The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistics Officer (International Consultancy), CSLT II
Requisition ID: 747311
Employment Type: Short Term
- This job is in Kano Nigeria and the job holder reports to Head of Supply Chain Country Office or the designate.
- The Job holders are likely to focus on one specific area of logistics (i.e. commodity and warehouse management, supply chain, fleet, port operation management, logistics cluster and information management) and manage team within logistic hub to ensure supply chain strategies are implemented.
- To contribute to daily planning and coordination of WFP logistics operations including warehousing management and monitoring of services provided by contracted external organizations to ensure cost-effective operations and that set objectives are achieved in full
Key Accountabilities (Not All-Inclusive)
- Establish reports based on logistics movements and distribute them according to requirements and prepare/maintain transport information for reporting purposes.
- Define logistics / warehouse management strategy within the WFP policies and procedures and ensure effective integration of supply chain operations at the port and warehouses. Strong cold chain experience is desirable.
- Advise on logistics management and structures and staffing levels to ensure that they are always adequate to meet the requirements of the logistics strategy.
- Manage own warehouse and third parties, checking procedures are strictly followed, coordinate with superintendent / Labour and Clearance Agents for imports / exports for foods and non-foods items / commodities and make sure quality controls are done prior to dispatches, loadings and unloading.
- Follow and guide fumigation companies about implementation of their scope of work and evaluation of their performance.
- Manage monthly physical stocks counting, operations including all logistics assets to ensure timely and cost-effective delivery of WFP cargoes.
- Identify, mobilise resources, implement and report on special logistics operations
- Manage logistics operations including all logistics assets to ensure timely and cost-effective delivery of WFP cargoes.
- Others as required.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Utilizes understanding of WFP’s Strategic Objectives to communicate linkages to team objectives and work.
- Be a force for positive change: Proactively identifies and develops new methods or improvements for self and immediate team to address work challenges within own work area.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Identifies opportunities to further align individual contributions with WFP’s mission of making an impact on local communities.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Helps colleagues to see the link between their individual tasks and the contributions of their unit’s goals to the broader context of WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Is able to identify, support and encourage focused on-the-job learning opportunities to address gaps between current skillsets and needed future skillsets for WFP.
- Create an inclusive culture: Recognizes the contributions of teammates, and encourages contributions from culturally different team mates to recognise the value of diversity above and beyond just including it in programming for beneficiaries.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Provides and solicits ongoing constructive feedback on strengths and development opportunities to help develop individual skills, whilst also helping others identify areas for improvement.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Sets clear targets for self and others to focus team efforts in ambiguous situations (e.g., unprecedented issues and/or scenarios)
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Thinks beyond team’s conventional approaches to formulate creative methods for delivering food aid and assistance to beneficiaries.
- Focus on getting results: Maintains focus on achieving individual results in the face of obstacles such as volatile or fragile environments and/or organizational roadblocks.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes personal accountability for upholding and delivering upon team’s commitments and provides assurance to stakeholders.
- Be Decisive: Demonstrates ability to adjust to team’s plans and priorities to optimize outcomes in light of evolving directives, while also responding quickly in high-pressure environments, such as in emergency settings.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Demonstrates an understanding of when and how to tactfully engage other units in conversations on impact, timing, or planning
- Build strong external partnerships: Networks regularly with key external partners using formal and informal opportunities to understand each partner’s unique value proposition, and to build and strengthen relationships
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Demonstrates ability to adapt engagement approach in the context of evolving partner circumstances and expectations
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Demonstrates ability to articulate to internal and external audiences the value that individual contributions and immediate teams bring to partnerships.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Advanced University Degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business Management or other related field, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Language: International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role:
- Experience evaluating and selecting service providers and third parties.
- Experience identifying transportation operations risks and maintaining documentation on emergency logistics preparedness.
- Experience determining with Supply Chain actors best transport modality/timing and liaising with agents and suppliers to meet deadlines.
- Experience preparing and managing transport and project budgets.
- Experience managing integrated air, sea, and land transport operations.
- Experience supervising professional staff.
- Experience in working in insecure and difficult environments.
- Experience working with interagency partners to assess and coordinate emergency/non-emergency response.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- Ensure the integrity of transport information and communication from Country Office and warehouse teams including commodity tracking in WFP standard systems
- Coordinate logistics and warehouse management support services in assignment. Collect information and conduct market surveys for logistics services (transport, warehousing, Fumigation, etc to assist CO in awarding competitive and cost-efficient service providers)
- Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained
- Ensure effective Landside, Transport, Storage and Handling (LTSH) management including project budgetary review and regular LTSH reviews
- Implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance to manage WFP’s warehouse in accordance with WFP guidelines and RFQs
- In the event of food safety incidents, support investigation exercises to enable lessons learned to be documented and shared, to reduce recurrence of the incident.
- Prepare evidenced based recommendations for head of the oﬃce on tools to enable rapid response to the situations with food safety concerns
- Prepare evidenced based recommendations for senior staff on control measures to combat and reduce food commodity losses and food quality and safety issues.
- Provide trainings to WFP staff and external stakeholders on the key areas, such as quality control, food processing, loss prevention and mitigation, to build local capacity.
Application Closing Date
25th April, 2023 at 11:59 pm WAT
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- This is an international consultancy role
- Applications are to be submitted and received online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties.
- Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
- WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
- WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.