Position: Landscape Ecologist
By sharing knowledge and science, CABI tackles global issues like poverty, hunger, education, equality, sustainability, climate change and biodiversity. We do this by helping farmers grow more and lose less of what they produce, combating threats to agriculture and the environment from pests and diseases, protecting natural habitats from invasive species, and improving access to scientific knowledge.
CABI is an international, inter-governmental, not-for-profit organization that improves people’s lives worldwide by providing information and applying scientific expertise to solve problems in agriculture and the environment. Our approach involves putting information, skills and tools into people’s hands. CABI’s 49 Member Countries guide and influence our work which is delivered by scientific staff based in our global network of centres.
CABI is committed to making a difference, playing its part in creating a brighter, more equitable and sustainable future.
You can learn more at:www.cabi.org
- PhD degree in ILM, restoration ecology, soil health, natural resource management, land use planning or related subject areas with a minimum of 3-4 years of relevant post-doctoral experience;
- Proven experience in inter- or transdisciplinary project work as well as participatory approaches;
- Proven experience in project development and obtaining funds;
- Proven experience in successful project planning and management, both technically and financially;
- Good knowledge of quantitative (and qualitative) research methods and statistical analyses would be desirable;
- Background in biological control of invasive alien plants would be a benefit;
- Fluency in English with excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Fluency in at least one other language, preferably Swahili;
- Strong scientific publication record
- Strong organisational, learning and leadership skills;
- Ability to think in a structured and strategic way;
- A team player with good interpersonal, communication and networking skills;
- Comfortable working on one’s own initiative as well as following advice;
- Robust with operational grip and capacity to handle a demanding workload;
- Flexible and creative in planning and problem solving;
- Ability to work well in a multicultural environment.
Grade: HAY Band 6
Reporting to: Senior Scientist – Invasive Species Management
Duration: 3-year contract; Renewable
Direct reports: Two Junior staff
This job description is not intended to be exhaustive. It is expected that the post holder and CABI will adopt a flexible attitude and accept that the duties may have to be varied according to circumstances, in particular changing corporate requirements and individual development needs.
WHAT WE OFFER:
We aim to recruit and retain passionate people who have the necessary skills, knowledge and commitment to help us achieve our mission. Our benefits are designed to make our lives easier, improve our work-life balance, save money and safeguard our well-being. They include:
· Competitive salary
· Defined contribution pension scheme with employee contribution that CABI will double-match up to 10% of gross salary
· 30 days of annual leave (including public holidays)
· An Employee Assistance Programme, with a full calendar of health and well-being initiatives
· Life assurance and long service awards
· Flexible working options including family friendly policies
· Career development opportunities including internal promotions, mentoring and Development Bursary to visit another CABI centre.
· A culture committed to being a fully inclusive, enjoyable and fulfilling place to work.
We are a thriving international organisation attracting a diverse range of talented people from around the world. Our staff currently comprises over 30 nationalities and as an equal opportunity’s employer we welcome applications from candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation or marital status. No applicant will be disadvantaged by conditions which cannot be shown to be justified and selection will be based on merit.
How to apply
To apply please submit your CV and a covering letter to Cabi www.cabi.org/careers 14 April, 2023.
Visit us on LinkedIn to find out more about working at CABI.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- UN·E RESPONSABLE CONTRATS BAILLEURS ET REPORTING at Action Contre la Faim France
- UN·E AREA COORDINATOR – ITURI at Action Contre la Faim France
- A FIELD COORDINATOR – MUEDA at Action Contre la Faim France
- Head of Project Strengthening Partnerships at Welthungerhilfe
- Laboratory Logistics Advisor at Chemonics