Position Title : INT 2022 08 – Migration Research and Publications Division (2 Positions)
Duty Station : Home based
Classification : Intern, Grade Other
Type of Appointment : Internship, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 04 March 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Migration Research and Publications Division is responsible for supporting IOM’s worldwide efforts in developing and conducting policy-oriented migration research, as well as implementing its own research projects in order to inform program delivery and policy development. It promotes deeper and more nuanced understandings of international migration within and outside IOM and is responsible for the preparation of IOM’s flagship publication, the World Migration Report.
The interns will work under the overall guidance and general supervision of the head of the Migration Research and Publications Division, the direct supervision of the Senior Research Officer and will work closely with colleagues in the Division.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The interns will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist with technical guidance on migration research and research project for IOM staff worldwide: desk-based research tasks to support the development of technical guidance, preparation of research guidance notes, keeping track of and assist in internal requests for reviews and endorsements, assistance for organizing internal capacity-building webinars, assistance in curating and managing the Research Partners Panel.
- Assist in communications/dissemination activities related to the World Migration Report and other research outputs, including through social media and other communication platforms.
- Assist for fundraising activities carried out for the World Migration Report and in the development of research project documentation, such as concept notes, project proposals and project reporting.
- Assist with style and content editing of research outputs to ensure their adherence to IOM’s House Style Manual.
- Assist with the preparation and conduct of migration expert events virtually.
- Respond to internal and external research queries.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Training Components and Learning Elements
• The successful candidate will also gain experience in working in an international multicultural environment, within the United Nations system.
• Gain experience in organization, management and international cooperation activities.
• The successful candidate will acquire technical knowledge in communications in the field of migration and development.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced degree (Master’s degree) in a field of study related to migration or other relevant social sciences (e.g. Humanitarian Affairs, Development Studies, Political Science, International Relations or a related field) or a related field from an accredited academic institution with equivalent combination of work experience in a related area.
• Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
• Strong understanding of migration issues;
• Excellent research, writing, communication and analytical skills, including a record of publishing on aspects of migration;
• Excellent communication skills in English (oral and written), previous experience in dissemination and communication of research outputs as well as in fundraising highly desirable;
• Good level of computer literacy (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher, as well as virtual conference platforms such as Zoom);
• Excellent attention to details;
• Strong organizational skills;
• Ability to understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
• Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of a third official IOM language, (Spanish or French) is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Eligibility and Selection
In general, the Internship Programme aims at attracting talented students and graduates who:
a) have a specific interest in, or whose studies have covered, areas relevant to IOM programmes and activities;
b) are holding a scholarship for internship placements in international organizations and/or for whom internship is required to complete their studies; or
c) are sponsored by governmental/non-governmental institutions and/or academia to work in specific areas relevant to both IOM and the sponsor.
d) are either students approaching the end of their studies and preparing a thesis, or recently graduated, who have less than two years of relevant working experience.
This internship programme will be supporting the Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. As this will be a teleworking opportunity and will be required to overlap with the duty station, please consider the time difference in the duty station prior to applying.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and additional enquiries will only be addressed if the candidate is shortlisted.
Depending on experience and location, IOM provides a small monthly stipend to help offset costs.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 04 March 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 23.02.2022 to 04.03.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: INT 2022 08 – Migration Research and Publications Division (2 Positions) (Homebased) (57435489) Released
Posting: Posting NC57435490 (57435490) Released