Position Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Consultant
Reference Number: CFA/IOMSO/006/2021
Duty Station: IOM Somalia Office in Nairobi
Type of Appointment: Consultancy Contract for 6 months
Organizational Unit: Migrant Protection Assistance (MPA)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 08 December 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. This is a request call for application for Consultancy. Applications from all gender candidates are encouraged.
Nature of the consultancy:
The selected candidate will contribute mainly to two programmes under the Migrant Protection and Assistance Unit, IOM Somalia:
EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in East and Horn of Africa;
EU-IGAD Regional Response to COVID-19 Project in the Horn of Africa.
EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in East and Horn of Africa
Launched in December 2016, with funding from the EU Emergency Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF), the EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration is the first comprehensive programme to save lives, protect and assist migrants along key migration routes in Africa. The Joint Initiative covers and closely cooperates with 26 African countries in Horn of Africa, Sahel and Lake Chad, and North Africa regions combined. In Horn of Africa, the Joint Initiative (JI-HoA) commenced in March 2017 with an overall objective to contribute to facilitating orderly, safe, regular and rights-based migration through the facilitation of dignified voluntary return and the implementation of development-focused and sustainable reintegration policies and processes.
JI-HoA is implemented primarily in line with the key Khartoum Process countries of Djibouti, Ethiopia, Somalia and Sudan. In its fifth year of implementation, this long-standing Programme is coming to an end in March 2022. The Programme requires close monitoring and evaluation of its activities with frequent coordination with the Regional Coordination Unit (RCU), and support to the IOM Somalia MPA staff in the Mogadishu office and Hargeisa and Bossaso sub-offices to ensure timely and successful Programme implementation, closure as well as beneficiary accountability and donor compliance.
Concurrently, EU, through its new financial framework called the Neighborhood, Development and International Cooperation Instrument, has provided a “comfort letter” noting their commitment to fund the Programme extension as a Special Measure Project (SMP) covering the Sahel and Lake Chad as well as HoA regions. Therefore, a solid monitoring and evaluation system would be paramount for the SMP from April 2022 until the end of the 2022.
Objective: EU-IGAD Regional Response to COVID-19 Project in the Horn of Africa.
The overall objective of the multi-partner project is to contribute to mitigating the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in the IGAD sub-region, responding to the call for international support made by IGAD Heads of States, Health and Finance Ministers. The focus of IOM’s intervention is to contribute to reduce COVID-19 transmission in key geographical areas that experience high levels of migration in cross border areas, Migrant Response Centres (MRCs), urban sites, and areas where communities are hosting migrants, internally displaced persons (IDPs) and refugees – with key beneficiaries being migrants (including, returnees, displaced populations, migrant workers, irregular and vulnerable migrants) and the communities with which they interact. The IOM contributes to the overall project objective 2: ‘Increased access to health and socioeconomic support for vulnerable groups in the IGAD region’ IOM initiated project implementation after signing the agreement on 17 November 2020, and immediately kick-started project activities. In Somalia, under the MPA unit, implementation began in earnest in January 2021 and will end in June 2022.
Overall, IOM supported seven quarantine/isolation/screening facilities in Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan and Uganda, and 11 Points of Entry (PoEs) to undertake COVID-19 screening and surveillance activities in Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan and Uganda. Specifically, in Somalia the project supports the Migrant Response Centre in Bossaso, Puntland. As per the Regional monitoring plan, Country offices are required to conduct regular monitoring activities of project activities and results as per the tools and templates for indicator data collection developed throughout the implementation of the project and support with monthly, quarterly and annual reporting.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission, IOM-Somalia, overall supervision of the Program Manager-Migrant Assistance Division (MPA), the M&E Consultant will be responsible for Supporting the implementation, monitoring of and reporting on the project EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in East and Horn of Africa and EU-IGAD Regional Response to COVID-19 Project in the Horn of Africa projects.
- In consultation with Programme Manager, implement project standardized Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) systems including, M&E plan, tools, quality assurance mechanisms and data collection methods and procedures.
