Organization – Adeso – African Development Solutions, www.adesoafrica.org
Project – Equity Connect Online Platform
Position Type – Identity Designer (Consultant)
Position Location – Remote
Duration – Three months
Reporting To – Organization Transformation Consultant
Working With – Organization Transformation Consultant
Starting Date – Immediately
Application Deadline – 15th December, 2021
Vacancy Contact – Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org– Adeso will only respond to short-listed applicants.
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African-based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social, and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For over 30 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. At present, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Over the past ten years, Adeso has developed an intimate understanding of the problems faced by both local and national NGOs on a micro and macro level. Adeso has a strong understanding of the barriers that local organizations face in accessing direct funding from donors and the challenges that donors face in partnering with local organizations.
Equity Connect (current working name) – an online platform – is a critical component of Adeso’s five-year strategy that is focused on systems change and infrastructure development to support the creation of an ecosystem that supports more democratic and equitable resourcing and the strengthening of Global South civil society.
Equity Connect (current working name) is a centralized online platform that allows direct donor access to local and national NGOs in the Global South that meet industry standards.
The solution aims to fulfill the following:
- Increase visibility of local organizations
- Grow funding flows to local organizations
- Create linkages for both donors and organizations
BACKGROUND FOR CONSULTANCY
The team seeks to develop an identity for the Equity Connect platform hence the need for an identity design consultant to help determine the long-term vision for the platform. The Identity Design consultant will help lead in this process that will be core prior to the launch and the sustainability of the platform.
SCOPE OF WORK
The team seeks an Identity Design consultant to lead a process with Adeso and the Philanthropy.io (platform development) team to develop the platform identity which will be consistently implemented throughout the site and social media. The consultant should use this opportunity to further promote interaction and collaboration among key users of the site.
The consultant will lead a process with our team including sub-contractors and platform users to develop the identity which will underpin the platform and community.
The designer would be expected to undertake a 3 part process:
- Interviews with Adeso leadership – 1 interview
- Platform Development team discussion – 2 team discussions including a working session with the team to create and narrow in on the ‘brand attributes’
- Interviews with user segments who are part of the platform piloting community – up to 8 interviews with donors and civil society leaders
- Review of up to 5 major documents related to #decolonizeaid, #shiftthepower, Grand Bargain, How Matters – https://www.how-matters.org/
- Propose a round of possible concepts for the identity including names, tag lines, platform description
- Gather feedback from user groups on proposed concepts
- Incorporate feedback and finalize the identity
Deliver the outline of a Brand Book with the name, tag line, platform description and brand attributes with recommendations for colors, typography and other visuals to accompany the identity. The graphic design of a logo and other graphical materials will be created under another scope of work.
● Mid-Career; 5+ years of experience in identity design with social sector organizations, social enterprises, international audiences
● Have excellent knowledge of recent trends in branding, communications, compelling storytelling
● Ability to conceptualize ideas and present drafts
● Demonstrate the ability to create innovative and visually appealing identity
● Demonstrate creativity and openness to new ideas
● Great communication, interpersonal and collaboration skills
● Experience with designing for platforms and products
COPYRIGHT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
In consideration of the fees paid, the Consultant expressly assigns to Adeso any copyright arising from the works the consultant produces while executing this contract. All images/graphics (whether used for online or print purposes) must however bear the consultant’s photo credit, as specified by international intellectual property rights. The consultant may not use, reproduce or otherwise disseminate or authorize others to use, reproduce or disseminate such works without prior consent from Adeso.
How to apply
All applications should be sent to email@example.com by 15th December 2021 with Identity Design Consultant on the subject line. The selection committee will review all applications as they arrive and will begin shortlisting qualified candidates immediately. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered.
Each application package should include the following:
An application letter addressing the selection criteria including how the consultant’s previous experience makes them a suitable candidate for this consultancy. The cover letter should answer the following question:
● What is your interpretation and understanding of the needs of this consultancy?
The application letter should also indicate the candidate’s availability and capacity to complete the deliverables within 3 months. The cover letter should be no longer than 2 pages.
● A sample of recent work (portfolio): Web-based link or PDF file (zipped).
● Updated CV including relevant work experience and qualifications;
● Contact details of 2 references.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.