Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 6 months
Location: Pemba, Mozambique
ABOUT THE MISSION
Since 2016, the Cabo Delgado region has seen its security context deteriorate sharply with the appearance of a radical group fighting Mozambican security forces and government representatives. Exactions on civilians has become common. The AOG (armed opposition group) pledged allegiance to the Islamic State in Central Africa (ISCAP). This region of Mozambique was already among the poorest and most underdeveloped in the country (ranked 181st on the HDI). The ongoing conflict has triggered a humanitarian crisis and generated many displacements.
Solidarités International started an emergency response in 2021 to respond to the needs of IDPs (more than 800,000 according to current estimations) and host communities in the region, focusing on some critical sectors (WASH, Shelter & FSL).
Solidarités International began operations in the district of Mueda that was welcoming many IDPs. SI opened a field office in July 2021 and a country office in the coastal town of Pemba (capital of Cabo Delgado).
Since then, the conflict between the AOG and the Mozambican armed forces supported militarily by troops and material from Rwanda and the SADC has evolved and the armed forces have taken control over all major towns of northern Cabo Delgado that used to be under control or influence of the AOG. Nevertheless, fighting and attacks continue to occur.
ABOUT THE JOB
Responsibilities and main activities:
This post is based in Pemba where the security and safety are not a concern. Moreover, the candidate is requested to be able to spend up to 50% of his/her time in the field as the position requires frequent travel to the bases.
The level of representation is important on the mission. Representation for the WASH Coordinator involves regular presence and participation to related clusters and TWiG (national and provincials) for Wash and Shelter/NFI. The position is also closely involved in donrs discussions, proposal writing and reports.
Mission is opening and work of organization, structuration and harmonization will have to be set up.
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
S/he will support the setup of all SI process, organization and structuration of the mission at program level, in coordination with prog coo.
S/he will contribute to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of Water supply, Sanitation and HP but also Shelter and NFI, with special attention to integrated approach shelter/wash and market-based approach;
S/he will identify the training needs of SI WASH teams in both bases and organized training as per needs
S/he will guarantee the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations
Education: University level degree, preferably a Master degree in Water Sanitation and Hygiene related sector, Engineering, Civil engineering or construction, Environment and/or Geology.
- Minimum 3 years’ professional work experience in a coordinator role in managing teams (including by remote control) + specific WASH experience.
- Significant previous experiences in emergency contexts and protracted crises.
- Experience in conducting technical assessment and project evaluation.
- Significant experience in an English-speaking environment.
Technical skills and knowledge:
- WASH programming experience;
- Team management and capacity building;
- Monitoring and evaluation;
- Report and proposal writing;
- Strategic thinking;
- Able to quickly understand complex situations and to coordinate both emergencies and long-term programs;
- Technical knowledge on water network, construction, behaviour change approach;
- Experience in social water management, participatory methods and community engagement in tensed community context.
Languages: Portuguese or Spanish and English are mandatory.
Other desirable qualities: leadership and management / coordination with partners / planning and prioritization / flexibility / capacity to work under stress / solution making oriented / Team player
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post: According to experience, starting from 2 400 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 750 USD
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded
How to apply
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link :
CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
- MOZAMBIQUE – MEAL MANAGER (H/F) – MUEDA at Solidarités International
- Programme Coordinator (Shelter Cluster) at International Organization for Migration
- Chefe – Controle Interno Risco e Compliance at Save the Children
- FINANCE HEAD OF DEPARTMENT at Action Contre la Faim France
- FOOD SECURITY AND LIVELIHOOD PROGRAM MANAGER (M/F) at Solidarités International