International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Job Title: Informatics Technical Advisor (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – CDC)
Department/Location: Institutional Support & Program Implementation (ISPI) Practice/ Pretoria, South Africa
Reports To: Principal, ISPI Practice
Type: Regular Full-Time (approximately 6/15/2023 to 6/14/2028)
Clearance Type: Facilities
Overview: Strengthening and supporting health systems are a primary focus of The U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief’s (PEPFAR) new Five-Year Strategy as part of an emphasis on sustainability of the HIV response in South Africa and on sustainability of PEPFAR investments. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) South Africa supports the Government of South Africa to reduce fragmentation in its health management information systems (HIS) and promote creation of national unique patient identifier and a comprehensive electronic medical record (EMR) system; better utilize data collected from HIS to improve quality of patient care; and strengthen program monitoring of government of South Africa and PEPFAR investments. IBTCI seeks an Informatics Technical Advisor to provide Health Information System (HIS) support services to satisfy these overall operational objectives of CDC South Africa by providing expert scientific direction and input in the areas of HIS design, implementation and utilization.
This is a live proposal. This vacancy will be hired subject to IBTCI being awarded the activity.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide relevant technical support and guidance to existing PEPFAR technical staff and cooperative agreement implementing partners.
- Support the increased availability and quality of data for evidence-based monitoring and development, capacity building and increase data use at the national, sub-national, and facility levels.
- Strengthen data management and quality improvement, aligning PEPFAR and Government of South Africa indicators and reporting systems.
- Provide expert scientific advice, consultation, and leadership in designing, coordinating, and maintaining public health informatics project goals, objectives, and priorities.
- Build technical informatics capacity within the CDC South Africa team.
- Manage projects involved with public health informatics and serves as a subject matter expert in the utilization and implementation of IT systems integrating epidemiologic and other information from a scientific perspective.
- Implement scientific policies and procedures on informatics practices and principles.
- Assist CDC South Africa with the development of proposals and work plans for implementing Health Information Management System.
- Health information Management System (HMIS)-related activities
- Conduct site meeting and visits to CDC South Africa and implementing partners to assess, monitor, and evaluate implementation of HMIS programs against goals and objectives.
- Develop strategies to meet short and long-range goals for the applicable program and assures that strategies reflect most promising directions in research, preventive, and clinical approaches as it relates to public health informatics.
- Coordinate the sharing of health related informational materials so that scientific advice and assistance is shared.
- Apply new methods, approaches, and technology to new and unusual situations and these methods have broad applications in the field.
- Collaborate and provide expert scientific advice to a variety of nation-wide and international organizations to synthesize and implement informatics policies and directions for future development.
- Collaborate with and provide expert advice to all organizational levels with the agency, as well as with various partner organizations.
- Other duties as required.
- International experience working with Ministries/Departments of Health, with a strong preference for prior work experience working with South Africa’s National Department of Health.
- Experience in analyzing data from PEPFAR information systems including DATIM, Expenditure Analysis, and SIMS.
- Advanced training in epidemiology and public health evaluation.
- Must be able to obtain security clearance (Public Trust) by the National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI) and a Credit Check, and possible Minimum or Limited Background Investigation.
- Oral and written fluency in English required, fluency in another language preferred.
Education: Graduate degree in informatics, computer science, or other related field.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: 2 trips to international location (including United States) for up to 5 days plus travel. 10 trips within South Africa for up to 5 days plus travel.
Work Authorization: Only U.S. citizens or non-U.S. citizens who have lived in the U.S. at least three of the last five years are eligible to provide services under this task order. The exception to this is an incumbent non-U.S. citizen contractor employee with current, valid security clearance for physical and logical access to CDC and embassy facilities and network. If the exception stated above is used, do not include any contractor employee who is considered an ordinarily resident in your proposal. Ordinarily resident: A U.S. citizen or Third Country National who: (1) is a local resident;(2) has legal, permanent resident status within the host country; and (3) is subject to host country employment and tax laws. This also includes host country citizens.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
About the Organization:
IBTCI has been in business since 1987. We specialize in Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL), Institutional Support (IS), Financial & Risk Management (FRM), Supply Chain Management & Procurement (SCMP); Social & Behavior Change (SBC) and Capacity Building. We provide these services across many sectors including, but not limited to, agriculture, resilience & food security, conflict & crisis, democracy & governance, economic growth & trade, education, energy & infrastructure, environment & climate change, global health & WASH and humanitarian and disaster assistance. At IBTCI, our colleagues are encouraged to collaborate and be part of the solution while getting the tools and guidance needed to grow and support our clients’ missions.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identification, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact the Talent Acquisition team at TalentAcquisition@ibtci.com (Do not send your resume to this account, for consideration please apply in our career page, https://careers.ibtci.com/jobs).
How to apply
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- FSL Program Manager at Solidarites International
- Climate Change and Environmental Education Consultant (Remote) at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- Procurement Officer at Save the Children Nigeria
- Logistic Officer at Save the Children Nigeria
- National Consultant at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)