Plan International was founded over 75 years ago with a mission to promote and protect the rights of children. The organisation was set up by British journalist John Langdon-Davies and refugee worker Eric Muggeridge in 1937, with the original aim to provide food, accommodation and education to children whose lives had been disrupted by the Spanish Civil
Monitoring and Evaluation Co-ordinator
The Monitoring and Evaluation Co-ordinator will oversee Plan Kenya monitoring and evaluation activities on specific location and country wide assignments to drive Data Quality Assurance and specific data requirements for projects/programmes as well as tracking and reporting on outcomes and impact of our activities. The Monitoring and Evaluation Co- Ordinator will share their learning across the organisation and help facilitate learning in other departments and regions.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
The Monitoring and Evaluation Co-ordinator will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Monitoring Implementation and M&E coordination at strategic level (40%):
- Take a lead role in the development and execution of a functional M&E framework on the projects based on tracking of outcomes and impacts
- Ensure the activity monitoring logs are well kept in a quick and easy to access and retrieve
- Design and implementation of the programme monitoring and evaluation framework and information system to track delivery against targets, outcomes and impacts
- Analysis of data collected for assessment of progress and areas of improvement and overall data management
- Advances organisation research agenda and works with project teams and M&E Manager to identify and roll out research initiatives and evaluate activities, using appropriate ethical principles and methods.
- Promoting learning and knowledge sharing of best practices and lessons learned
- Support in developing monitoring tools to track program performance in line with the Theory of Change and the M&E Plan
- Develop monitoring and evaluation frameworks such as log frame, M&E Plan, results indicators and indicator tracking table for the project for quality tracking of achievement of results
- Monitor and evaluate overall progress on achievement and sustainability of results
- In liaison with project teams, coordinate periodic reporting, monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual progress on all project activities to the M&E Manager/Project Manager
- Manage and conduct quantitative and qualitative monitoring, evaluations and studies among program beneficiaries and other stakeholders,
- Identify areas of technical support to project partners and Organize refresher trainings on M&E for partners as required
- Conduct capacity assessment on existing monitoring and evaluation system and work with the teams to develop technical skills /competencies in using the systems to track results
Quality improvement and standards (20%)
- Tracks implementation of indicators and sets of measures of sustainability and success to generate reliable evidence and propose recommendations for improvement
- Uses on-going project monitoring and assessment reports, working closely with project teams to improve the quality of implementation and adapt project design.
- Provides inputs, information and statistics for quarterly, annual and other reports to Project Management
- Support in application of strategies to the Project Management for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the project by identifying ad dealing with bottlenecks
- Employs data quality management standards though use of appropriate data collection tools, data management and analysis methods
- Ensures adherence to M&E standards, Research and evaluation standards and all M&E cooperate standards at the Program Unit.
- Establishes and manages a performance monitoring and evaluation framework with specific goals, outcomes, inputs, outputs, processes, indicators, data needs and sources as well as reporting templates and frequency, for effective monitoring, reporting and updating of the progress of programmes and projects
Documentation, Data management, Learning and Knowledge management (20%)
- Establishes an inquisitive learning culture within PIK through leading the capacity building efforts in M&E
- Supports project teams to develop case studies, change/impact stories to inform projects achievements
- Provide advice to the partners and project team on improving project performance using M&E findings.
- Develops an internal mechanism while liaising with the knowledge management specialist of sharing of documents across the hub and the country programs
- Leads and conducts analysis of quantitative data as well as qualitative data on all program inputs, outputs and outcomes to inform project designs
- Dissemination of Monitoring Reports for internal and external audiences
- Supports the MERL Manager to respond to Senior Management or donor data queries in an -accurate and timely manner
- Creates, establishes and maintains programme level monitoring tools and databases that are mainstreamed to existing systems and aligned with programme design
- Develops and maintains an updated database of all completed interventions and periodically carry out meta-analysis of the information.
- Ensures all the data is disaggregated by sex, age and disability and that all the studies are gender responsive
- Responsible for supporting from a gender perspective, data collection, analysis and utilization across all programs at the hub level, based on the agreed tools developed and approved by MERL Manager
- Ensures that project and program teams utilise the country-based data collection tools and observe data quality controls
- Facilitates and supports the documentation of best practices and lessons learned from project outputs for audiences within and outside Plan International
- Leads the program teams in developing case studies, change stories annually for publication in a professional journal.
