Scope: Journalism & Media Trainer will develop a training curriculum and implement the program to 8 journalists and 3 Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) from Iraq with the goal to increase the capacity of women to lead processes and manage teams/projects in their own processional realm. This includes developing a program that is tailored to support production and publication of pieces with topics/angles chosen by the participants, in addition to leadership and management skills.
Media in Cooperation and Transition (MiCT) gGmbH is a German media development organisation that implements projects in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. MiCT’s activities focus on the interplay between conflict, media coverage and reconciliation.
For the past 12 years MiCT has been conducting investigative reporting training and has produced investigative reports in cooperation with local journalists in Iraq, Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, Sudan & South Sudan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, as well as several countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
For more information on MiCT please visit our website: https://mict-international.org/
MiCT has trained 30 Iraqi CSOs who focus on women related issues on public relations and social media, and in addition, trained 20 Iraqi female journalists on leadership, team management, basic concept of gender, and identifing sexisim. The two trainings ended with a networking event that included five keynote speakers, all women leaders in journalism, civil society and government who shared their stories in reaching leadership positions and discussed emerging issues in Iraq.Out of roughly 30 CSOs and 20 Journalists from the previous program, a select number of participants from both groups (3 CSOs and 8 Journalists) will be supported in a targeted upskilling program, codesigned by the participants themselves. All previous participants will be able to apply for funds— journalists through a service contract, CSOs through a micro-fund—to be used to support their own project pitches. MiCT staff and program trainers/consultants will choose the recipients along explicit selection criteria and implement a capacity building and production program targeting their needs.
The program will be created through a co-design process allowing participants and trainers to identify the capacities most needed for their own contexts, find external partners to engage for support and guidance, and sketch out the design of their training/consultation programs to accommodate their own needs.
- Develop an engaging curriculum on leadership training, production skills, incorporating lessons learned from previous project.
- Train and mentor journalists to design, and work on their journalistic productions.
- Work with women journalists and CSOs to develop a network structure through training and grant management.
- Work with Media Campaigner, M&E Coordinator, and support participants in creating their campaigns
- Support journalists to create and publish their journalistic productions.
- Support in recruitment of participants in the training program.
- Minimum of 4 years of professional experience managing a media outlet, conducting training for journalists or editors, and/or producing/editing quality online news or featured content.
- Demonstrated expertise as a trainer, editorial or managerial consultant/mentor, or in a related educational role working with media professionals, particularly in online training.
- Professional fluency in modern techniques for digital storytelling, audience engagement, and multi-platform reporting preferred.
- Strong knowledge of the media sector in Iraq.
- Fluency in Arabic and proficiency in English (speaking, reading, writing) are essential.
- High professionalism, self-motivation, efficiency, and results-oriented delivery on short timelines.
- Ability to adjust quickly to changing conditions and requirements.
- Experience and familiarity with gender related issues and the political situation in Iraq.
- Ideally based in Iraq
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and CV (in 1 document) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Journalism Trainer” in the subject line.