- Work in close consultation with Programme Managers, Project officers in sub-offices and National M&E officer to consolidate and share as necessary relevant M&E information to inform project progress and improvement in line with IOM and donor requirements.
- In line with donor agreement and project M&E plans and in coordination with RCU, provide in-country operational and logistical support for the successful implementation of internal and external, mid-term and final evaluations or research, and facilitate timely and adequate implementation of related action points and recommendations in the management response plan.
- Document monitoring and evaluation trends and activities and create mechanisms for documenting and sharing lessons among project staff.
- Review M&E plans regularly and ensure their pertinence to programme goals and objectives while regularly supervise the data collection and report on the log frame indicators in line with JI-HoA M&E Framework and in line with EU-IOM IGAD COVID-19 Response M&E Framework in close coordination with RCU.
- Perform quantitative and qualitative data collection tool design, data cleaning, data analysis and visualization, dissemination and reporting.
- Conduct monitoring visits to field sites under the JI-HoA in Somalia to identify and track follow-up actions related to the JI-HoA M&E Plan and suggest corrective actions as necessary.
- Review progress reports by implementing partners and identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation and necessary corrective actions
- Provide guidance and technical support to field-based Project Assistants, M&E National Officer, Enumerators on M&E activities and timely data entry in existing databases.
- Ensure effective information flow between sub-offices, project team and Regional Office on lessons learned and implications for future action based on M&E findings.
- Coordinate with the Project Manager and Programme support Unit to produce and provide country specific data and information for internal and external reports and other information requests.
- Support the country’s communications focal point to document success stories such as capturing case studies for donor reports, website and newsletters.
- Compile and produce M&E information and knowledge products tailored for return and reintegration issues.
- Monitor and support the existing feedback and complaint mechanisms for return and reintegration and regularly share findings to inform programmatic adjustments
- Continuously assess the country’s internal capacity for M&E and provide related capacity enhancement training and workshops, particularly strengthening the capacity of the M&E National Programme Officer and Enumerators to drive forward the work in the field.
- Participate in learning events under the JI-HoA and other JI programmes as appropriate.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned to support with the implementation of other M&E activities and reporting for the Migrant Protection and Assistance Unit.
Performance indicators for the evaluation of results
i. Coordination of a minimum of 2 monitoring visits in Somalia during the duration of the consultancy.
ii. Organization of a minimum of 3 capacity building activities for internal and external stakeholders during the duration of the consultancy.
iii. Timely support of monthly and quarterly reporting processes
iv. Timely implementation of data collection tools, data analysis and dissemination
v. Timely development of monthly country specific data, information sheet and knowledge products for internal and external stakeholders based on M&E findings
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Operational and field experience in project implementation, M&E or information management of migration related projects;
- Experience in coordination, communicating and liaising with governmental authorities, UN, international and national NGOs and other national/international institutions;
- Experience working with IOM is an asset;
- Experience with EUTF programmes is an asset;
- Working experience in the East and Horn of Africa region is an added value;
- Knowledge and understanding of the migration related issues, including economic and social conditions of migrants in several countries, return and reintegration processes in the region is an advantage;
- Proven experience in: the logical framework approach, Result Based Management and other strategic planning approaches; M&E methods and approaches (including quantitative, qualitative and participatory); implementation of M&E systems and plans; data cleaning, analysis, visualization and dissemination; qualitative and quantitative sampling techniques; training in M&E development and implementation; information analysis and report writing;
- Proven experience in data management, analysis and reporting in a humanitarian or development context;
- Expert knowledge of MS office and advanced statistical skills including knowledge of database management, statistical and project management software is a strong advantage;
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated managerial and organizational ability;
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and to write clearly and accurately
- Effective resource management and mobilization skills;
- Excellent knowledge of technical cooperation principles, concepts and techniques;
- Good knowledge of financial and administrative management.
Fluency in English is required (Oral and Written). Working knowledge of Somali language is an added advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this call for Application/expression of interest is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Call for Application Number (CFA No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees (preferably direct /former supervisors) and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com
From: 02.12.2021 to 08.12.2021