Why Tetra Tech International Development?
As a leading global development consulting firm, our purpose is to contribute to a world where people, communities and the planet thrive.
Tetra Tech International Development works with governments, businesses and NGOs to solve complex development challenges. Our dedicated team helps partners including DFAT, USAID and the Asian Development Bank to deliver effective and sustainable projects in more than 80 countries around the world.
- Midwifery Scholarship Review Specialist
- Up to 24 days across two months
- Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
The Australia Awards Papua New Guinea (AAPNG) Facility is designed to promote knowledge, leadership and enduring ties between Australia and Papua New Guinea (PNG). It aims to build knowledge and skills to address PNG’s economic and development challenges through international scholarships to Australia and scholarships in PNG.
It offers the next generation of leaders in Papua New Guinea opportunities to acquire professional and technical knowledge and skills relevant to the priorities of the Government of PNG. The program ensures opportunities are provided for women, people with disabilities and people from rural and remote locations. The program supports alumni to use their skills, knowledge and networks to drive change and innovation.
AAPNG includes three study options:
- Australia Award Scholarships for Papua New Guineans to undertake long-term study in Australia, primarily at the postgraduate level
- Australia Awards In-PNG Scholarships for Papua New Guineans to undertake long-term study in PNG to meet critical workforce gaps
- Short courses for Papua New Guineans to undertake targeted short-term professional development study in Australia or PNG, often receiving an Australian qualification.
As a further extension of its education activities, the AAPNG Facility supports the PNGAus Partnership Secondary Schools Initiative which connects Australia and Papua New Guinea’s students, teachers and principals to build capability and deepen people-to-people links to underpin the enduring partnership between Australia and PNG.
The AAPNG Facility also manages the PNGAus Partnership Higher Education Support initiative, which involves projects that develop partnerships between Papua New Guinean and Australian higher education institutions to strengthen PNG institutions’ capacity in teaching, learning and research in alignment with the Government of PNG’s higher education reform agenda.
To deliver Australia Awards outcomes, AAPNG has six stream activities: Australia Awards; PNG and Pacific Awards; Short Courses and Capacity Development; Alumni Engagement; Secondary Education; and Higher Education. AAPNG is managed by Tetra Tech International Development, on behalf of the Australian Government.
Reporting to the Facility Director, the Midwifery Scholarship Review Specialist will work closely with the PNG and Pacific Awards Manager and undertake a short review of the midwifery scholarships funded by the Australian Government and private sector sponsors through Australia Awards PNG.
The review aims to better understand the barriers to nurses applying for the scholarship, and to provide recommendations to Australia Awards PNG and the Australian High Commission to address these barriers. The review will look across the whole scholarship cycle (promotion, application, selection, institution admission, on-award support and reintegration). The role involves working largely independently.
The Specialist will be a suitably qualified Papua New Guinean who will possess the following:
- Postgraduate degree(s) in health sciences, international development, or related field
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in maternal and child health in PNG’s context.
- Demonstrated and successful experience in working collaboratively across cultures with diverse range of stakeholders, including Melanesia.
- Excellent understanding of the Papua New Guinea’s tertiary education sector.
- Previous experience with Australian Government-funded projects and knowledge of relevant policies, standards, and protocols.
- Strong administrative skills including time management, and experience in using microsoft office software such as Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Excellent analytical and English language report writing and communication skills.
- Proven experience contributing to PNG health sector program reviews and designs including a demonstrated significant contributions to the development of reports and presentations.
This program is managed by Tetra Tech International Development, on behalf of the Australian Government.
Tetra Tech International Development has a 40-year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors right around the world, including Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, USAID and the UK’s Department for International Development (now known as the Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office). Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth and good governance, positively changing people’s lives.
Tetra Tech International Development has robust policies and guidelines which exemplify our commitment to safeguarding and technical excellence in gender equality. Our team of dedicated GEDSI advisers work closely with our staff and partners to ensure a context-specific and consistent approach is applied to all our programmes to improve the livelihoods of the world’s most marginalised groups.
Tetra Tech International Development is also committed to respectful workplaces and does not tolerate sexual exploitation, abuse or harassment of any kind.
Tetra Tech International Development is an equal opportunity employer of choice and is committed to child protection.
How to apply
This position is locally engaged and reserved for National Citizens of Papua New Guinea.
To view a detailed position description and to apply, please visit Tetra Tech International Development Careers and search for job number 499144. Please note that applications will only be accepted via the online application process on the Tetra Tech International Development Website.
For further enquiries, please contact us at IDEV.HRServices@tetratech.com and quote the job reference number 499144
Applications close: 5.00pm (PNG time) 3 September 2021