CARE Ghana seeks a Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Specialist on its anticipated USAID-funded Strengthening Accountability in Ghana’s Education System (SAGES) project. This project aims to improve primary education service delivery through institutionalizing accountability in the Ghanian primary education system. The activity will support efforts led by the Government of Ghana (GOG), in particular the Ministry of Education (MOE) and its agencies/affiliates, to strengthen the enabling environment for education accountability and increase the performance of the education system.
Position: Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning Specialist,
The MEAL Specialist will be responsible for setting up, maintaining and overseeing all project MEAL systems. The Specialist will design the MEAL framework, manage information flows, and report to the COP. They will supervise MEAL reporting functions to systematically generate, share, synthesize and apply data to learning and effective, adaptive management.
This activity is expected to be a five-year program in the $40-$50M range.
This position is pending donor approval and funding. Ghanaian candidates are encouraged to apply.
Location: Accra, Ghana
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Develop the overall framework for the project’s MEAL systems, including requirements, reporting, baseline, and evaluation surveys. Develop and monitor the project’s Performance Management Plan (PMP) to systematically document outcomes for project technical leads and leadership team.
- Ensure alignment of MEAL activities with program goals and contribute to the development of annual work plans to identify project targets and ensure inclusion of M&E and Learning activities.
- Monitor project activities and track these activities against the results framework.
- Conduct field visits for data validation, to monitor the quality and completeness of data sets. Coordinate data collection at project sites to monitor program development and ensure timely compilation and reporting of data. Capture and document lessons learned, and champion scaling up of best practices.
- Generate monthly indicator reports and track progress against key indicators.
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of project activities to donors, including progress against targets set in the award agreement and annual work plan, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Provide technical leadership and support to project and partner staff in planning and implementing MEAL systems and activities, data-based program decision-making, and results reporting. Supervise, mentor, and build the capacity of project MEAL staff.
- Develop and implement effective monitoring tools and approaches to demonstrate the effectiveness of project interventions.
- Support the Chief of Party in coordinating the mid-term and final project evaluations.
- Ensure implementation of continuous community feedback mechanisms and training.
- Develop and lead knowledge management programs, facilitate communities of practice and social networking, as well as facilitate organizational learning, change, and advancing foreign aid effectiveness.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field preferred; additional years of experience in lieu of a master’s is acceptable.
- Minimum of 8 years of MEAL experience, with experience in technical areas relevant to the solicitation.
- Previous experience managing MEAL on USG-funded programs of a similar size and scope.
- Knowledge of ICT for MEAL and data visualization skills is a plus.
- Demonstrated track record in strategic, systems, and holistic thinking, managing resistance to change, and understanding of organizational culture, learning, and change management.
- Proven leadership experience in organizational and peer-to-peer learning, capacity strengthening, and the USAID Collaborating Learning and Adapting (CLA) framework. Familiarity with Participatory Learning and Action and other qualitative and quantitative research approaches.
- Ability to translate complex ideas into easily accessible and understandable concepts and/or messages for diverse, non-technical audiences; knowledge of tools for communicating program learning.
- Experience leading Developmental Evaluation (DE) approaches.
- Demonstrated presentation skills that can influence decision makers and foster organizational change strategies, and experience implementing them within a complex organizational setting.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Track record of a strong commitment to sharing knowledge, documenting experiences, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain partnerships and productive working relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Fluency in English (spoken and written) is required.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please visit our website at
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.*\
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here. The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE’s career website at any time.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Communication Advisor at Asian Disaster Preparedness Center
- TENDER: Adolescent and Youth Health and Wellbeing in the MENA Region at Save the Children
- UN.E RESPONSABLE DE PROGRAMME SECURITE ALIMENTAIRE ET MOYENS D’EXISTENCE at Action Contre la Faim France
- Administrative Assistant at Population Services International (PSI)
- Landscape Manager, South East, Liberia at Fauna & Flora International