The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Junior Procurement Officer
Vacancy Number: 099
GIZ. Solutions that Work:
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security. The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020).
- GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
Skills Development for Youth Employment (SKYE) Programme:
- The GIZ Programme “Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)” supports the diversification of the economy in Nigeria through the promotion of demand oriented technical and vocational training and education (TVET). Hereby, the project is focusing mainly on the automotive, ICT and other sectors.
- The strategy of the project is to improve the synergy between measures on the demand side for employment (i.e. skilled persons that followed vocational qualification measures, formal and informal TVET and Agricultural-VET (ATVET) measures) with those of the employment supply side (i.e. promotion of a pro-employment environment in the private sector through e.g. job centers, job fairs, short-term training and internship programmes, etc.).
- The purpose is to develop the match-making between the supply and demand of skilled labor force and hence to contribute to the decrease of youth unemployment in the country.
Responsibilities and Tasks
The Procurement Officer is responsible for:
- Coordinating effectively with colleagues in the Programme admin/ Finance team and with procurement officers at Country Office and Head Office
- Procures materials, services and equipment, monitor markets, issues invitations to tender and processes orders in accordance with GIZ regulations
- Contract Draft on Program level and review third party and Country Office draft Contracts related to SKYE activities
- Supporting and advising colleagues and partners in all matters of procurement according to GIZ standards.
The tasks of a Procurement Officer are:
- Procurement Planning (Material and Services)
- Materials and Services sourcing
- Conduct full-cycle Tender for Materials and Services – RFP, RFQ, RFI, Bid Analysis, Contract/Order Award across locations/regions.
- Contract Draft on Program level and
- Contract Review as well as contract tracking
- Order Issuance – Raise and follow-up with signing of Purchase Orders
- Check prospective Vendors for capacity to meet and follow GIZ policies and management of Supplier data base.
- Partner pre-qualification (Suitability Check) under Guidance
- Contract and Material Request review for Completeness, Accuracy & Compliance with PuR
- Market & Service Market Research
- Invoice Processing and Payment Tracking
- Procurement Documentation and Filing, uploading in DMS
- Procurement Analysis & Report
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- B.Sc in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business Administration, or similar area of study.
- Relevant professional qualification is an added advantage.
- Maximum of 3 years professional experience in a comparable position.
Desired Additional Qualifications, Competencies, and Experiences:
- Confidential handling of data and information
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Knowledge of administrative procedures and systems, managing files and records, and other office procedures
- English language proficiency (written and oral)
- Detail oriented and ability to work under minimal supervision and to show initiative and resourcefulness
- Willingness to undergo further training in accordance with the tasks
- Ability to work well and cooperatively within a diverse (culturally, ethnically) work community
- A good team player who is willing to take on responsibility.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 3.
Application Closing Date
7th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: email@example.com using “Vacancy No. 099” as the subject of the email.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity.
- All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Senior Governance Advisor and Office Administrator at the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- Operations Specialist (Risk Compliance) at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- WASH Manager at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- Cashier (Finance & Administrative Assistant) at the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- State Project Coordinator at United Purpose (UP)