MSF is an international, independent medical humanitarian organisation. We provide medical assistance to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from healthcare. We are a non-profit, self-governed, member-based organisation. MSF was founded in 1971 in Paris by a group of journalists and doctors. Today, we are a worldwide movement of more than 63,000 people.
MSF coordinates operations through collaborations between global offices. The ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (OCA) is a partnership that is composed of the partners MSF-Canada, MSF-Germany, MSF-SARA, MSF-Sweden, MSF-Holland and MSF-United Kingdom. MSF-OCA has a team of more than 11,000 staff working in 115 emergency projects in about 31 countries.
The office of MSF-Holland located in Amsterdam hosts more than 400 employees, offering direct support to MSF-OCA operations. Around 50 staff focus on recruitment, communication and fundraising and 350 staff are focused on supporting MSF-OCA operations.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such, MSF is by choice (Chantilly) an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and commitment and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
At Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) / Artsen zonder Grenzen, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. We encourage applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, disability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
With immediate effect, the ESD is looking for:
Member of the Emergency Team
Logistics/Deputy Logistics Coordinator-Supply
(90% field deployment – 10% HQ/work from home)
The Emergency Support Department (ESD) is part of the Operations department and plays a fundamental role in responding to humanitarian emergencies. The ESD conducts exploratory and assessment missions; initiates and manages large-scale emergency interventions; supports emergency interventions managed by regular desks; provides support to the organization and existing missions in promoting and guarding emergency response capacity; and supports the management of operations in in highly insecure environments. The ESD consists of a headquarter-based Emergency Desk (5 permanent staff) and an Emergency Team for deployment in the field (+/- 20 positions).
Place in the organisation
Overall: reports to the Head of Emergency Support Department in Amsterdam.
During field assignments the reporting line may be under the Head of Mission of the country management team (CMT), the Emergency Coordinator (EmCo) or directly to the Emergency Manager in Amsterdam, depending on the set up where deployed.
There is a functional line to the HQ based logistics advisor or the logistics coordinator for supply purpose.
Objectives and characteristics of the role
This role aims to provide supply logistics emergency response capacity for the field. You will need to ensure the correct planning, designing and implementation of a responsive and efficient supply chain. You will monitor the logistics supply activities and programs in MSF emergency projects and coordinate the human and material-related resources needed to deliver humanitarian and medical impact. You will be well versed with MSF standards in order to ensure the quality and consistency of the supply logistics set-up.
This role could involve starting up new interventions but often consists of providing support within existing missions/projects, either to support in key positions or to respond to emergencies within those missions.
According to your profile and the operational needs, you will find yourself functioning as a logistics coordinator-supply or deputy to logistics coordinator-supply in countries dealing with humanitarian emergencies.
Your main responsibility resides in the preparation and implementation of logistical-supply activities to support emergency missions/new projects.
Flexibility and adaptability are key in this role. We are looking for a versatile and seasoned supply coordinator profiles who can do what is necessary and get things done. You may carry out exploratory missions, you may be asked to function in other supportive roles in logistics (according to your experience) at project or coordination level for start-up projects or gap-fill in challenging projects.
You therefore need to be able to:
- Carry out assessments and exploratory missions focusing on logistics-supply in new country or project of emergency.
- Prepare, plan, implement, monitor and report on logistics-supply activities
- Setup and implement proper medical supply chain management
- Contribute to the development of an intervention strategy in emergency project or country responses
- Function as manager or team leader in emergency projects or existing projects (interim) or as coordinator at capital level (being part of country management team)
- Support in opening/closing projects/missions when necessary
- Where relevant represent MSF as part of coordination platforms and bodies (clusters)
- Contribute to the development and implementation of guidelines, technical innovations, training programmes and evaluations linked to emergency interventions
Emergency Team members spend about 90% of their work days (excluding holidays) in field locations and the remaining working time at HQ for briefing/debriefing/trainings/desk work or other tasks.
- At least 18 months field experience with MSF (any section) and have been in Logistics/Deputy Logistics Coordinator-Supply roles (any section)
- Field experience in at least 2 different kinds of projects/intervention, of which at least 1 emergency project or 1 in a medium/high security setting
- Experience of logistics in emergencies, with a strong focus in supply management
- Experience in medical supply management (Stock management, UniField and order processes), especially in emergencies
- A proven experience and expertise in:
- Medical Supply Management
- Cold chain Management
- Warehouse management
- Procurement management
- Knowledgeable on Export – import process.
- Security management
- Experience of management of large teams: coordinating and supervising but also coaching and providing support
- Expertise of logistical support in humanitarian programs and ability to adjust logistical-supply setup to changes in context/operations
- Ability to organise, design management structures and prioritise work
- Have a “can do mentality” with the capacity to motivate a team into action and communicate clearly your vision and decisions
- Maintain a positive outlook and attitude
- A flexible and solution-oriented mentality and the ability to be decisive in chaotic circumstances
- Knowledge of standard software and tools of MSF-OCA (Office; Unifield and Total Stock Reports – TSR/MSR)
- Willingness to travel to any required area, frequently at short notice
- Fluency in English
- French speaking and/or Arabic speaking are strong assets
- Experience in logistics-supply management/coordination of a variety of MSF response, in one of the more general emergency settings: mass vaccination, measles, cholera, Ebola, malnutrition, displacement and/or camp settings, natural disasters or conflict & violence contexts.
- Experience of security management and security implementation
- Experience with NFI/Food/Targeted distributions,
- Experience in community WatSan programs
- Experience in closing or opening an MSF project or mission
- Extensive knowledge and experience using OCA standard data tools, incl. Unifield
A challenging position within a stimulating, professional working environment in a major international organization – plus great colleagues to work alongside!
A fulltime appointment for 1 year with a potential to renew (based on performance);
Salary will be determined based on the professional profile and the level of experience/capacity of the successful candidate, and according to MSF standards (IRFFG level)
Candidate’s domicile determines which MSF section will act as employer;
45 holidays per year;
Completion bonus of 1.5 month of extra salary after completion of every 12 months commitment;
Prioritization for trainings in MSF (external trainings considered);
How to apply
If you recognize yourself in the profile, please apply directly via our website and upload a letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae (in English) as one combined document.
The application deadline is 13 February at 23:59 CET
Selection will be by means of an interview. A test /assignment may be part of the selection process.
Please note that only candidates that fully meet the requirements of the position will be taken into consideration.
For more information about the recruitment procedure, please contact Ali Hamdan (Recruiter) at email@example.com