Helen Keller International is a global health organization dedicated to eliminating preventable vision loss, malnutrition and diseases of poverty. Cofounded by Helen Keller and guided by her fierce optimism and belief in human potential the organization delivers life-changing health solutions to vulnerable families where the need is great but access to care is limited. In the US, Africa, and Asia, Helen Keller’s proven, science-based programs empower people to create opportunities in their own lives and build lasting change.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Multi-sectoral Nutrition Coordination Specialist
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
- The USAID Advancing Nutrition implements and provides technical support to nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners.
- The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition. Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity and advance development.
- The overall purpose of the project in Nigeria is to provide technical support to the Government of Nigeria, and other nutrition stakeholders and generate evidence to enhance nutrition programming toward achieving the overall goal of improving nutrition for a healthy, productive, and resilient Nigeria.
Scope of the Position
- The Multi-Sectoral Nutrition Coordination Specialist will be responsible for managing the engagement with the State Committee on Food and Nutrition and ensure the timely implementation of the ‘food and nutrition policies, strategies and activities.
- S/he will be responsible for fostering alignment and coordination of the state government ministries, departments and agencies and other key multi-sectoral stakeholders, maintaining effective communication and relationships.
The main responsibilities of the position are:
- Facilitate the project’s engagement, coordination and partnerships with multi-sectoral actors and stakeholders. Ensure that the project is connected and engaging with the right policy and decision makers
- Ensure effective multi-sectoral nutrition coordination among implementing departments/offices. Manage the successful implementation of technical and administrative project activities in the multiple sectors.
- In collaboration with relevant stakeholders, ensure the functionality of state food and nutrition committees providing support to implement work plans and other activities.
- Facilitate regular state level coordination and technical committee meetings and monitor the progress of each sector towards achieving nutrition objectives. Identify challenges faced by multi-sectoral partners in the implementation of policies and strategies and report to the relevant bodies for solutions.
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with multiple stakeholders to support resource tracking for effective implementation of the project
- Together with other stakeholders, organize learning and experience sharing platforms to strengthen multi-sectoral nutrition coordination and implementation.
- Support the cascade of food and nutrition policy initiatives and strategies and mainstream nutrition across socioeconomic sectors
- Engage in professional forums, workshops, seminars and other eventsorganized at state level that contribute to the success of project activities
- Perform any other relevant duties as assigned by the State Coordinator
- Development of quarterly and annual plans of the State Food and Nutrition Committee, clearly defining activities and resources required
- Schedule and organize regular State Food and Nutrition Committee meetings and other coordination meetings with external stakeholders.
- Development and implementation of a routine multi-sector nutrition monitoring system, including process monitoring and annual outcome monitoring solutions for the program.
- Implementation of resource tracking system for multi-sectoral contributions to the nutrition sector
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent related experience.
- Required: 8+ years of experience in coordinating multispectral activities, partners and stakeholders
Knowledge and Skills:
- Capacity building/facilitation skills.
- Understanding of the coordination mechanisms for multi-sectoral nutrition activities in the state.
- Deep knowledge of key actors in the state’s food and nutrition ecosystem
- Proficiency in spoken and written English and spoken Hausa required.
- Experience in cross-cultural work environment.
- Ability to work under pressure in fast-paced environment.
- Adaptable, creative, collaborative and able to think strategically.
- Purpose driven and outcome focused – moving roadblocks, tackling difficult problems and is action oriented.
- Operate as a nimble learner – knowing personal strengths, weaknesses and limits, has a growth mindset.
- Impeccable negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and rapport building.
- Ability to travel regularly within the state as needed
Terms & Conditions:
- This is a local posting in Nigeria, and as such, is subject to local terms and conditions.
Application Closing Date
8th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Program Officer at Helen Keller International / USAID Advancing Nutrition Project
- External Auditor – Nigeria WAY Project at Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA)
- Investment Manager, Business Development Unit at the OPEC Fund for International Development
- Senior Portfolio Management Officer at the OPEC Fund for International Development
- Senior Risk Policy Officer at the OPEC Fund for International Development