Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association.
Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around six operational directorates. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona and decentralized in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Medical Department.
GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND JOB ENVIROMENT
Anesthesia, Intensive Care and Pain Medicine Medical Advisor post is placed in the MSF OCBA Medical Department. The appointee is hierarchically accountable to the Director of the Medical Department; he/she will be in charge of providing directly support to Operational Cells at headquarters level and to the field programmes / projects.
The appointee will work in close collaboration with the Health Advisors in the Operational Cells and in the Medical Department on strategic, technical and transversal issues and be responsible for support to relevant missions.
Overall, the appointee will be required to provide leadership and strategic direction in MSF-OCBA in the areas of Anesthesia, Intensive Care and Pain Medicine;
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- To provide leadership and strategic direction in MSF-OCBA in the areas of Anesthesia, Intensive Care and Pain Medicine;
- To support and to develop medical expertise for projects/programmes with emergency care, surgical care and/or intensive care medical activities;
- To actively participate and at times take a lead in the ongoing development and implementation of the MSFOCBA medical strategy; to contribute within the medical department to explore new medical strategies context adapted in line with the MSF-OCBA operational challenges;
- To conduct field visits and assist in the set-up, implementation and follow up of projects/programmes and activities with anesthesia, emergency care, surgical care and/or intensive care component;
- To Contribute in the up-date and creation of technical documents/medical tools and medical guidelines;
- To support the Human Resources Department in the recruitment, matching and development of the pool of anesthesia, intensive care and emergency care specialists;
- To participate and professionally contribute to the MSF Anesthesia and other International Working Groups related to his/her field of expertise;
Education and experience
- Physician specialized who has completed an accredited residency program in anesthesiology; Board Certification or equivalent from country where specialization was done; Minimum of 2 years’ post graduate experience.
- Working experience as anaesthetist: wide experience in all aspects of anesthesia, including intensive care, surgery, obstetrics and pediatrics
- Experience in delivering medical care in humanitarian contexts
- Knowledge of evidence-based practice
- One year of experience within MSF is an important asset;
- Experience in training
- Proficiency in the English language.
- Spanish and French is a plus
- Good command of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Willing to travel abroad, including conflict settings
- Capacity to work with autonomy is required
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Analytical Thinking
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Interim position working from home
- 3-month period with possibility for extension
- Full time position
- Annual gross salary: HQ-4A (divided in 12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward policy
- Starting date: Immediately
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please follow the link below and submit your CV and cover letter
Closing date: December 9th, 2021, 23:59 CET (Central European Time)