Save the Children International Kenya Country Office, has an exciting opportunity for you to join our team as WASH Officer (Engineer). The role holder will be responsible for the design, implementation, follow up and evaluation of WASH infrastructure construction and rehabilitation in communities targeted by Save the Children in the region of Garissa and Wajir counties. The post is specifically oriented towards the WASH emergency response in the context of the crisis HoA Drought Response. Special attention will be made on the integration of the WASH sector in other core sector of Save the Children such as nutrition, food security, health, education and child protection. In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Contract Duration: 6 months (Humanitarian)
No of Vacancies: Two (2) Positions
Location: Wajir and Garissa
Nationality: Kenya National only
Qualification and Experience
- Professional experience of 4 years minimum, including 2 years in the field of WASH infrastructure construction in humanitarian or development context.
- Solid and progressive management experience working in an emergency response contexts or fragile states
- At least Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Water and Sanitation Engineering, Public Health Engineering.
- Registration with the Engineering Board of Kenya is essential.
- Previous experience in managing integrated Health and WASH activities in a public health programme
- Previous experience of project management, implementing integrated Health and WASH projects within agreed timescales and budget limitations
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability in an emergency integrated Health and WASH context
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong influencing skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English
- Some experience of representation and ability to represent Save the Children effectively in external forums. Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children’s mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of Save the Children’s mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Understanding of Local language is added advantage
- Previous experience in working with an Non-Governmental Organization (NGO)
- Previous experience in addressing Cholera issues
- Knowledge of Save the Children systems and ways of working.
- Experience with working with subcontractors
- Direct experience in the geographical area of intervention of Save the Children.
Save the children international employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process, nor request for medical examination or records and does not act through recruitment agents whatsoever.
- Job City Kenya