Position: MEAL Monitor
Location: Baidoa and Kismayo, Somalia
Contract Duration: 31st December 2023
Direct Hierarchy: MEAL Assistant
Number of positions: Two (2)
Starting date: May 2023
Background on ACTED
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters, or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced, and committed team player to fill the Two (2) MEAL monitor positions one (1) in Baidoa and one (1) in Kismayo, Somalia.
The Monitor is responsible for assisting the MEAL Officer/Assistant to implement all MEAL field activities and tasks including assessments, beneficiary verification, data entry, reporting, collection of and ensuring adherence to lessons learned and best practices, and any other tasks as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assessments (Appraisals, Monitoring Missions, and Evaluations)
Field Data Collection
- Coordinate with the MEAL Officer/Assistant on how to carry out the assessments (including, but not limited to: Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices (KAP) surveys, focus group discussions, key informant interviews, baseline and endline surveys, as well as other types of assessments and data collection that is required);
- Check that material necessary to carry out the assessment is sufficient and appropriate.
- Ask questions in a clear and kind manner, and ask all the questions exactly as worded:
- Probe to clarify unclear answers.
- Write down the observations and answers in an ordinate and clear way, recording responses accurately.
- Record and forward all complaints and suggestions received while in the field to the appropriate Accountability Officer or MEAL Officer.
- Report frequently to the MEAL Officer/Assistant about the progress of assessment activities and on the MEAL Unit Monitor’s observations during the mission.
- Recognize and give account of problems in obtaining data and provide useful feedback from field research activities.
- In the absence of a dedicated Data Entry Officer, enter all field data into appropriate databases on an accurate and timely basis.
- Cross-check the accuracy of data entry.
- Support the maintenance of an efficient and accurate filing system for all electronic and hard-copy documents;
- Report monitoring findings at Weekly Meetings, as required by MEAL Officer.
- Collect high-resolution and good quality photos of ACTED project activities in the field, featuring donor, partner and ACTED logos, and delivery photos to the MEAL Officer (in line with ACTED’s Child Protection Policy and Photo Guidelines).
Support the Development of AME Tools and Methodologies
- Support the MEAL Officer/Assistant in designing appropriate information collection tools and methodologies, including assessment Terms of Reference, and questionnaires.
- Translate tools and methodologies into local language(s) as required.
Support to Organizational Learning
Collection of Lessons Learned and Best Practices
- Collect lessons learned and best practices from beneficiaries, community leaders, partners, and other stakeholders during assessment/monitoring missions.
Monitoring Adherence to Program Strategies and Guidelines
- Cross-check that project implementation adheres to the technical guidelines for the program, as required by the MEAL Officer/Assistant.
- Monitor the implementation of lessons learned and best practices.
- Cross-check the accuracy and relevance of beneficiary selection according to contractual criteria.
- Participate in Weekly Area Meetings, and any other meetings or conferences as required by the MEAL Officer/Assistant.
- Perform any other related activities as assigned by immediate supervisor.
How to apply
- Bachelor’s Degree in statistics, computer science or closely related to field.
- Proficient understanding of Mobile data collection.
- Basic Statistical analysis and IT skills, including use of Excel for data analysis.
- At least 1 years of work experience in a similar field; experience with humanitarian organizations is an asset.
- Good English communications skills (both oral and written).
- Strong team player of high integrity, pleasant personality, ability to work under least supervision and meet strict deadlines.
- High level of integrity, transparency, and honesty.
- Knowledge of the local context and Somali language will be an advantage.
Qualified national persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 24th March, 2023 with the subject line “MEAL MONITOR (indicate location eg Baidoa or Kismayo” Kindly indicate only one LOCATION and Apply for ONLY ONE POSITION
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants, and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- DEPUTY PROJECT MANAGER (WASH) – BAIDOA; SOMALIA at ACTED
- Project Manager-Multisectoral X 2 positions Location Baidoa and Kismayo; Somalia at ACTED
- Employee Relations Partner at International Rescue Committee
- Monitoring, evaluation, and learning director at Chemonics
- Sub-Purpose 1: Institutional Strengthening Director at Chemonics