Position: Liaison Officer – Latin America and Caribbean
The OEC: The Organization of Educational Cooperation (OEC) is an international intergovernmental Organisation, founded in January 2020 by countries from across the Global South, to “contribute to the equitable, just, and prosperous social transformation of societies by promoting balanced and inclusive education, in order to attain the fundamental rights to liberty, justice, dignity, sustainability, social cohesion, and material and immaterial security for the peoples of the world”.
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the authority of the Secretary-General and guided by the Under-Secretary-General for External Relations and International Cooperation (ERIC), the Liaison Officer for Latin America and Caribbean regions is a critical role within the ERIC Department of the Organisation of Educational Cooperation (OEC). The Liaison Officer works closely with the Chief of Bilateral Cooperation and Liaison to establish and strengthen strategic bilateral relationships with OEC member states and other key stakeholders in Latin America and Caribbean regions.
The Liaison Officer will also support the Chief of Section in coordinating and streamlining OEC’s engagement with key bilateral partners in Latin America and Caribbean regions, as well as fostering new relations and implementing engagement strategies with potential partners. The Liaison Officer will contribute to advancing OEC’s vision and mission in the field of educational cooperation and innovation in Latin America and Caribbean regions.
This position offers a unique opportunity to join a new international Organisation, contribute to its institutional development, and shape its future direction.
The main functions of the Liaison Officer – Latin America and Caribbean are but not limited to the following responsibilities below.
- Act as the focal point for all bilateral relations with actors from Latin America and Caribbean regions.
- Contribute to the analysis and development of policies and strategies for relations with key bilateral partners relevant to OEC’s mandate in Latin America and Caribbean regions.
- Provide the necessary support and information on relevant topics (educational, social and political) from the region to the Secretary-General and USG-ERIC.
- Support in the Organisation and management of bilateral meetings chaired by the Secretary-General and/or the Under-Secretary-General ERIC.
- Assist the Chief of Section in the preparation of briefings for OEC senior leadership as required on the OEC’s engagement and collaboration with key member states.
- Prepare meetings with officials for the Secretary General and/ or the Under-Secretary-General.
- Prepare for official visits to the regions of expertise, including the logistical arrangements of the Secretary-General’s visits.
- Contribute to the smooth functioning of activities undertaken by the Section.
- Assist and coordinate activities with key member states from Latin America and Caribbean regions.
- Draft speeches, briefing notes and talking points for the Secretary General and/ or the Under-Secretary-General when required.
- Represent the Department at internal and external meetings and conferences as needed.
- Provide and coordinate inputs for policy papers and draft reports, including the preparation of brief reports (financial, political and developmental).
- Perform any other duty as assigned by the Secretary-General and USG-ERIC.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomatic and cross-cultural communication skills with a proven track record.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English, Portuguese and Spanish (OEC official languages).
- Knowledge of other languages spoken in Latin America and Caribbean regions is an asset.
- Strong methodical and strategic thinking skills and ability to develop long-term strategies.
- Ability to operate sensitively and effectively in a multicultural environment and deal with cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Ability to withstand and work effectively in stressful situations.
- Strong monitoring and tracking techniques of developments in the region.
- Understanding of cultural differences and ability to communicate effectively in/with international teams.
Education & Professional Experience:
- At least 7 years of working experience in diplomacy or international relations
- At least 4 years of work experience in a management role within an international and/or regional organization.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree (or higher) in International Relations or related fields
- English – Fluent
- Spanish – Fluent
- Portuguese – Added advantage
- Under- Secretary General of Sections.
- All employees of OEC.
- Diplomatic Missions
- Ministries of Foreign Affairs
- Other relevant agencies.
How to apply
Qualified & Interested candidate can apply for this position by sending an email your resume and cover letter to hre(at)oec-oce.org with the subject line “Job Title”.
This is a full-time position based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia that welcomes applicants from any country.
- We especially encourage applications from South America and Asia Pacific regions.
- We also strongly support female candidates and value diversity and inclusion.
- We will review applications as they are received until we fill the position.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Research Officer – South Sudan at Forcier Consulting
- Chief of Party, Ghana Youth Activity at Global Communities
- RESPONSABLE PROGRAMME SAME (H/F) – MOPTI at Solidarités International
- Chargé.e d’évaluations senior (Unité Santé Publique) pour RDC at IMPACT Initiatives
- Regional Budget Coordinator, Central Africa at International Rescue Committee