Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. This means that we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 20 organisations (affiliates) plus the Oxfam International Secretariat, all working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries. All our work is led by our core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness, Courage, Solidarity and Equality.
Oxfam Novib Somalia / Somaliland is looking for a
Humanitarian & Resilience Program Manager
- Deadline for applications: 13 May 2022
- Duty station: Hargeisa, with possibility for travel within the work area (Somalia / Nairobi)
- Type of appointment: Fixed-term Contract
- Work schedule: Full-time (40 hours per week)
- Reports to: Country Director of Somalia / Somaliland
- Staff reporting to this position**:** Technical Coordinators (WASH, FSL, MEAL, Gender & Protection), Programme and Consortium Coordinator and Field PM.
- Type of Posting: Single Posting
- Salary & Scale: € 3.309,= to € 5.091,= / Oxfam Novib’s scale 709 (Int Grading C1)
- Contract duration: 12 months
- Start date: as soon as possible
The humanitarian situation in Somalia has become increasingly fragile following consecutive failed or below normal rainy seasons. Climate change, conflict and insecurity are continuously affecting the livelihoods of Somalia’s pastoralist and farming communities, leading to displacement – on top of conflict/violence in many parts of the country, including on land/resources and between clans and government and non-state armed actors. Recurring and worsening drought conditions lead to massive crop failures and reduced rural employment opportunities, widespread shortages of water and pasture, rapidly diminishing food access among poor households as staple food prices continue to rise sharply and livestock prices decrease significantly. The compounding impacts of these shocks continue to erode coping strategies and undermine resilience against future crises. The number of people in need continues to increase as reflected in the past 3 years from 5.2 M in 2020 and 5.9 M in 2021 and an estimated 7.7 M people in 2022.
Oxfam’s response is currently focusing on WASH and Emergency Food Security and Vulnerable Livelihoods (EFSVL) with protection mainstreaming and resilience building. Geographically Oxfam is responding in Somaliland, Puntland and South Central.
OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
The Humanitarian and Resilience Program Manager (HRPM) will oversee the overall country emergency response programme. The HRPM will contribute to coordination, quality response, management, and reporting the Oxfam Humanitarian Programme in Somalia. The HRPM will support and provide technical supervision of Humanitarian team in the field to respond to rapid onset crises related to conflict displacement and natural disasters, coordinating all emergency preparedness plans, and supervise emergency activities across Somalia.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Ensures that the response strategy (speed, scale, contextually appropriated, integrated) is in line with Oxfam’s overall strategic ambitions, external commitments, and Oxfam’s brand as a lead humanitarian actor.
- Lead on responding in a timely, appropriate, accountable, and cost-effective manner to humanitarian crises in Programme areas, with a focus on Programme quality and beneficiary accountability.
- Lead the design and development of appropriate contingency plans (for Oxfam and partners), and related preparedness and mitigation strategies, including capacity building initiatives, to ensure Oxfam’s humanitarian mandate can always be met.
- HRPM will initiate humanitarian responses in the area where Oxfam operates, based on contingency planning, and will keep this document updated.
- Leads the implementation of the Oxfam Somalia response and resilience framework and the coordination of periodic operational/response plans and budgets of the response, monitoring progress towards achieving program objectives – measures outcome and impact against recognized indicators.
- Coordinates the regular refinement of Programme approach and strategy to ensure that programming contributes to recovery and resilience and Oxfam’s approach is the most relevant and cost effective possible.
- Contributes and provides leadership to the overall One Oxfam response in Somalia by reinforcing strategies with communication and advocacy.
- Supports and maintains oversight of financial and human resourcing for the Somalia response.
- To develop strategy for second phase of response to recovery and resilience; and strengthen recovery and resilience programming.
- Ensure response strategy is fully funded by applying appropriate fundraising mechanisms and developing relevant and winning proposals with the team.
- Participates in regional level response coordination, ensuring follow up of agreed actions and necessary support from others (e.g., HR, Funding, MEAL, others).
- Ensures staff safety and security procedures are monitored, updated, and implemented. This will include an analysis of the risks and threats to staff working on the response.
- Work with partners to strengthen partner capacity and response and resilience implementation with partners using their expertise.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Maintains effective partner grants and reports monitoring system, ensures adherence to Oxfam policies and procedures on partner management
- Ensure all donor and external reports are delivered on time with highest level of quality.
- Make sure that MEAL function is working properly with proper data management, learning, accountability, and evaluation of the program/projects is done on time.
Logistics, Finance, and Human Resource Management:
- Ensure appropriate Financial and Logistical Oxfam systems/ procedures are adhered to within the Emergency Response programming.
- Ensure timely and accurate development of procurement plans, recruitment plans, and spending plans and ensure the same is shared with relevant support colleagues.
- Responsible for ensuring timely submission of monthly spending plans and cash forecast to Finance and relevant Procurement Requests to Logistics (including for framework agreements);
- In line with project needs and funding availability, continuously and proactively plan emergency response-specific staff requirements and liaise with HR and Admin to ensure the same.
Coordination and Representation
- Represents Oxfam to government officials, Consortium, international organizations, NGOs, and other stakeholders.
- Support humanitarian influencing and advocacy for localization and addressing the core humanitarian issues and represent Oxfam in relevant forums to raise the profile of Oxfam and voices of the people we work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Education to a Master’s degree level preferably in social sciences
- 6+ years of experience in similar roles – specifically in managing humanitarian, resilience and development programs funded by different donors.
- Significant leadership and management experience in the development and delivery of high-quality program, influencing and humanitarian strategy, with and through partners or directly, in one or more challenging locations (humanitarian WASH, protection and/or EFSL programs).
- Experience with people management.
- Experience in second phase of response to recovery and resilience programming.
- Experience of managing complex change processes and relationships involving a wide range of both internal and external multi-cultural stakeholders.
- A high degree of self-awareness and an understanding of how to drive and support excellent team performance and individual development in line with Oxfam’s values and policies.
- Proven track record of leading and motivating multi-disciplinary, partially geographically remote teams and operations across many locations.
- Good knowledge of developing and implementing monitoring systems to track the effectiveness of programs and an ability to build cooperative, professional relationships with donors, partners and peer organizations.
- Excellent personal communication skills, in written and verbal English.
- Good interpersonal, influencing, diplomacy and negotiating skills.
- Commitment to equal opportunity and gender policies; sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
- Prior experience of working in fragile and insecure context.
- Ability to travel to remote programmatic sites within the country.
Requirements – desirable
- Experience in managing funded projects and proven ability to write proposals and reports to main humanitarian donors (ECHO, GAC, GFFO, DFID, OFDA, DRA etc.).
- Language, English and local Somali language
WHAT WE OFFER
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 709 with a salary range between € 3.309,= to € 5.091,= gross per month.
How to apply
- If you are interested please use the link.
- Your application must be received by 13 May 2022 at the latest.
- Only applications submitted before the closing date and through our recruitment portal will be considered.
- Only applicants under serious consideration for a post will be contacted.
- This vacancy is posted both internally and externally at the same time, however with equal suitability, the internal candidate will be preferred.
- Applications from qualified candidates from all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colours, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are encouraged.
Acquisition on the occasion of this vacancy is not appreciated.
- Job City Hargeisa