Committed To Good (CTG) is an award-winning private sector company that enables humanitarian and development projects in conflict zones. As a people solutions business, we recruit, deploy and manage the right people with the right skills to implement projects in the world’s toughest regions.
Having worked in more than 25 fragile and conflict-affected countries, we pride ourselves on hiring 90% local employees, providing decent, dignified work and new opportunities in fragile communities. 90% of our turnover goes back into the local economy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: LGA Facilitator
Vacancy ID: VAC-8217
Locations: Sokoto, Yobe, Kastina, Kano, Kaduna, Zaria & Taraba
Start date: 01-Oct-2022
Duration: 3 months
Number of vacancies: 10
Overview of Position
- In 2020, Nigeria was declared WPV free for having gone without any WPV case for over 4 years.
- However, Nigeria is still experiencing outbreaks of cVDPV2 due low routine immunization coverage, which is further complicated by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Nigeria had 1,028 cVDPV2 in 2021 of which 420 were AFP cases & 123 in 2022 as of 22 August, of which 33 are AFP cases.
- Risk communication & social mobilization are critical components in the outbreak response, campaigns & routine immunization to curb the hike of cVDPV2.
- It utilises the Volunteer Community Mobiliser (VCM) network of more than 18,500 members deployed in 12 high risk states in the northern part of Nigeria, working closely with stakeholders, caregivers & the community at large to promote vaccination.
- Members of the network conduct active, community based AFP case search & reporting, house to house visits, organise compound meetings & community dialogues, track new born & under 5 children, give 0 dose polio vaccinations, engage members of polio survivors group, track & vaccinate children at internally displaced camps, refer pregnant women to health facilities & under 1 children for routine vaccination & systematically track & vaccinate missed & non compliant children during in between rounds activities in their assigned settlements.
- The network is supervised through a comprehensive network of Facilitators at ward, LGA & state levels.
- The VCM network is a proven catalyst for change & a standard for community engagement at the grassroots level to drive community mobilisation for polio & routine immunization, individual & group health education sessions & promotion of essential family practices.
- State & LGA facilitators, as supervisors to the VCM network, are key actors who have supervised the VCM network in raising community awareness, tracking the new born & their immunization status, promoting behaviour change & engaging prominent influencers to resolve non compliance & reached out to underserved population since 2012. In the era of post WPV, their intensified communication is expected to contribute immensely to the polio outbreak responses & lingering immunization challenges of Nigeria.
- Our client has the need to sustain & strengthen its support in intensive community engagement & social mobilization with particular focus on ensuring improved coordination & partnership with key community leaders of underserved populations & in polio high risk states.
- One of the key approaches in community mobilization is the identification, sensitization & engagement of prominent influencers in underserved & mobile communities. Intensified engagement with the religious institutions in Nigeria is critical to addressing key communication challenges that the immunization program is facing.
- There are still lingering challenges with small groups predominantly in northern Nigeria which has resulted in non compliance with a correspondingly high number of children remaining unvaccinated against vaccine preventable diseases both during campaign & routine immunisation.
- These Facilitators will be located at the state & LGA level with frequent trips to the LGAs & wards.
- Emphasis will be on SBC approaches to ensure successful polio outbreak responses, improve routine immunization & to support emergency non polio SIA, including COVID-19 vaccines.
- Supervise team of Volunteer Ward Supervisors (VWS), Polio Survivor Group (PSG) & Volunteer Community Mobilizers (VCM) in his / her area(s) through regular monitoring, capacity building & supportive supervision.
- Work within specified LGA(s), with its ward & settlement teams to ensure deeper ward / settlement analysis, planning & implementation of strategic communications interventions. The specific communication interventions to be implemented in each area will be informed by guidance from national & complemented by local knowledge, social data & unique characteristics of the wards / settlements.
- Consult with our clients SBC & State Facilitator to mobilize & ensure the effective organization & functioning of LGA social mobilization task team.
- Support LGA Health Educator in meetings of the LGA social mobilization team to plan, implement & report on communication interventions in support of the polio & non polio SIA programs & targeting high risk wards within the state as well as implementation of programmatic SBC activities within the LGA.
- Conduct regular community mapping exercises to identify vulnerable groups, hard to reach communities, strategic communication & mobilization delivery points & channels for messaging, advocacy & public education (micro planning).
