PAC has established itself as a leading provider of medical aid during humanitarian crises. In addition, PAC recognizes that short term emergency interventions are only a part of a solution to the health care crises that many countries face. We place a strong emphasis is placed on training and equipping local medical staff and hospitals to better support the building of healthcare infrastructure in the countries that PAC works in. By increasing local capacity, PAC ensures that the legacy of its humanitarian work continues.
PAC –Somalia has been operating since 2011, within the SRHR field and works closely with FMOH and receives funds from UNFPA and other partners to support MNCH/SRHR activities in Somalia. To date PAC has funds to support the capacity building of the in service and pre-service activities that are geared to reduce the burden of morbidity and mortality of the vulnerable population.
There is need for service providers to be more receptive to and understanding of the needs of women and girls with regards to accessing sexual and reproductive health services in general and particularly in family planning services. Various capacity building approaches such as trainings, clinical mentorships and on-the-job training helps address this need and by far helps eliminate provider bias and reduce the unmet needs for family planning. PAC and its partners envision a health system that ensures access to quality Birth spacing services and thus is supporting the FMOH to conduct such capacity building activities with funds from UNFPA.
The purpose of the training package is to capacity build FP Service Providers on Post-Partum Family Planning to enable them provide quality Integrated Comprehensive Birth Spacing services. Through these services, they will be able to maximize availability, accessibility and quality of FP services at all service delivery levels.
Scope of work:
The consultant will be hired to spearhead the training on Post-Partum Family Planning (PPF) with special focus to Long Acting Reversible Contraceptive methods (LARC) for the selected health service providers in three different locations in Somalia namely: Puntland State (PL) of Somalia, Somaliland (SL) and the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS). He/she will develop the training curriculum and relevant training materials for postpartum FP training. He/she will carry out 6 days of training in each of the selected locations and ensure the Somali Health workers have the capacity and competency to provide postpartum FP with special focus to Intra- Uterine Contraceptive devices and Implants. Three days of the training will be theory with demonstrations on mannequins and 3 days will be practicum within 3 selected CEmONC health facilities within each of the three locations. This implies that the selected health facilities will have been informed ahead and that women who have recently delivered will either be retained in the post-partum ward or invited to come back to meet with participants in the training and eventually benefit from the services. This is also an opportunity to promote family planning uptake in the health facility during the period of the practicum.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop a curriculum for Postpartum FP services with special focus to Long Acting Reversible FP methods (IUCD-COPPER T-380A and MIRENA and IMPLANTS) for Somalia (Puntland State of Somalia, Federal Government of Somalia and Somaliland)
- Develop all the training materials required to train the health service providers.
- Conduct the training for the targeted health facilities in Puntland, Somaliland, and the Federal Government of Somalia.
- Coach and supervise the participants during practicum to ensure they gain competency in the provision of Post-Partum family planning services.
- Submit 3 training reports for each of the trainings in Puntland State of Somalia, Somaliland, and the Federal Government of Somalia
The duration of the LOE is 27 days comprising of six days of curriculum development, 18 days of training and three days of report writing. The tasks are expected to be completed between 29th July 2023 and 30th August 2023.
The training for FP service providers will take place at Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa
The deliverables below will be delivered electronically.
- Post Partum Family Planning Training curriculum and training materials
- Post Partum FP Training Reports from Puntland, Somaliland, and the Federal Government of Somalia
Direct Supervision by PAC Senior Program Manager and overall supervision and guidance by UNFPA FP Specialist and Chief of Health
Required expertise, qualifications and competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in medicine, Nursing or Midwifery.
- Master’s degree in public health, Obstetrics and gynecology, Public health will be an added advantage
- At least 5 years’ Experience in FP and Sexual Reproductive Health Program
- The Consultant must have proven knowledge and skills in providing and Carrying on Training Post-Partum FP especially Intra-Uterine Contraceptive Devices and Implants
- Fluency in spoken and written English with excellent computer skills.
- Fluency in Somali Language will be an added advantage.
Other Inputs / services to be provided by PAC:
- Flight ticket and other travel arrangements within the three places where services will be delivered.
- Accommodation arrangements
How to apply
Prospective consultants should submit proposals presenting the budget in United States Dollars (USD), clearly indicating the daily consultancy fees. In addition to the financial proposal, they should also present a technical proposal indicating the methodology to be employed for the assignment. The proposals should be in agreement with the timelines that have been included in these Terms of Reference.
Interested parties should send their CV and proposals to email@example.com and copy to Anthony@physiciansac.org on or before 16th July 2023, 4.00 pm (GMT+3).
Selection will be based on a competitive analysis of the proposals submitted by the applicants.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Teleradiology Assistant at International Organization for Migration
- ToR for International Consultant to undertake gap analysis of training programmes offered in Ethiopia against international best practices and capac
- Country Programme Lead at Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund
- Portfolio Officer at Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund
- Family Counsellor at Tushinde Children’s Trust