CARE International is a major humanitarian agency delivering emergency relief and long-term international development projects.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Coordinator
The purpose of the MEAL Coordinator position is to provide leadership and support in development and operationalization of an M&E system, including M&E plans at program and partner levels, and ensure that the system aligns with CARE Kenya M&E indicators; Support the team and partner staff in M&E capacity to monitor and demonstrate progress and outcomes of interventions. In addition, the MEAL Coordinator will be supervising data management support to the program, to help strengthen data quality checks and ensure that data is of high quality, supporting the program team to carry out onsite data verifications, strengthening program quality and accountability and generating evidence, documentation of innovations and their outcomes at all levels of the program. The MEAL Coordinator will also ensure quality of program activities at CARE and partner level are assessed against set quality benchmarks; that program stakeholder input is sought at different levels; and program findings are shared with the stakeholders and participant and partner feedback incorporated into program decision making process, for accountability and learning.
ROLES AND RESPOSIBILITIES
Leadership and Coordination in the Development and operationalisation of an M&E system and Capacity Building
- Provide leadership support in all aspects of M&E for the program
- Work with Program manager in the development of the M&E plan and implementation strategy, ensuring that all interventions are well captured and indicators of monitoring progress and measuring outcomes are technically sound and captured.
- Support compliance to the program M&E Plan at Country office level and monitoring compliance of partners and CAREs M&E plans.
- Working with the Program Manager, develop tools for data collection and reporting, and their guidelines for use and ensuring that compliance to the tools is achieved.
- Develop assessments and identification of program beneficiaries, program data base and ensure the same is updated monthly and reports generated, as often as per indicators for reporting progress at individual level and contextual level.
- Support monitoring of M&E activities as indicated in the work plan and against the M&E budget.
- Ensure compliance to monitoring and reporting timelines for the project
- Working closely with the program team provide quarterly progress updates on program activities against implementation and M&E plan and ensure that the actions proposed are incorporated to improve performance measurement.
- Working with the Program team to identify M&E capacity gaps and develop capacity building plans to address those gaps.
- stays connect to the CARE-wide COP on MEAL and develops plans and tools in line with CARE’s standards for MEAL and KM in Vision 2030
- Working closely with Program team to support the documentation, publication, and sharing of Human-Interest Stories and lessons learnt.
- Support the Program Manager in planning and facilitating program monitoring and evaluation strengthening activities for the program.
- Explore ways to bring more participant-centred learning into MEAL strategy and approaches
Providing adequate data management support to the program while ensuring that data is of highest quality and there is evidence of adequate support documentation
- Responsible for updating the program database/ performance framework monthly with verified performance results.
- Support in the development of database/data capturing tools.
- Closely work with the Program team to perform data quality checks/verification to all data received and collected with an aim of ensuring that program data is reliable and accurate.
- Together with the Program team, perform quarterly and annual monitoring support at field level and routinely support in conducting data audits/trails.
- Ensure that all program data support documents are appropriately stored for easy of retrieval during verification and other need basis.
Strengthened Collaboration and Networking
- Represent the Program in core monitoring and evaluation committees, National & County engagements, and related program activities as necessary.
- Represent the Program in decentralised M&E forums, selected M&E capacity building and strengthening forums with a view to keeping the program informed on current initiatives and developments in M&E and provide staffs updates from these forums.
- Share project successes and learning in relevant national and regional forums (external to CARE)
- Identify key audiences and platforms to share program learning, results, and publications to influence the sector and promote visibility and learning across projects.
- Connect to key adolescent empowerment and micro-credit networks to share project publications, present on panels, etc.
- Perform any other duty as assigned by the supervisor, related to collaboration and networking.
Strengthen CARE’s performance in Food Security and Nutrition, and related Program interventions
- Support enhanced management cohesion of cross sectoral and innovation areas of the program at sectoral National and Country Office programs and staff, in MEAL.
- Strengthen CARE’s Monitoring and Evaluation roles including MEAL systems development, reporting of Program and Program Information and Impact Reporting System (PIIRS), capacity strengthening on quality M&E
- Support CARE’s achievement of strategic interventions as outlined in the strategic plan, program principles and other frameworks
- Undertake any other relevant duties as assigned by supervisor or management that enhance CARE’s mission.
- A bachelor’s degree in social science, IT, statistics, M and E or related field – a master’s degree will be an added advantage
- Training in M&E is required.
- Training in Gender will be an added advantage
Experience and Competencies Required
- Five years of work experience in monitoring and evaluation of food security and nutrition programs
- Familiarity with performance-based funding systems and procedures.
- Ability to develop and implement monitoring and evaluation plans
- Excellent data analysis and report writing skills
- Computer literacy, particularly in the use of MS Access, MS Excel and statistical packages (SPSS, STATA, EPI INFO etc)
- Data and information presentation and writing skills
- Strong mentorship and partnership skills
- Analytical capacity
- Excellent inter-personal, facilitation skills and communication skills
- Person of high moral character and professional integrity
- Must expressly be supportive of girls and women’s empowerment
Closing: 5 August 2022