Position Title: Janitor
Reports To: Office Manager
Division: Immigration & Refugee Program+ (IRP+)
Department: Administration, Office Management
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Grade Level: Grade 1, National
Introduction: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
This position is primarily responsible for office maintenance.
- Thoroughly cleans the RSC offices, bathrooms, kitchens and walkways as assigned.
- Observes the office environment, ensures that the fire exits are always kept clear and promptly reports any potentially hazardous situations such as slippery floors, loose electric wires or sockets.
- Ensures that all the office windows and various interior and exterior doors and grills are closed and securely locked at the end of every business day.
(Note: the final responsibility for office locking rests with the management staff locking up on any particular day).
- Ensures that all photocopiers and printers have been checked for documents and switched off at the end of every business day. Any document found should be turned over to the management staff locking up on any particular day.
- Ensures that non-essential equipment is switched off and only the minimum equipment required is switched on.
- Reports any equipment that sounds or appears broken or in need of repair, including door and window locks that need lubrication, tightening or replacement, leaky water taps etc.
- Undertakes odd jobs such as minor repairs and window cleaning in coordination with the Senior Janitor.
- Monitors stock levels of supplies needed for cleaning and maintenance and submits timely requisitions for additional supplies.
- Ensures that all the bathrooms are well stocked with soap, hand towels, tissues papers, air fresheners, etc. at all times.
- Assists in general office duties as assigned e.g. photocopying, shredding, packing and moving of files.
- Ensures that the indoor plants are watered and cleaned.
- Does routine daily purchases e.g. daily papers, milk and prepares tea/coffee for RSC visitors.
- Performs any other duties which are developed and assigned in order to improve the operations of RSC Africa.
- General office work experience preferred.
- Prior employment in a cleaning company/hospitality is preferred.
Education & Certifications:
- High School Certificate is required.
- Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
- Maintain the integrity of official records.
- Analyse and solve complex problems and make sound decisions.
- Work with minimal supervision.
- Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail.
- Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa.
- Team work.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
- Time management.
- Receiving feedback.
- Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
- COVID Vaccination is strongly recommended for all successful candidates.
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa.
- This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
- This position may require use of laptops. Competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program.
- Background check which includes references and an educational and criminal check is required before the start of employment for International applicants.
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- Full time.
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Any other special requirements that may be developed by Leadership and/or Management teams.
- Job City Kenya
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Facility Management and Logistics Advisor (Abuja) at Palladium Group
- Pharmacy Storekeeper at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) – WaCA (2 Openings)
- Request for Proposals (RFP) – Provision of Human Resource Services at Global Communities
- Communication Intern at Action Network for the Disabled
- Construction Officer at Windle International Kenya