BOMA is working to lift 3 million people out of extreme poverty by 2027. BOMA’s mission is to provide the people and governments of Africa’s drylands with economic inclusion programs that increase resilience to multiple crises. Founded 15 years ago to eliminate extreme poverty among pastoralist women in Kenya, BOMA has since transformed the lives of more than 350,000 women, youth and refugees in East Africa. BOMA stands out for its focus on last mile populations of the drylands of Africa, who are most at risk to shocks from climate change and COVID-19, tech savvy and data driven approach, impressive graduation rate and 99% local structure based in Africa. Find out more about BOMA by visiting our website: www.bomaproject.org
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
BOMA is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer on the newly awarded Livelihoods and Inclusion for Transformation Northern Kenya (LIFT NK) project. LIFT NK will lift more than ten thousand women and youth out of extreme poverty and coach them to establish and grow micro-enterprises that sustainably harvest and manage local natural resources, especially drylands forests. The three-year project (2022-2025) will be implemented in Marsabit, Samburu and Turkana counties and in the Kakuma refugee camp and the Kalobeyei Refugee Settlement.
JOB SUMMARY – PURPOSE
The Monitoring & Evaluation Officer is a key position for program quality assurance, accountability, documentation, and learning. The position holder will support the LIFT NK Project in planning and execution of monitoring and evaluation activities while ensuring quality in accordance with accepted standards, providing essential feedback for learning, accountability and decision making. S/he will be responsible for providing internal capacity building for program staff on monitoring and evaluation activities as well as reviewing the necessary tools that will feed into the needs of the program, government counterparts and stakeholders, with the guidance of the M&E Manager. The position holder will also support effective field-level collaboration and promoting a culture of M&E for learning and adaptation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1 Strategy Implementation
i. Provide day-to-day-management of LIFT NK monitoring and evaluation activities, digital data collection and analysis for baselines and end-lines, as well as impact evaluations for the programs.
ii. Operationalize data quality management strategy at county and program level.
iii. Ensure consistent utilization of the BOMA Performance Insights database for all M&E data submissions.
2 Program Management
i. Contribute directly to achieving the project’s strategic objectives and components through the implementation of a single integrated/harmonized monitoring system.
ii. Responsible for managing the data collection and coordination with the County team (and consultants if necessary) ensuring a high quality of data collected and the use of evidence to inform adaptive management.
iii. Coordinate and supervise all enumeration activities in the field level during the surveys commissioned by the project.
iv. Create and instill an M&E culture that promotes the learning and self-critical skills of program staff in the pursuit of project excellence.
v. Ensure alignment of M&E activities with program objectives and contribute to the development of annual work plans.
vi. Support Program Manager, Program Coordinator, as well as other technical and program staff in the preparation of quarterly/annual activity reports and verification of reported data.
vii. Coordinate and support the implementation of the main M&E phases of the Project Management Cycle (baseline survey, mid-term evaluation and final evaluation)
viii. Plan and conduct Routine Data Quality Assurance (RDQA) for the reported data at County level to ensure adherence to data quality standards.
ix. Participate in the planning for and review of the baseline, midterm and final evaluation SOP, data collection tools and reports.
x. Ensure that lessons learned throughout the project at County level are captured and communicated to internal and external stakeholders through appropriate channels for decision-making.
3 Partner Collaboration
i. Develop the necessary relationships and partnerships with consortium partners
ii. Seek the active collaboration of consortium partners in M&E as well as their appropriation of the tools, including integration of M&E in core program management functions.
iii. Work closely with consortium partners to track implementation of the research agenda, develop milestones for progress and conduct the evaluation of research agenda.
iv. Identify, build, and manage trusted partnerships with consortium agencies, local government and other stakeholders
4 Team Management
i. Create and maintain a work environment where mutual respect among team members prevails and where the pursuit of individual and collective excellence is valued.
ii. Promote individual accountability and commitment by clearly and regularly communicating expectations and providing constructive feedback.
iii. Train County program team members on their M&E responsibilities and how to use the tools developed
5 Organizational Learning
i. As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit BOMA as well as themselves.
ii. Effectively communicate the program’s best practices to build BOMA’s positive image with development stakeholders
6 Other Duties as Assigned
i. Taking up any other reasonable additional duties and responsibilities as assigned from time to time by the Program Director, LIFT Northern Kenya ii. Always conduct themselves in a professional manner.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Monitoring and Evaluation or another relevant field.
2. At least 2-3 years’ experience working in an NGO setting preferably in livelihood programs.
3. Practical experience in use of data analysis and Visualization tools like STATA, SPSS, Power BI, or Tableau.
4. Formal M&E training and/or specialized skills in statistics are an advantage.
5. Experience in research and surveys – design of tools, data collection, data processing and analysis.
6. Experience cleaning large data sets.
7. Strong writing skills with experience preparing reports and technical documents.
8. Hand-on experience on use of data visualization tools (Tableau and Power BI)
9. Strong organizational, communication and writing skills.
10. Ability to multi-task and adhere to project timeline
11. Excellent analytical and detail-oriented skills, with extensive experience in research, surveys, and data management.
12. Experience in the arid lands, preferably in East Africa
13. Strong computer skills and very good knowledge in use of applications such as Excel, Word, Access, and PowerPoint required, while working knowledge of Salesforce and Taroworks would be an advantage. Also demonstrated ability to leverage technology in social entrepreneurship.
14. Good planning and organizational capacity with demonstrable ability to work with minimal supervision and demonstrated ability to multitask.
ESSENTIAL SOFT SKILLS:
1. Excellent relationship building skills.
2. Flexible and adaptable with proven capacity to respond rapidly and effectively to a changing environment.
3. Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and being held accountable for meeting ambitious targets.
4. Leadership skills to work with autonomy while still being collaborative, prioritize tasks, and positively influence others to follow directives and meet deliverables.
5. Problem-solver mentality, with the ability to adapt seamlessly to changing priorities and enforce regulations.
6. Organized, high level of accuracy, and meticulous attention to detail.
7. Ability to synthesize information from multiple sources; and
8. Adaptable to changing priorities and deadlines seamlessly
9. Respect for diversity and commitment to gender equality
How to apply
Interested and suitable qualified candidates to submit their application, through My Jobs In Kenya Website using the attached link https://rb.gy/dwfitz
Applications must be received by 31st October 2022. Late applications will not be considered. While we thank all applicants for expressing interest in the role, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. BOMA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, young people, and persons living with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Management Information Systems (MIS) Officer at Save the Children
- Call Center Quality and Process Analyst – Kenya National Hire at Church World Service
- Senior Food Security Livelihoods and Resilience Advisor at Save the Children
- People Operations Officer- LIFT – NK at The Boma Project
- Field Correspondent at The Boma Project