Title: Infrastructure Development Advisor
We are hiring an Infrastructure Development Advisor to join our Emergency Response team in South Sudan. This Advisor is responsible for the development of all infrastructure/construction project activities such as school infrastructures, health facilities improvement, WASH facilities, roads, bridges, office premises, etc. You will provide technical support on managing construction and rehabilitation activities in the program area. If you are searching for more than just a job, but a career with lasting impact, come see how we accomplish that!
A day in the life of an Infrastructure Development Advisor, Emergency Response:
At Samaritan’s Purse, the Gospel really is the center of all we do! We start each day with a time of devotions and spend time praying for each other, our staff and volunteers who serve around the globe.
In the role of Infrastructure Development Advisor, you will have the opportunity to:
- Maintain your personal relationship with Jesus Christ and be an effective witness for Him
- Serve as focal point for technical inputs with regards to grant design and preparation of Bill of Quantities (BoQs), budgets, and proposal narratives
- Undertake technical assessments for small scale community infrastructure projects including buildings/community centers, hospitals, schools, roads, bridges, water points
- Analyze requests for new rehabilitation and/or construction works to advise the team
- Carry out assessments and prepare regular reports and recommendations for follow up actions and review.
- Collaborate with contracted firms and construction teams to provide guidance throughout the process including site selection, layout, blueprint development, safety protocols, and compliance. This includes regular visits to oversee, monitor and inspect progress
- Ensure architectural plans follow best practices in design and construction
- Prepare documentation for purchase requests and requests for quotes
- Participate in and provide technical input during the bidding and contract process.
- Interpret plans and specifications and project milestones to ensure compliance with requirements, project timeframe and to resolve questions as to intent of same.
- Lead collaborative approaches to problem solving between key stakeholders.
- Work closely with local communities, stakeholders, and authorities to coordinate participation in and implementation of stated requirements and makes recommendations on how to resolve conflict.
- Ensure that all complaints and requests for information are handled promptly and properly.
- Take timely action on potential delays and/or cost overruns that can either be prevented or mitigated are quickly reported with recommended remedial actions for Samaritan’s Purse leadership approval.
- Ensure all administrative aspects of construction project management are completed according to procedures.
- Develop operation and maintenance plan (O&M) for each site and conducts training program for grantees for understanding and implementation of O&M plans.
- All other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Experience:
- Master’s degree in civil engineering with a certification as a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) and five (5) years of experience; or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Experience in low-cost, context-appropriate small-scale infrastructure design and management of the related procurements
- Experience managing construction projects from the design phase to the close out/retention period with in-kind grants management experience, including knowledge of community-led programming
- Experience working in conflict zones, specifically within sub-Saharan Africa or South Sudan
- Thorough knowledge of USAID rules and regulations (including environmental protocols)
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Excel and other computer applications
- Strong management skills in a complex operating environment and ability to pivot as needed based on operating environment
- Strong reporting, writing, analytical, organizational & interpersonal skills
- Ability to coach and mentor others and keep teams up to date with relevant information and produce timely reports
- 12 credit hours of college-level Biblical Studies (can be completed after hire)
Job Location: Unity State, South Sudan
Language Requirement: Fluency in English (required); Knowledge of Arabic preferred
Travel Expectations: Domestic travel within South Sudan approximately 30 days/year; required travel documents and vaccinations for entry into foreign countries will be necessary
- International medical, prescription, dental & vision insurance
- Paid Family Medical Leave
- Retirement savings plan
- Paid holidays
- 12 vacation/personal days
- 10 sick days
- When at IHQ, on-site Medical Clinic (staff and dependents)
Samaritan’s Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God’s love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Job City Unity State