International Finance Corporation (IFC) is a member of the World Bank Group. It is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises.
Sustainable infrastructure is critical for addressing developmental challenges in emerging markets. IFC offers long-term financing and industry-leading expertise to develop infrastructure projects that provide essential services including energy & electricity, telecommunications, transportation, water & and sanitation, natural resources in partnership with the private sector. As part of the World Bank Group, we also work with governments and development partners to create a business environment that attracts private capital to infrastructure sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Investment Officer
Job Number: req20105
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
- The Africa Infrastructure team is seeking an Investment Officer for our office in Lagos, Nigeria. The selected candidate will report to the New Business Manager Infrastructure North Africa, Lusophone West Africa, Horn of Africa & Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Investment Officer will identify new investment opportunities, execute transactions, and actively manage portfolio projects predominantly in Nigeria.
- Business Development: Gather market intelligence, source and assess opportunities, anticipate market trends, and by employing sector/country knowledge identify bankable projects then synthesize information into internal reports for decision making purposes.
- S/he will also support the development of client strategies and pitchbooks.
- Structuring and Negotiation: Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new debt and equity transactions, portfolio restructurings, capital increases, equity sales, etc. This shall include performing credit and risk assessments, financial projections, covenant compliance reviews (debt), and general supervision.
- Deal Execution and Transaction Management: Lead straightforward investment transactions incorporating lessons learned from IFC’s earlier investments, portfolio management or advisory mandates.
- Deliver all transactions and accountabilities of the role efficiently, on a timely and expeditious basis and using best practice standards.
- Ensure that defined transactional requirements recorded in documentation are executed accordingly. Monitor the portfolio and report development results internally and externally.
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental, legal, and technical assistance colleagues in structuring transactions, to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to project and sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact.
- Strategy Development and Knowledge Sharing: Contribute to drafting strategies for sectors, countries, or regions for business development; and develop and execute strategies for more complex client engagements with the objective of building a robust investment pipeline.
- Build IFC’s knowledge base for best practices and participate in knowledge sharing and dissemination. Initiate collaboration and share expertise as a subject matter expert, providing advice, peer review and contribution to knowledge products across WBG to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions.
- Promoting the IFC brand and representing IFC at various conferences and workshops.
- Coordination with WBG: Support World Bank and MIGA colleagues on sector reform and unblocking constraints to attracting private sector capital.
- Mentoring and coaching: Mentor and coach junior team members to help build talent and grow the skill base of staff.
- Master’s Degree in Finance or similar relevant education.
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in a development finance institution, investment/corporate banking, project finance, infrastructure project development, and/or equity investing.
- Strong analytical and financial structuring skills (including financial modeling experience) and sound business judgement.
- Proven track-record of sourcing, structuring, and closing private investment projects in infrastructure sectors, ideally including investments in Africa.
- Strong business development and client relationship skills demonstrated by track record; sound business judgment in screening and identifying leads.
- Broad understanding of infrastructure sectors such as power, transportation, water & and sanitation, natural resources, telecom/technology, industry drivers, latest trends and changes, and standard market transaction arrangements; a deep knowledge within one of the infrastructure sectors and understanding of infrastructure challenges faced by countries within the region are highly desirable.
- Appreciation of legal, technical, environmental, social, and other considerations in project and corporate finance.
- Project finance and equity investment experience is essential; strong credit skills backed by references and deal sheet; demonstrated ability to structure complex debt and equity transactions.
- Track record of portfolio supervision of complex projects.
- The position requires regional and international travel; hence the candidate should be willing and open to travel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
- Proactive, self-motivated, and well-organized.
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.
Application Closing Date
4th December, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Officer, Strategic Engagement and Partnerships at the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
- Grants Officer at Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
- Country Director at Food for the Hungry
- Program Design Officer at Development Aid
- Disability Inclusion Specialist M/F – Ethiopia/Somaliland at Handicap International – Humanity & Inclusion