Media Relations Officer
London, Johannesburg or Nairobi
Salary is locally determined
Do you want to use your excellent news sense and comms skills to strengthen our fight for climate and gender justice?
ActionAid International is the global secretariat of a federation of 45 country offices and programmes working for a world free from poverty and injustice. We’re looking for a Media Officer to join our communications and campaigns team as we prepare to launch a new global campaign for climate justice.
As Media Officer, you’ll be joining a high-performing team, responsible for continuing to deliver significant increases in the quantity and quality of ActionAid’s global media coverage.
An experienced PR professional or journalist, you’ll come armed with fresh, creative ideas about how we can engage journalists and become the go-to organisation for media reporting on our strategic priorities. Your expertise will support with the effective delivery of international media moments, linked to multi-country campaigns and core comms priorities, including climate justice and women’s rights.
You’ll use your exceptional communication skills to build relationships and work closely with ActionAid countries to amplify their visibility and develop stories with both national and international significance.
Who we’re looking for:
- Good experience in a media relations or communications role in an in-house press office/PR agency or as a journalist.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English to produce written work of high quality.
- Proven experience of liaising with journalists of all levels.
Experience devising and producing successful proactive media campaigns, or equivalent high-profile work as a journalist.
- Excellent news sense and proven experience in identifying and promoting an engaging story.
- Experience using media monitoring services (e.g. Cision, Vuelio) with the degree of proficiency required to run reports and provide others with basic training.
What we offer:
ActionAid is committed to providing a welcoming, supportive workplace where we recognise a job well done. We offer a fair compensation package and a flexible working environment, as well as:
- Fantastic training and development opportunities.
- A workplace that embraces intersectional feminist principles.
- Generous maternity, paternity and adoption pay.
- Over 4 weeks holiday a year.
Energetic, enthusiastic and interested in learning within a diverse and fast-paced work environment and with a strong commitment to ActionAid International’s vision, mission, values and strategy on human rights, climate and social justice? If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.
What we offer:
ActionAid is committed to providing a welcoming, supportive workplace where we recognise a job well done, encourage close collaboration and sharing power, and where safeguarding standards and feminist leadership are exemplified everywhere. At ActionAid, you can look forward to a fair compensation package and a flexible working environment, including
· A workplace that embraces intersectional feminist principles
· Generous maternity, paternity and adoption pay
Due to high volumes of applications received, we can only correspond with short listed applicants. Should you not have received feedback on your application within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
ActionAid International will not consider unsolicited candidates from recruitment agencies. We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.
ActionAid is a global federation working for a world free from poverty and injustice.
ActionAid International welcomes applications from all sections of the community and promotes diversity. Suitably qualified women leaders and people of colour are encouraged to apply.
- Job City Johannesburg, Nairobi