Habitat for Humanity Kenya (HFH Kenya) is a national non-profit organization that begun its operations in 1982 as an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International. The affiliation is guided by a National Affiliation Agreement (NAA) and a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). HFH Kenya’s vision is: “A nation where every family has a decent place to live.” Mission: “Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity Kenya brings people together to build homes, communities and hope”. Our overarching goal is: “Enabling low income families access decent and affordable shelter”.
Reporting to the Senior Program Manager, MEAL Officer will adapt and implement MEAL guidelines and tools in HFHK and provides support with organizational MEAL and related standards. The purpose of the position is to support the improvement of program and project efficiency and effectiveness, decision making and learning during the project life cycle through Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning. In carrying out his/her work, the MEAL Officer interacts with other technical Officers in HFHK, Africa Hub, HFHI global, partner organizations and communities across Kenya that HFHK serves.
Primary Roles and responsibilities:
Planning and coordination
- Adapt and continue to develop MEAL methodology, approaches and tools, and provide support guidance and ensure their proper use.
- In collaboration with program/project teams supports the development HFHK MEAL infrastructure and project capacity to ensure that MEAL standards and good practices are properly integrated in all phases of the project life cycle.
- Provides support to HFHK and projects to ensure that they meet the MEAL standards and good MEAL practices.
Technical support for MEAL policy, standards, procedures and tools implementation
- Participate in program/project design and proposal writing in the areas of theory of change, logframe design, MEAL plan and budget development.
- Advise and support program/project teams on quality data gathering and analysis to facilitate informed program and project design.
- Provide research, planning and evaluation guidance and tools for the implementation of new / pilot housing programs and assist in research and analysis for the development of new programs as requested.
- Support program/project teams to set up accountability mechanisms to beneficiaries and community members. Review the responsive use of accountability mechanisms, data, and responses.
- Support and follow up on research, evaluations and learning events to document lessons learned and best practices from interventions. Prepare or review terms of reference for external evaluators and coordinate collaboration with them.
Knowledge management, reporting and learning
- Support HFHK in developing metrics and data reporting tools, review project data collection and reporting (Global Metrics Tool and related) for data quality and make recommendations for improvement.
- Oversee the implementation of data management tools for process and quality improvement.
- Conduct analysis of project and program results to support evidence-based program decision making and program quality improvement, using appropriate software as necessary.
- Ensure that analysis of evaluation findings and recommendations feedback into improved program quality, evidenced in subsequent program designs.
- Coordinate HFHK capacity assessments and review of MEAL systems to identify process, systems and capacity gaps
- Support HFHK in the development of MEAL process, system and capacity building plan.
- In coordination with the Snr Program manager, support capacity development of HFHK staff in the area of MEAL.
- Develop materials and facilitate learning events that build capacity through MEAL and project management.
- Participate in HFHK relevant communities of practice and collaborate with counterparts within HFHK network as required.
- Establish an external network of organizations and individual experts for joint projects and contractual work.
Perform other duties as required by the supervisor for achieving program effectiveness.
Key Performance Measures/Indicators
- Quality MEAL systems in HFHK
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, especially in the social sciences, development studies social work, or any other relevant discipline.
- Specialization and/or professional certification in monitoring and evaluation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Negotiation and influence skills.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, research and report writing skills as well as excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Independent, self-starter and creative
- Ability to work under minimum or no supervision
- Must be a team player and ready to work in and contribute to team building environment
- Team builder, appreciates cultural diversity and inclusion, safeguarding/ protection issues etc
- Computer literate with good presentation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge and experience in monitoring and evaluation, accountability, learning, research and evaluation methodologies, standards, and practices (preferably in relation to human / social development or housing and human settlement).
- Understanding of contemporary trends and innovations in MEAL.
- Demonstrated experience with qualitative and quantitative data analysis and statistics.
- Familiarity with statistical packages, qualitative data analysis software and IT applications to support MEAL and knowledge management
- Project management experience required
- Ability to work long and odd hours, including weekends
- Honesty & High levels of integrity
How to apply
To apply, download the full job description available at https://hfhkenya.org/careers/ and email the application to email@example.com with your name and position applied for in the subject line.
The closing date for receiving applications is no later than close of business on Friday 10th December 2021.
Please do not send certificates at this stage.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
HFH Kenya is an equal opportunities employer and will never ask for funds as part of the recruitment process.
Report fraud at www.mysafeworkplace.com