Position: Monitoring Evaluation & Learning (MEL) Specialist, USAID/Ghana Youth Activity
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $100 million, work in more than 100 countries worldwide with offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 600.
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist candidates to support the USAID-funded Ghana Youth Activity. The Activity will support rural and urban youth in northern Ghana with a range of sustainable opportunities, tools, and support systems that enable youth to improve their livelihoods, increase their abilities to contribute as both economically and socially productive individuals, promote peace, and become engaged community members. The activity will give special attention to the needs of girls, the disabled, and other disadvantaged groups. Based in Accra, the MEL Specialist will oversee and implement the programs’ Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) approach, MEL plan, and learning agenda.
Only citizens of Ghana or permanent residents with work authorization will be considered. This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Oversee the program’s CLA process in collaboration with the Chief of Party; ensure that the program’s CLA approach is applied with consistency and rigor; work with leadership team to apply program learnings in pursuit of adaptive management.
- Develop and implement a monitoring, evaluation, and learning plan across all program components including identification of process, output, and outcome indicators
- Develop monitoring activities that capture necessary data to report on program results
- Work with partners to ensure application of high-quality MEL activities and data collection; oversee partner capacity building as needed
- Ensure monitoring activities are conducted on schedule and participate in evaluations
- Communicate information obtained through M&E activities to IREX staff and various external stakeholders, notably donors and partners
- Be a primary MEL resource to the field office and field personnel; liaise regularly with IREX’s MEL team in DC
- Ensure data collection process is functioning in all activity locations to provide quality data within deadlines
- Regularly review data collection processes, perform data quality assessments, and make adjustments as needed
- Conduct regular visits to program sites to provide technical assistance and ensure proper monitoring of program activities
- Produce MEL reports for the Chief of Party and donors, as needed
- Develop annual performance plans and annual MEL plans.
- Serve as member of the program senior management team.
- Supervise assigned MEL staff.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Ghanaian citizenship or residency with work authorization is required.
- A master’s degree in statistics, demographics, public policy, education, or related field with a minimum of six (6) years of professional experience in Ghana implementing MEL activities, preferably in those funded by USAID or other international donors; ; or bachelor’s degree with eight (8) years of relevant experience also considered
- Experience working on programs focused on youth is preferred Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating program MEL systems from program initiation to closeout stages in Ghana required
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing MEL and performance monitoring plans
- Familiarity with innovative MEL methods to ensure data collection in areas with minimal connectivity and with participants with minimal literacy skills
- Experience in designing, managing, and implementing multi-disciplinary and results-based surveys, and developing and refining data collection tools
- Experience with data quality assessments and oversight
- Experience managing and providing ongoing training to MEL field officers
- A demonstrated commitment to creating a learning environment in a program
- Must have proven track record in the advanced use of modern communications tools, internet, email, social media, and teleconferences.
- Ability to communicate professionally and provide written reporting in English is required
How to apply
Please click https://irex.applytojob.com/apply/nyya8a2xGP/Monitoring-Evaluation-Learning-MEL-Specialist-USAIDGhana-Youth-Activity to submit your CV and cover letter for consideration.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Finance and Operations Director, USAID/Ghana Youth Activity at International Research and Exchanges Board
- Chief of Staff to the CEO at Inkomoko
- Senior Regional Programme Officer – West Africa at International Alert
- Director of Development at Inkomoko
- Fellows & Affiliates Officer at The African Academy of Sciences