirements in compliance with MSH policies and standard operating procedures.
- Ensure that systems are in place in country to ensure that operations are managed and staff act in full compliance with local laws, adhere to contract/award and donor requirements, and comply with MSH policies and standard operating procedures.
- Participates within the larger Global HR team to share ideas, develop standard best people practices, and implement best practices across MSH Programs.
- The responsibilities and duties are indicative only. The responsibilities and duties are subject to change to meet the needs of the project, the organization and the donor.
REQUIRED MINIMUM EDUCATION:
Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 5 years post degree experience in human resources management or related discipline. A Master’s Degree in HR/management or related field is an added advantage. HR Credentials (e.g. CIPM or from the HR Certification Institute)
REQUIRED MINIMUM EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 5 years’ related and progressive experience in HR functions as HR generalist.
- Experience working with USAID funded organizations will be an added advantage
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential matters discreetly and gain the trust and confidence of stakeholders; Internal and external
- Competences to assess priorities, manage a variety of complex activities simultaneously in a time-sensitive environment, and meet competing deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with diverse staff, clients, and consultants
- Team working skills and the ability to collaborate well with others
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS), Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, and demonstrated skills in record keeping.
- Proven ability to successfully participate on teams in a fast-paced environment
- Indepth knowledge of local employment regulations
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Strong ethics and reliability
- Strong team work orientation.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft office suites.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Adaptability and Flexible
- Creativity and Innovation
- Strong written and oral presentation skills
- Good oral and written communications skills
*Qualified female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply (For Gender balance)
*Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we reserve the right to close vacancy once a qualified candidate is identified.
How to apply
MSH is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, religion, creed, citizenship, national origin, age, veteran status, or disability unrelated to job requirements. MSH will take affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed and that employees are treated without regard to their race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran and disability status. In compliance with U.S. Department of Labor Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act, and Section 4212 of the Vietnam Era Readjustment Assistance Act, MSH has developed and maintains an affirmative action program and plan.