- Identifies and documents interventions and initiatives, and knowledge management products that can be replicated or scaled up.
Capability building through knowledge sharing, networking and coaching (15%)
- Reviews M&E findings and best practices and disseminates information to stakeholders to facilitate evidence-based planning, learning and informed decision-making
- Promote individual and organisational learning through systematic reflection processes, documentation, dissemination and knowledge management.
- Support coaching and training of staff and partners for improved MERL practices in response to needs.
- Builds, maintains and engages in internal and external MERL partnerships and networks.
- Assesses the capacity of project implementation teams and project partners on Monitoring and Evaluation systems and processes and builds their capacity on identified gaps to ensure they are able to co-participate in the monitoring and evaluation of projects
- Trains and manages staff in M&E data collection, analyses, verification and reporting
- Capacity builds local partners and staff where appropriate on the result framework, data management, and results-oriented programming that incorporates gender considerations
- Facilitate access to relevant and accurate information on the Programme to stakeholders including the government officers, parents, and young people.
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) 5%
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Leads the orientation of programme staff to ensure that they are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding and GEI policies;
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in project design, during implementation and as principles applied in day-to-day work of Programme team;
- Ensures that Plan Kenya contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
Qualifications/ experience essential:
- Minimum of a University Degree in Social Science, Economics, statistics, development studies or any other related field from a recognized university.
- At least 4 years of demonstrated successful coordination of M&E functions and experience
- Grounded understanding of qualitative and quantitative methodologies in research and evaluation
- Experience with evaluations/research logistics, administration and/or project or research management
- Experience with database design and management including advanced use of Excel and data analysis and entry packages including at minimum SPSS, Stata, R, Epiinfo, Atlas-Ti, CSpro and the use of KOBO Collect platforms for data collection
- Excellent written and spoken English, including the ability to write clear and engaging reports
- Strong demonstrable levels of knowledge of and experience with gender sensitive research design, performance monitoring, impact evaluation, and / or social and environmental research methodologies
Qualifications/ experience desirable:
- Evidence of experience in development of longitudinal real time data bases including online application for management of data
- Experience in advising / coaching individuals, teams and / or organisations in M&E system design, research methodologies, research design
- Previous experience with mobile data collection (Kobo, ODK, CsPro) and GIS mapping an asset
- Experience in the application of MERL systems and frameworks including theory of change and logical frameworks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Knowledge of Kiswahili, desirable
- Well-developed knowledge of qualitative and quantitative methodologies to MERL initiatives for programme and influencing, including data collection and analysis, appropriate for different information needs, respondents and contexts with a particular focus on those that are participatory, gender and age sensitive and inclusive.
- Grounded understanding of gender and inclusion attitudes and power dynamics, including why they exist and how they change, and how these attitudes and dynamics shape MERL methods and approaches.
- Knowledge of essential sample strategies and frameworks appropriate for wide range of data needs and MERL initiatives.
- Broad understanding of data quality assurance requirements and approaches for a wide range of data needs and MERL initiatives.
- Knowledge of data visualization principles and approaches for a wide range of data types, and appropriate for different information needs.
- Proper understanding of data ownership, transfer, retention and management requirements and approaches.
- Knowledge of accountability and reporting requirements to internal and external stakeholders especially a multiplicity of major international donors.
- Hand on experience and skill in result based MERL system
- Proficiency in applied statistics
- Understanding of quantitative methods for data collection and analysis.
- Understanding of sampling strategies for quantitative methods.
- Experienced in Training of data collectors/enumerators in quantitative data collection methodologies
- Proficiency in statistical analysis software – SPSS, R, STATA, NVivo, ATLAS ti etc.
- Understanding of qualitative methods for data collection and analysis
- Able to apply evaluation and research methods and approaches for a wide range of programme and influencing interventions.
- Ability to apply ethical requirements and principles in MERL initiatives.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and team working skills
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Highly approachable, trustworthy and confidential
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Works well under pressure and meets deadlines
- Excellent planning, coordination, and reporting skills, with the ability to organize a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities