- CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
- CTG recruits, deploys and manages the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilise at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
- Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organisations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
Overview of position:
- Response-Med is seeking to provide health professionals to deliver clinical services in UN facilities located in Somalia.
- Personnel shall deliver primary care & hospital level services, including emergency, surgical, diagnostic, intensive care & general hospital services.
- Personnel shall provide the services at the UN level 1+ health facility located in the UNSOS camp within the AAIA in Mogadishu & in Sector health facilities, as & when required.
- Additionally, personnel may be deployed to reinforce AMISOM level 2 Hospitals during emergency situations that severely stress these facilities.
- The UN level 1+ health facility is a capability that was established in 2012 with the objective of roviding emergency & primary health care for the UN international personnel deployed in Somalia.The facility has since been supporting UNSOS, UNSOM & AMISOM FHQ personnel.
- Additionally, the facility is available to international personnel from other UN entities, diplomatic missions & UNSOS contracted vendors, on a cost recovery basis.
- Services may, on occasion, also be extended to the SNA.
Role objectives: Cinical laboratory services will be provided by qualified Laboratory Technicians & will include, but not be limited to:
- Clinical chemistry.
- Microbiology / virology.
- Blood transfusion medicine.
- Haematology, full blood workup.
- Microscopy, stool exam.
- PCR tests for COVID-19 diagnosis.
Primary responsibilities for the position include:
- Organizes work by matching computer orders with specimen labelling, sorting specimens, checking labelling, logging specimens, arranging reports for delivery, keeping work surfaces clean & orderly.
- Maintains quality results by running standards & controls, verifying equipment function through routine equipment maintenance & advanced trouble shooting, calibrating equipment utilizing approved testing procedures, monitoring quality control measures & protocols.
- Identifies & communicates abnormal patient conditions by alerting supervisory personnel, the pathologist, the patient physician, or nurse, reporting mandated information to the public health department or other designated officials.
- Hematology, provides test results for patient diagnosis & treatment by operating hematology, urinalysis & coagulation equipment, performing manual methods of differentials.
- Microbiology, provides physician with information for treatment of patient infection by performing technical procedures for the identification or susceptibility of bacteria, parasites, fungi & mycobacteria.
- Chemistry, provides test results for patient diagnosis & treatment by operating chemistry equipment; performing hand chemistries.
- Blood bank, UNSOS will supply the UN level 1+ medical facility with O negative or low titre positive whole blood & blood products in line with the Chief Medical Officers policy.
- The contractor will store the blood in a blood refrigerator under conditions that ensure maintenance of the cold chain.
- The blood supplied to the medical facility is for the sole use by UN personnel.In extremely unavoidable circumstances, the contractor may seek written authorisation from UNSOS to donate blood to non eligible personnel.
- Contributes to a safe & secure environment for patients, visitors, physicians & co workers by following established standards & procedures, complying with legal regulations.
- Maintains patient confidence by keeping laboratory information confidential.
- Serves & protects the medical facility community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies & procedures, govt., state & local requirements & technical standards.
- This role reports to the line manager.
- Training of not less than two academic years in medical laboratory technology leading to the award of an associate degree or diploma in medical laboratory practice or an equivalent qualification, with a minimum of three years progressive post qualification experience in medical / clinical laboratory.
- Currently registered & licensed to practice in own country or another UN member state.
- Able to work together as part of a team, maintain a safe, clean work environment.
- Superb documentation skills.
- Great verbal communication skills & able to explain complex medical terms simply.
- Fluency in written & spoken English.
- Ability to analyse & interpret data & write concise reports.
- Good computer skills MS Word, MS Excel & Power Point presentations.
- Must be happy / interested to work in Somalila.
- English proficiency, a minimum of level B 2 is required.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
- CTG is open to reviewing applications of both expats as well as Somali nationals for this role.
- Job City Mogadishu