World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Infectious Hazard Management (IHM) Officer
Job ID: 2304860
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 12 months
Objectives of the Programme
- The mission of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme is to help countries, and to coordinate international action to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from outbreaks and emergencies.
Description of Duties
- Under the supervision and guidance of the Technical Officer-IHM, the incumbent supports the prevention and control of diseases with a high threat of pandemic and epidemic potential through coordination of prediction, outbreak investigation, characterization of infectious diseases and/or risks, and implementation of evidence-based strategies to manage outbreaks and risks.
- He/she works with MOH, other sectors and partners.
- He/she facilities the adaptation of the guidelines to meet specific requirements for any potential disease outbreak prevention and control activities.
- More specifically, the incumbent will: Advise on the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of national strategies and plans for the prevention and control of diseases with a high risk of pandemic and epidemic potential and ensuring compliance with WHO guideline and standards. Monitor and support early detection, verification evaluation and investigation of outbreaks, risks and providing prevention, and control eﬀorts.
- Adapt infections risk management policies, concepts, tools and global strategies and manage their implementation at the country level for the prevention and control of epidemic prone diseases.
- Work with partners, improve epidemic control approaches and methods in diﬀerent epidemiological situations.
- Develop periodic reports on infectious risk activities, support information systems and facilitate integration with national health information systems, as appropriate.
- Contribute to surveillance and risk analysis related to infectious diseases; Participate in the activities of rapid response teams responsible for rapid investigation of alerts, risk assessments in the field and detection and early response.
- Ensure risk communication messages are technically correct and sociocultural appropriate to engage and empower stakeholders in the prevention, mitigation and control of infectious risks.
- Formulate recommendations and provide guidance on relevant courses of action in aﬀected and unaﬀected areas to prevent and/or control the cause of excess morbidity and mortality.
- Provide technical assistance on immunization, enhanced surveillance, infection prevention and control (including personal protection, improved sanitation and hygiene, increased provision of water and/or nutrients, pre-positioning medicines and medical supplies, vector control, etc. in close collaboration with other technical teams.
- Provide analysis of public health risks, needs and capacities and advise on priority interventions for WHO and partners including on challenges and operational course corrections as applicable or as required. Document lessons learnt in the field.
- Promote multidisciplinary and cross- cutting approaches and activities to facilitate full participation within, outside of WHO and with key partners.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Essential: First University Degree in Medicine, Nursing, Environmental Health or other health related fields
- Desirable: Specialized training in infectious diseases or masters in Field Epidemiology or MPH.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in the planning, development and implementation of the infectious disease control and prevention program, including epidemic prevention and control, infectious risk management and/or dangerous pathogens.
- Relevant experience with interagency mechanisms used to coordinate preparedness and response to health emergencies
- Related experience in within WHO and/or UN agencies, health cluster partners or humanitarian organizations
- Demonstrated knowledge of infectious diseases, particularly in areas critical to promoting a public health perspective and approach, such as the epidemiology of infectious diseases, prevention or control, clinical management and important practices.
- Proven ability to coordinate and manage projects, build partnerships with multiple partners in the context of health emergencies
- Good tactical thinking with the ability to formulate clear and comprehensive strategies and plans.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to multitask and produce results under pressure
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at NGN 28,030,973 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
Application Closing Date
8th June, 2023; 10:59:00 PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- UI/UX ENGINEER at Farsight Africa Group
- API SOFTWARE ENGINEER at Farsight Africa Group
- Évaluation mi-parcours et finale du programme PARJII : Programme d’Appui à la Réforme de la Justice, phase 2
- Consultancy service for a Rapid assessment on the state of labour market information system in Cameroon
- Network Administrator – Kenya National Hire at Church World Service