Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Incidents and Risks Officer
Location: Nigeria (Flexible)
Functional Area: Governance & Executive
Type of role: Permanent or maximum fixed term contract as per employing office’s standard terms and conditions.
Reports To: Global Risk Advisor
Travel Required: Low
- Plan International is delivering it’s updated Global Strategy, ‘Girls Standing Strong’.
- As part of the Governance & Executive team, based at the Global Hub, the Incidents & Risk Officer manages, supports and optimises the systems, processes and reporting around incident management across the organisation, as well as supporting broader risk management projects and crisis response activities.
Dimensions of the Role
- Managing the Incident Management System with 8000+ staff users, liaising with key stakeholders across the organisation to ensure the system is fit to meet user needs, including through the development / provision of reports, whilst adhering to data protection principles
- Supporting and training staff at all levels of the organisation on incident management processes and systems.
- Preparing and analysing incident data to create meaningful reports to meet a range of internal and external requirements.
- Promoting a culture of incident reporting and management across the organisation.
- Providing project management support to global crises as they emerge, ensuring that such crises follow crisis management protocols
- Support other team members with ad-hoc projects on risk management etc.
- The above activities will requite an ability to influence outside formal line management structures, with exceptional interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence and resilience in the face of resistance, as well as flexibility and adaptability.
- No direct reports or budget responsibility.
- Managethe Incident Reporting System, liaising with the Incident Reporting System supplier and internal IT around resolution of technical issues
- Advise on Incident Management practices and procedures to users
- Carry out data quality / cleansing activities on a daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly basis on the Incident Reporting System.
- Identifybarriers to the implementation of incident reporting / management processes and propose appropriate alternatives
- Lead the development, embedding and delivery of learning materials in a variety of methods
- Maintain the daily tracker of queries / actions / requests for support / feedback relating to the Incident Reporting System and ensure continuous support is provided to Country Offices.
- Maintain a good working relationship with Incident Reporting System supplier andand escalate any issues via their online portal.
- Strengthen the tracking of key incident metrics from the incident reporting system and continually seek ways to improve.
- Report Building – work with key stakeholder groups and Incident Reporting System supplierto develop useful reports for both internal and external audiences
- Promote incident reporting and management culture across organisation in co-ordination with other functions
- Ensure that CAMMS:Incident and the incident management process meet data privacy standards
- Co-ordinate and minute Crisis Team and Senior Oversight Group Meetings
- Maintain and update Crisis Logs, including Action / Decision Trackers
- Support the wider Risk & Insurance Team to deliver specific projects as required
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility.
- This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures
- Risk & Insurance Team
- Country / Regional Management (including Country / Regional Directors)
- Functional area leads (e.g. Director of Safety & Security, Head of Counter-Fraud etc)
- Functional teams
- CAMMS:Incident Team
- In crises – the Crisis Team and Senior Oversight Group participants
Technical Expertise, Sskills and Knowledge
- Possess good communication skills internally and externally with partners / suppliers
- Able to influence and build strong relationships with different types of people at all levels, including those over whom the post holder has no direct responsibility.
- Good negotiation skills
- Proficient in Excel
- Have a good understanding of systems and use of technical terms
- Diplomatic, culturally and politically sensitive.
- Self-motivated, efficient and highly organised.
- Highly effective prioritisation of competing requests.
- Strong on delivery and effective completer-finisher.
- Highly professional, customer focussed, constructive and positive in approach.
- Flexible and proactive, resilient, comfortable with and adapts well to change.
- Team player, highly collaborative, able to work effectively in a matrix management structure.
- Committed to the values, aims and objectives of Plan International.
- Fluency in English at business level.
- Experience of managing incident / compliance processes and /or systems
- Experience of working in a multinational and / or International Development Organisations
- Working knowledge of French and / or Spanish
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable:
- We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organisation by being open, honest and transparent.
- We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
We strive for lasting impact:
- We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls.
- We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
We work well together:
- We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organisation, including our sponsors and donors.
- We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals.
- We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
We are inclusive and empowering:
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programmes and our workplace.
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
- Hybrid working environment
Level of contact with children:
- Low contact: No contact or very low frequency of interaction .
- We will be happy to disclose the salary and applicable benefits to applicants as part of this process, however, please kindly note that this will vary according to the location of the appointed candidate and therefore, it is not possible to include full details here
- As an indication if this role was based in the UK the salary would be circa £34,000
Application Closing Date
30th October, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (MS Word)
- Please respond to the requirements of the role in your cover letter.
- Only CVs and cover letters in English will be accepted.
- Plan International will never send unsolicited emails requesting payment from candidates.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Food Distribution Assistant at Plan International
- Head of Logistics at African Initiatives for Relief and Development
- Satellite Technician at CTG
- Radio Communications Technician at CTG
- Satellite Technician at CTG