Background Information about MESPT
Micro-Enterprises Support Programme Trust (MESPT) is a Kenyan development organization established in 2002. MESPT’s overall objective is to promote economic growth, employment creation and poverty alleviation through enterprise development. This is achieved predominantly through support to the development of agricultural value chains whilst embracing and promoting the green growth and climate change agenda. Through its vision of building a more Prosperous Society, MESPT facilitates increased commercialization, decent employment, and green transformation through targeted interventions in the selected value chains. The Trust is a multi-donor entity jointly founded by the Government of Kenya and the European Union who later relinquished their position to the Royal Danish Embassy in Kenya, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark (DANIDA). To learn more about MESPT, please visit www.mespt.org
Rationale for the Assignment:
MESPT has been generating, acquiring, and sharing information/ knowledge with staff and its stakeholders for the last 20 years especially through its programming works. However, MESPT lacks a coherent and structural approach to guide knowledge management for the institution. As a result, this has led to inefficiencies in having knowledge generated/acquired by MESPT, institutional memory and lessons learnt; from being systematically captured, processed, retrieved, and disseminated across the various functional teams and stakeholders. MESPT has its EDMS where institutional knowledge-based resources and assets are collected, organized, and stored however there is need to institutionalize a learning and knowledge management system.
The main aim is to enhance integration, accessibility, and usability of MESPT knowledge-based assets and products beyond the organization. This will be achieved through development of an institutional learning and knowledge management strategy and a learning plan. The strategy will provide MESPT and its partners with a road map on how to strengthen its processes, practices, culture and systems to effectively drive organisational learning, increase awareness on knowledge management for better decision making. The learning plan will guide MESPT teams in mapping out opportunities for consistently identifying, generating, applying, and sharing Program Quality, Impact knowledge and best practices in support of delivering the strategic objectives and the overall goal of MESPT.
In overall the strategic framework will ensure MESPT intellectual and knowledge-based assets and products will systematically be captured, evaluated, retrieved, and shared within and outside the organization; for effective formulation, planning and implementation of decisions with regards to MESPT operations and programming work.
The overall objective the assignment
MESPT is seeking to engage the services of a suitably qualified and experienced Consultancy Firm to develop an institutional learning and knowledge management framework that will enable MESPT to effectively manage its information, data, knowledge products and assets for the benefit of the corporate and its stakeholders.
Specific Objectives of the assignment
To establish existing gaps, needs, opportunities and challenges/ barriers hindering MESPT from having an effective knowledge management framework
To ensure MESPT has an effective learning and knowledge management strategy in place including an operationalization plan.
To ensure MESPT has the necessary templates/ tools for capturing knowledge products and learnings.
To strengthen capacity of MESPT staff on the knowledge management framework for the institution including the strategy, operationalization plan, tools and templates developed.
Scope of work
Specific tasks to be undertaken include: –
Review of MESPT organizational documents and other relevant materials
Conduct interviews to all relevant MESPT staff on their understanding on institutional knowledge management, 2) assess existing gaps, opportunities, barriers / challenges hindering MESPT from having an effective learning and Knowledge management framework 3) recommend appropriate solutions that are affordable, adaptable, and replicable.
Compile a comprehensive needs assessment report
Develop an institutional learning and knowledge management strategy and operationalization plan.
Develop templates/tools for capturing proposed knowledge products and learnings.
Presentation and sensitization of MESPT staff on the knowledge management strategy, operationalization plan, tools and templates developed.
Approach and Methodology
The Consultancy Firm will be expected to adopt a highly consultative and participatory approach in the development of the Knowledge management strategy and learning framework. In consultation with MEAL Manager, the Consultancy Firm will develop a suitable methodology and implementation plan clearly demonstrating how this assignment will be carried out.
The Consultancy Firm will work on the following deliverables:
- Inception Report:
An inception report outlining the approach and work plan to be used in the assignment. This report will be 10 to 15 pages in length and will propose the methods, procedures and proposed timeline of activities and submission of deliverables.
- Comprehensive need assessment report
The report should be a maximum of 40 pages including the annexes entailing the challenges / barriers hindering MESPT from having an effective learning and Knowledge management systems with recommendations on appropriate interventions/ solution include mapping out existing and potential opportunities for MESPT and its partners.
- Institutional Knowledge Management strategy/ operationalization plan/ Tools& Templates
This will be included 1) knowledge management strategy 2) learning plan and 3) tools & templates capturing knowledge products and learnings reflective of feedback from stakeholders at the validation meeting; and draft report reviews/ comments from MESPT.
- Presentation / training materials used for sensitization on MESPT team
This will include the PowerPoint presentation and all the relevant training materials the Consultancy Firm will use during sensitization of MESPT Staff for future referencing and learning.
All information produced pertaining to this assignment existing information (organizational and programme document, reports, impact stories etc.) that the Consultancy Firm may have access to under this consultancy shall remain the property of MESPT. Furthermore, MESPT shall have exclusive rights over their use for a period of not less than 20 years. Except for purposes of this assignment, the information gathered shall not be disclosed to the public nor used in whatever form without written permission of the MESPT
Administration and logistical arrangements
The Consultancy Firm will report to MEAL Manager and will work closely with departmental/ units heads. The assignment will be carried out with logistical support and services of the MESPT.
Qualifications and competencies
The lead consultant should have at least the following qualifications:
- Advanced degree and/or certification in information and/or knowledge Management, Development studies, strategic Communication and Public Relations, International relations/Development, and any other related social sciences. Master’s degree on the same would be an advantage.
- 7+ years professional experience working in KM while embedded within an organization (preferred). (Experience with KM in non-profit settings will be added advantage).
- Demonstrated experience conducting similar organizational assessments, preferably for a non-profit setting.
- Understanding of contemporary trends and innovations in information and knowledge management.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and implementing KM strategy, including researching, creating, implementing, and evaluating KM systems and tools.
- Proven ability to apply effective knowledge management, user experience and human-centered stakeholder engagement skills and processes.
- Experience using content management systems and learning management systems (e.g., Dayforce LMS) for knowledge management.
- Understanding of business analytics, social impact organizations, enterprise practices and grant-making activities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365 environment and apps especially SharePoint.
- Excellent analytical, writing and synthesis skills
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills, and verbal and written communication skills.
The associate consultant(s) should have at least the following qualifications: –
- Advanced degree and/or certification in information and/or knowledge Management, Development studies, strategic Communication and Public Relations, International Development and related to any other social sciences. – At least 5 years professional experience working in KM while embedded within an organization. – Demonstrated experience in knowledge management and organisational learning to help drive improvements in evidence understanding and uptake. – Understanding of contemporary trends and innovations in information and knowledge management. – In-depth knowledge of KM tools, best practices, and trends in the field – Thorough knowledge of technology solutions to enable knowledge capture, translation, and exchange. – Proven ability to apply effective knowledge management, user experience and human-centered stakeholder engagement skills and processes. – Experience using content management systems and learning management systems (e.g. share point, Dayforce LMS) for knowledge management. – Supporting users to find the resources they are looking for either through self-service or instruction. – Knowledge asset template design and maintenance using modern technology and advanced techniques. – Possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures. – Possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the MESPT’s values.
How to apply
Download full tender document on Tender Opportunities – MICRO ENTERPRISES SUPPORT PROGRAMME TRUST (mespt.org) or request for the document on firstname.lastname@example.org
Clarifications should be sent via email to email@example.com
Bid documents should be sent firstname.lastname@example.org