Duration: 1 year
Start Date: ASAP
Closing date for applications: 19/06/2023
The MENTOR Initiative is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisation dedicated to the control of malaria and other vector borne diseases in emergency settings, operating across countries in west, central, and eastern Africa, the Middle East and South America. The organisation directly delivers large scale disease control interventions to the most vulnerable communities caught up in emergencies, and in parallel, also works to build the technical and operational capacity of local and international partners on the ground, to incorporate medium- and long-term disease control systems into their operations and country strategy.
The MENTOR Initiative is looking for a highly motivated, dynamic and skilled person as its Logistics Coordinator for its programs.
The Logistics Coordinator is a member of the Country Management Team (CMT) and as such actively assisting the MENTOR Initiative in achieving programme objectives in a timely manner and strategically develop its support in response to identified needs on the ground. S/he works closely with the Country Director (CD), the finance coordinator and the technical coordinator in providing required logistics operational support as per logical frameworks and/or in accordance with the programme grant/award specifications. The Logistics Coordinator manages a team comprising of both expatriate and national logistical staff.
The main responsibilities of this post include the following:
The logistics coordinator as a Security focal point is accountable to the Country Director for maintaining up to date knowledge of the local security situation and for advising the Country Director on operational security matters in this context. The logistics coordinator may also be delegated to represent the Country Director at security cluster meetings and to share/obtain relevant security information. Delegated tasks from the Country Director:
- Carry out a full security assessment of the areas where MENTOR is operational.
- Ensure regular updates of security guidelines/plans. This includes overseeing that all MENTOR bases in country have adequate security plans in place.
- Ensure that route assessments are written and/or reviewed within 72 hours prior the movement.
- Organise trainings of all MENTOR personnel and share security updates to all field bases.
- Provide security updates to CD and MENTOR HQ (PM and Head of Security) on a regular basis.
- In close collaboration with the Country Director, coordinate and analyse security information received from the field, from team members and from security agencies and partners in country such as INSO, UNDSS and the Security Focal Points of MENTOR’s humanitarian partners.
- Ensure the implementation of security related logistical support for the programmes such as hibernation kits, fence at the bases, vehicles, security training of drivers and guards, communication materials, etc..)
- Ensures solid and extensive security briefing of new consultant team members upon arrival in the MENTOR programme in country.
- Ensure MENTOR personnel compliance with the use of security-related technologies.
- Ensure the strict respect of general security rules by all MENTOR team members in country.
- Report any security incidents and issue of alerts to the Country Director and/or PM and HQ Head of Security.
- Directly responsible for organising the increase of the MENTOR fleet. This includes purchase of second hand, suitable vehicles for the mission as well as rental when appropriate.
- Coordinate and ensure the maintenance and repair of all vehicles. This includes long term solutions for quality maintenance by skilled people.
- Ensure the proper usage of vehicle log books, fuel consumption, daily / weekly routine checks etc.
- Keep current documentation, maintenance and insurance of all vehicles used by the MENTOR Initiative in the Programme.
- In close collaboration with the HQ team, directly responsible for coordinating and follow up on all international procurement. This includes the preparation of all documentation required as per the MENTOR standard procurement procedure.
- Directly responsible for all local procurement of programme entrants and operational support items. This includes supervising that MENTOR standard procedures are applied and respected at all levels for national procurement.
- Directly responsible, with the local logistical team, for the consignment and Customs clearance of goods.
- Ensure that MENTOR standard procedures are in place for stock management at all levels (stock cards, waybills, stock requests, inventories).
- In close collaboration with the Medical team, ensure correct management of MENTOR Initiative pharmaceutical stock.
- Coordinate and ensure the maintenance and repair of all generators, communication equipment and IT equipment.
- Responsible for the regular maintenance of a complete, transparent and detailed list of assets
- Ensure all The MENTOR Initiative Programme assets are recorded and monitored / maintained
- Coordinate the logistical filing system to include all equipment manuals, maintenance schedules and logs documentation e.g. way bills.
Office / accommodation maintenance
- In collaboration with the CD, oversee the identification and set-up of new bases as required. This includes coordination of potential renovation work, electrical fittings, sanitation etc.
- Procurement and maintenance of essential items for mission bases (generator, internet, water supply, computers, communications equipment etc).
- In close collaboration with CD, ensure security precautions are adequate for all mission bases as per context requirements.
- If required, source secure warehousing facilities.
- Direct management of the MENTOR logistics team in the country
- If required, organise for recruitment of logistical staff as required and following MENTOR standard recruitment procedures
- Participation in / organisation of regular team meetings as required.
- Ensure that the MENTOR code of conduct and internal rules and regulations are adhered to and respected.
- Programme Support:
- Support the logistical aspects of the programmes.
- Ensure back up logistics for the programmes as required.
- As required, provide logistically related information for proposals and budget designs for new grant submissions.
- Provide logistical input to the regular internal sit-reps.
- Includes the possibility of transfer to another similar post in another MENTOR Initiative country programme within the period of this contract agreement.
– At least 2 years of experience as logistician in emergency settings, including direct experience of security management
– Familiar with NGO working environments and standard procedures
– Familiar with donors’ procedures
– Solid prior experience working in complicated security contexts will be an advantage
– Language: Portuguese and English is compulsory
– Organized and good coordination / project management skills
– Excellent communication skills
How to apply
The Mentor Initiative applies a zero-tolerance approach to sexual exploitation, abuse, mistreatment or harassment, and other types of unethical behaviour including fraud. The Mentor Initiative will contact previous employers of applicants to determine if they have any history of violating international standards and codes of conduct relating to such matters.
To apply, please send (in English) your CV, letter of motivation and details of three referees (including your most recent employer): firstname.lastname@example.org
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Mauritanie – Consultant pour évaluation finale de programme at COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale
- Responsable de Projet RRM – Bukavu at ACTED
- Regional Safeguarding Advisor- Central Africa at International Rescue Committee
- Chargé.e de Logistique Zone – Bukavu at ACTED
- Senior Program Officer I – TB at Breakthrough ACTION Nigeria