Job Title: Intern – Programmes
Programme Manager – Sudan
Nairobi with possibility of accompanying programme staff to workshops and field visits to South Kordofan, Sudan
Description of Position:
Provision of efficient programme and grants management support to the South Kordofan (SKN) programme with oversight from the Programme Manager
Safeguarding Programme Participants
Trócaire is committed to safeguarding people within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives.
Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
All offers of employment will be subject to pre-employment checks including satisfactory references and appropriate screening (e.g. police/garda vetting, counter terrorism and anti-trafficking).
Trócaire also participates in the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and all employees will be subject to this as part of contract of employment.
Reporting to the Programme Manager, this is a (fixed term contract) for a period of initially six months (with the possibility of extension) and is based in Trocaire’s Global Support Office in Nairobi, Kenya.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the Programme Manager in drawing annual action plans with the partners and driving the process of smooth implementation for quality programming
- Provide guidance and support to partners on development of annual work plans, budgets and MEAL plans
- Coordinate grants “Kick off”, Induction, review and closure meetings at project level and support timely close out processes for projects
- Ensure timely, accurate monthly reporting from partners to allow consolidation and submission of the programme and finance report within the set timelines
- Provide regular reports on grants performance to the Programme Manager
- Together with the Programme Accountant, develop and implement institutional strengthening tools/plans for the partners.
- Develop action plans on all findings and work with partners to initiate the recommendations and close up
- Maintain an updated grants matrix for each partner that informs regular decision making as well as used as a reference tool when reviewing partner cash requests
- Support in the consolidation of monthly, quarterly, and annual programme and donor specific reports
- Contribute to the planning and development of projects including proposal development process with partners
- Support in development of articles, case studies and success stories on SKN programme for visibility and fundraising purposes
Grants Management & Compliance
- Support with the preparation of outgoing agreements, disbursements to partners, reconciliations and maintaining grants file and tracker
- Ensure timely training of project and partner staff to understand and comply fully with donor requirements.
- Manage grant agreements by ensuring compliance with the terms, rules, regulations, legal and regulatory requirements governing the award through closeout
- Identify partners capacity strengthening needs on donor compliance and in collaboration with relevant project staff, organise and assist in capacity strengthening workshops for partners
- Provide information during grants audits and compliance reviews at project level
- Assist in the compilation and updating of inventory of non-expendable items/asset register (for the Nairobi and SKN Offices)
- Support the preparation for project related meetings including logistics, flights, transport, procurement of venue and budget preparation
- Assist with the scheduling of internal and external meetings or workshops, developing necessary background materials, and report/minutes preparation
- Support in central filing and updating grants information on Trocaire’s cloud-based information management system (Box, Salesforce)
- Maintain orderly files on on-going projects and projects and documentation on Trocaire’s system
- Assists in updating of dashboard presentations that showcase project delivery KPIs
Additional details of exceptional aspects of the job
- Able to work under pressure and adhere to tight deadlines on a wide range of tasks
- Able to keep abreast of developments in the sector as a whole
- Any other task, which may be assigned from time to time by the Programme Manager
Behavioural Competencies in Line with Trócaire’s Competency Framework
- Leading: Reflecting our values of Participation & Accountability, acts to inspire and lead others to achieve their potential, demonstrating Trócaire’s values with integrity in order to achieve our organisation’s objectives.
- Communicating: Reflecting our value of Participation, being one organisation, communicating clearly and transparently across, teams, units, divisions, locations and other external organisations. Getting our message across with impact.
- Collaborating: Reflecting our values of Participation & Solidarity, partnering effectively as One Trócaire organisation and, in solidarity, maintains positive relationships built on trust and respect.
- Stewardship of Resources: Reflecting our value of Accountability and decision-making around the best use of resources. Using our resources transparently, sustainably, ethically, fairly & with integrity; acknowledging Trócaire’s reputation in the use of resources.
- Delivering Results: Reflecting our values of Accountability & Perseverance, getting a quality job done through effective performance, planning and decision making.
- Continual Improvement & Learning: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, constantly looking to learn and develop self, employees, and partners to better fulfil Trócaire’s’ mission.
- Flexibility & Change: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, adapts positively to change and to different ways of doing things; manages or takes part in change processes in a way that is appropriate to role in the organisation.
Qualifications, Attributes and Other requirements specific to the role
- Degree in related field (Development Studies, Project management or related field) with willingness to learn and appreciation of programme planning and management, and communication
- At least 6 months experience working in an organisation setting
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills
- High degree of self-initiative and attention to detail
- Knowledge of basic Project Cycle Management knowledge
- Strong relationship management and positive approach
- Excellent team player and an ability to contribute to a strong dynamic team
- Good report writing and communication skills
- High degree of reliability, integrity and honesty
- Willingness to learn and expand knowledge
- An empathy with the values of Catholic Social Teaching.
- Job City Kenya