Position Title: Logistics and Warehouse Officer (Roving)
Duty Station: Juba, South Sudan
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 01 December 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Resources Management and the direct supervision of the Head, Supply Chain unit, and in close coordination with the Pipeline Coordinator (Shelter/Non-food items & WASH) in Juba, the Logistics and Warehouse Officer (Roving) will be responsible and accountable for managing of IOM South Sudan Country Office’s warehousing operations and effective administration of IOM Asset Management guidelines.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Manage the warehousing activities of South Sudan Country Office (CO) and provide first-line support, guidance and training in the country with respect to IOM’s policies, financial rules and regulations, and procedures relating to warehousing matters.
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of appropriate warehouse processes, procedures and solutions, ensuring a solid internal control system in the field and Sub-Offices within South Sudan.
- Supervise and coordinate all warehouse tasks and activities; including budgeting, scheduling provision of materials and equipment needed by the Sub-Offices. Prepare regular monthly progress reports, statistical information and briefing materials on warehousing matters, as required.
- Translates IOM policies and guidance into actionable plans, including: developing required new and/or improved business processes and supporting standard operating procedure for warehouse operations and administration and in support of the implementation of the new Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, as required.
- Advise and monitor on warehouse space, storage layout, warehouse inventory address systems and requirements for handling equipment. Ensure that a system is in place to optimize the warehouse stock layout, stock cards updates, and inventory tracking system to minimize cost.
- Plan and conduct periodic warehouse physical inspections to ensure accuracy of inventory counts, identify impairments and take corrective actions in the case of discrepancies and/or stock deterioration. Contribute and provide technical inputs to the establishment of a system to dispose impaired supplies.
- Supervise the work of Quality Control Assistant during the quality inspections to control the specifications of procured goods using specialized equipment. Ensure proper documentation is adhered to as per IOM’s quality inspection procedures.
- Monitor the implementation of periodic physical inventory counts to ensure the counts conform to the values in the inventory tracking system, and to verify the conditions of supplies in stock.
- Supervise and monitor the work of Warehouse Unit’s staff to ensure accurate, up-to-date warehouse records, documents, and files, which includes copies of Purchase Request Forms (PRFs), Purchase Orders (POs), Core pipeline requests, waybills, Goods Received Notes, packing lists, etc. are kept accordingly. Warehouse records should accurately reflect actual inventory, receipts, goods returned, withdrawals and impaired goods and losses.
- Follow up with Sub-Offices to ensure timely submission of required reports and documentation to relevant units regarding the warehouse activities.
- Provide technical support and training to the Warehouse Unit’s staff including on warehouse procedures, inventory management and update, safety and security. Establish and maintain a file containing training records for the Unit’s staff. Conduct monthly warehouse meetings to review planning/issues and to conduct ad-hoc training.
- In close coordination with the Procurement and Logistics Officers, plan and implement transportation of cargo as requested by relevant units. Recommend the most efficient and safe mode to transport cargo, either by road, air and/or barge.
- In close coordination with the Procurement and Logistics Officers and the ResourceManagement Officer (RMO), ensure that the reporting and auditing requirements of all warehouses in Sub-Offices are observed and followed.
- In coordination with Security Officer of South Sudan CO, ensure the safety and wellness measures in warehouse management are implemented and followed, including the implementation of Minimum Operating Security Standards/ Security Risk Management (MOSS/SRM) requirements.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Logistics and Supply Chain Management, Business Management, Engineering, Architecture, Urban Planning, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Certification in Procurement, Logistics or Supply Chain management is an advantage.
- Proven experience in large scale warehouse and logistics management both in emergency and development context;
- Experience in shelter and non-food items-related activities, preferably in construction of large quantity shelters in natural disaster response and other displacement situations;
- Experience in risk reduction and management; and,
- Experience in coordination with governmental authorities and with other national and international institutions.
- Broad sector knowledge and/ or field experience in the areas of shelter and disaster response;
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English;
- Extensive knowledge of IOM/UN internal procurement and financial rules, as well as IOM’s system and processes as they apply to procurement and logistics;
- Good level of computer literacy, including database applications; and,
- Good knowledge of SAP is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French, Spanish and/or a local language is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 01 December 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 320 Logistics and Warehouse Officer (Roving) (P2) Juba, South Sudan
Posting: Posting NC57845231 (57845231) Released
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Project Officer (Immigration and Border Management Unit (IBM)) at International Organization for Migration
- Junior Evaluator/Young Emerging Evaluator (2 positions) at Forcier Consulting
- Psychosocial Support Worker at CTG
- Nurse at CTG
- Safety and Security Officer at Save the Children Nigeria