Location: Yaoundé, Cameroon
Contract: Fixed Term Contract 2 Years (Renewable) Salary: Local Terms and Conditions apply
Purpose of role Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer (MEL)
Our global Monitoring Evaluation and Learning team have a great opportunity for a MEL practitioner to join their team in Cameroon. They are looking for a MEL Officer with previous experience in a similar role to support the collation, analysis and use of quantitative and qualitative data across thematic areas of programme work, including inclusive data.
This role offers flexible working from home and the office in line with the policy for Sightsavers Cameroon
The role of MEL Officer
Working as part of the global Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) team under the guidance of the UK-based Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Advisor the post-holder will provide support to Country Office teams to implement data collection in projects throughout the project cycle, strengthen data management, improve the quality and timeliness of reporting and increase the utilisation of data in decision making. They will also support and contribute to initiatives for learning, including dissemination of evidence through learning seminars and workshops.
Sightsavers is part way through the implementation of a strategic measurement framework – Learning Accountability and Monitoring Progress (LAMP). The MEL Officer will support and align their work with this strategic direction and also lead on specific projects aligned with the priorities of the MEL team according to their skills and interest.
- Contribute towards project design working closely with Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning managers and design teams
- Support the MEL Advisor (Quantitative) to plan and deliver inclusive data collection components, with a focus on disability and gender disaggregated data.
- Support the MEL Advisor (Qualitative) to plan and deliver qualitative data collection, with a focus on social inclusion and inclusive education projects and the development of participatory methodologies.
- Assist with the analysis of data sets and promote the use of evidence and inclusive data for future project designs.
Project Implementation and Monitoring
- Support the implementation of baselines during programme inception and throughout a projects’ life span; operationalise the evidence generation elements within a design in line with technical standards, trouble shoot and recommend improvements.
- Provide support to Country Offices and partners in developing and/or adapting monitoring tools during project inception and integrate evidence and learning into programme monitoring practice.
- Provide quality assurance on project/programme evidence generation activities, checking for consistency with agreed processes, and good practice including GDPR compliance, ethics and safeguarding.
- Run training sessions and workshops to support the operationalisation of MEL activities in projects.
- Conduct analysis of qualitative and quantitative data and lead on consolidation and dissemination across countries and projects.
- Support the development and strengthening of MEL practices in programmes by assisting in writing guidance, creating tools and delivering workshops.
- Contribute to strengthening learning dissemination and uptake within and beyond the MEL team
Knowledge, skills and experience for MEL Officer
- A tertiary degree in a relevant field, such as international development, public health, social sciences. Equivalent work experience will also be considered.
- Professional experience gained within the international development sector, NGO or similar.
- Proven work experience analysing quantitative and qualitative data and interpreting it for different audiences, including writing reports and making recommendations.
- Highly analytical and confident when working with qualitative and quantitative data.
- Experience in project management and monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Understanding of and commitment to inclusion for marginalised groups with experience in a similar role
- Fluency in French and English
- Ongoing right to work in Cameroon
- Availability to travel up to 8 weeks each year primarily across East and West Africa
- Master’s qualification in relevant field
- Familiarity with producing infographics to present information.
- Fluency in other relevant languages e.g., Kiswahili, Portuguese
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data analysis software
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer (MEL) is a highly varied and involved role and the above is not an exhaustive list of duties or required professional skills.
We will be conducting a two-stage interview process. We intend to issue a written task week commencing 4 July. Successful candidates will then be invited to a virtual interview week commencing 11 July.
- Job City Yaoundé