- Identify training needs / gaps of various groups & seek support from our clients SBC & State Facilitator to implement capacity building activities to fill knowledge gaps & address deficiencies.
- Identify & engage key local level influencers such as district heads, religious leaders, women groups, town announcers, traditional dancers, pharmacists, social & cultural groups & support the planning & implementation of such activities as mop up activities, use of local town announcers & special events, to create high levels of public awareness to resolve non compliance & reduce missed children & raise visibility of SBC & SocMob activities in general as advised.
- Monitor the relevance & use of IEC materials & make specific recommendations to our clients SBC & State Lead on their adaptability to local reality.
- Spend adequate time working with various community groups & monitor all SBC activities so that our clients support to local level interventions & their impact can be documented across all of our clients programs (Health / Polio, WASH, Education, Nutrition, Child Protection).
- Track the delivery & efficient utilization of campaign social mobilization funds at LGA level.
- Report on how funds are spent to support various communication activities & facilitate, in coordination with our clients SBC & State Facilitator, the effective use of SocMob funds (channelled through the govt. departments) at the state, LGA & ward levels for polio & non polio SIAs.
- Monitor & report, on a monthly basis, the factual & complete disbursement of honorariums to Volunteer Community Mobilizers, Polio Survivors Group & Volunteer Ward Supervisors, reporting immediately any misappropriation of funds to our clients Program Manager (Polio) & State Facilitator.
- Actively participate in all state level precampaign trainings as appropriate.
- Support all SBC activities in respective LGA / wards / settlements to promote child survival & protection.
- Support to different sectors to mark & celebrate global & national days e.g. global hand washing day, day of the African child etc.
- Maintain updated list of contact details of all VWS & VCM & ensure accurate information is submitted to our client for disbursement of monthly stipends.
- Respond appropriately to health emergencies & disease outbreaks through the risk communication & community engagement committees at LGA level.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- A detailed work plan at the beginning of the contract & monthly work plans thereafter.
- Sharing & uploading of data to ODK & other data tool at agreed timelines.
- Monthly report of activities, outcomes, mission reports & support to other reporting as requested.
- One end of contract report including detailed handover notes delivered to SBC & State Facilitator.
- Nigeria community engagement plan implemented at all levels by all stakeholders.
- Facilitation of implementation of state & LGA social mobilization & High Risk Operational Plans (HROP).
- Volunteer Ward Supervisors, PSGs (where applicable) & Volunteer Community Mobilizers are supervised, mentored & capacity strengthened through solid teamwork & leadership.
- Vaccination barriers identified, analysed & overcome by social mobilization groups & key influencers, number of missed children & non compliances are reduced.
- Actively participate in & contribute to, the development & implementation of LGA communication packages on health, polio, routine immunization, WASH, education & nutrition & child protection.
- Polio & RI & non polio SIAs Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) reports are available at state, field office & Abuja levels.
- Contribution to other reports made & shared as requested.
The Primary Outcomes will be:
- Quality implementation of all polio & non polio IPDs / supplemental immunization activities leading to reduction (to almost 0) in the level of missed children (non compliant & / or absent) & 0 dose children.
- Increased commitment from LGA officials, traditional leaders & religious leaders through frequent LGA Facilitator feedback & engagement on all SBC activities for our clients programs.
- Social mobilization working group & committees at LGAs hold regular meetings & use social mobilization data for planning, monitoring & implementation of SBC interventions in polio, routine immunization, health, nutrition, education, WASH & child protection.
- Improved use of social & Expanded Program on Immunisation (EPI) data in communication strategy development & planning by the LGA team including social mobilization working group members through technical inputs.
- This role reports to the line manager.
- University Degree in Social Sciences, Communication, Public Health, Community Nutrition, Community Development or a related technical field.
- Fluency in English & knowledge in a local language is an asset.
- At least 3 years progressively responsible professional work experience with national & international humanitarian organisations in program planning, management, monitoring & evaluation of programs.
- At least 3 years of similar experience in social mobilization, advocacy & communication in health related programs, training / capacity building, team leading & team building.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
Application Closing Date
22nd September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
- Disclaimer: At no stage of the recruitment process will CTG ask candidates for a fee. This includes during the application stage, interview, assessment and training.