Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations.
GENERAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POST
To provide 1st and 2nd line (remote or in person) technical support to MSF missions in Construction and Shelter areas and to contribute to capacity building of field staff through the application and transfer of technical know-how according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to enable the development of the missions in perfect working conditions and optimize the impact of the medical projects.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
In collaboration with the Logistics Coordinator and under the supervision of the HQ technical advisor or referent work with mission staff to promote relevant technical awareness and to improve technical delivery in Construction and Shelter area, providing support and advice area in accordance with Terms of Reference agreed with the mission, normally comprising the following responsibilities:
• Carrying out a functional evaluation of the set-up in the specific technical area, assessing the applicable technical installations, systems, structures, equipment and HR set-up, the compliance with procedures, policies and guidelines, within the framework of MSF standards in order to identify the main areas for improvement.
• Assessing and validating local suppliers and local (sub-) contractors for quality of materials, systems, installations, parts, etc. to ensure compliance with MSF quality standards.
• Developing and initiating the implementation of the improvement plan based on the recommendations arising from the functional evaluation.
• Assisting the logistics team with the design and installation of new (complex) systems and/or with the implementation of (new) protocols, tools etc.
• Monitoring and supervising established and on-going work, systems and installations in the field of expertise and provide technical advice and solutions when necessary.
• Assisting the logistics team in their HR tasks such as recruitment & selection of technical staff, briefing and debriefing of focal persons and logisticians.
• Identifying training needs and contributing to the definition of training content for the area of expertise. Facilitating team training and provide on-the-job training on technical basics related to area of specialisation according to MSF standards to enable effective implementation of relevant methodologies, systems and tools and ensure best practice is delivered.
• Upon request of the hierarchical manager and in coordination with the relevant technical referents in HQ, develop new policies, tools, protocols and SOPs related to his/her area of expertise (with a local, regional or even global approach).
· Contributing to the continuous learning and development of the department by:
• Drafting reports and action plans following field visits to capture experiences and lessons learnt”.
• Contributing to the research and development of field tools, practices, guidelines and policies based on insights gained in the job.
• Developing and maintaining knowledge of practices and approaches within the area of expertise, and to share this knowledge with others to enhance operational effectiveness.
· Providing direct field intervention:
• Upon request, participate in emergency operations.
SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES / TASKS / RESPONSIBILITIES
• Implementation of the OCBA Construction and Rehabilitation Procedures
• Supporting the mission on the Assessment and Feasibility phases for new construction projects
• Supporting the mission on initial design phases, for construction/rehabilitation projects under HQ supervision
• Feasibility study on the Implementation of our Accessibility and Inclusion guidelines
• Looking for traditional or local resources for insulating buildings
• Audit and recommendation to missions
• Training and coaching
• Validation of products and local suppliers and contractors
Education and experience
• Degree in Civil Engineering or Architectural degree
• 2 years’ experience in field construction within MSF or in a low resource setting
• Experience providing training to adult learners
• English and French.
• AutoCAD software, Microsoft package, Project Management, Revit (desirable).
• Commitment to MSF Principles
• Good communicator
• Problem solving
• Home based, with frequent field visits (more than 50% of the time)
• Full time job
• Temporary position: 1 year of commitment
• Annual Gross salary: L5 (divided in 12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy.
• Starting date: immediately
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY
• To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter
• Closing date: February 9th, 2022, 23:59 CET (Central European Time)