Purpose of the Post:
The position is to provide technical support at the National and County level. The incumbent will manage child and adolescent health and Nutrition (CAHN) activities; provide technical guidance to the Ministry of Health (MOH) and partners on the managerial, organizational and operational aspects of CAH and Nutrition, ensuring the alignment with the Global strategy for children’s and adolescents’ health 2016–2030 and WHO CAH and Nutrition recommended standards and guidelines throughout the life course, with special focus on affected and vulnerable population.
In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, the incumbent will contribute to reduction in COVID-19 morbidity and mortality in Kenya by ensuring increasing and continued availability of quality Essential CAH and Nutrition services in this context of COVID 19 pandemic.
Objectives of the Programme and of the immediate unit or field activity (Overview of the programme):
Ccontribute to the reduction of mortality and morbidity of newborns, children and for the promotion of adolescent’s health and development by strengthening the national capacity in planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of interventions to improve the health and nutritional status, building effective partnerships with health development partners for an integrated approach to Primary Health Care.
Organizational Context (Describe the work environment, the role of the individual within the team – team member, specialist, adviser, facilitator, coordinator/manager, representative, expert, authority in the field, etc.; available guidelines and degree of independence in decision making, and nature and purpose of contact within and outside the Organization):
The incumbent will report to the team lead for the Universal Health Coverage/Life Course Cluster under the general guidance of the Head of the WHO country office. Within the delegated authority and in collaboration with other specialists at HQ and AFRO and in other offices including the MCATTs, the officer is responsible, for supervising the implementation, reporting of activities, and advocacy of reduction of Child and Adolescent health and Nutrition challenges, together with all partner agencies operating in the country (comprising UN agencies, international and national non-governmental organizations, counterparts, and local authorities)
Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected):
- Serve as the primary liaison for CAH&N between the Ministry of Health and WHO.
- Provide technical support to the Ministry of Health and its technical departments in the development, review and implementation of child and adolescent health and nutrition policies and strategies, including capacity building and supervision.
- Support the adaptation of global and regional evidence-based policies, strategies and plans for child, adolescent health and nutrition to fit the context of the country, with a view to reducing risk, morbidity and mortality and improving health across the life course.
- Build capacity for improved health service delivery for children and adolescent, at facility and community levels, and monitor progresses on health status;
- Facilitate national counterparts in operational research related to child and adolescent health and nutrition;
- Work with other clusters in WHO in addition to other relevant international, regional and national counterparts to advocate for WHO’s work on child and adolescent health and nutrition;
- Participate in resource mobilization and contribute to proposal development and implementation of, but not limited to, child and adolescent health and nutrition.
- Compile periodical reports and provide relevant programmatic information for internal and external reporting purposes.
- To work with the Incident Management Team for COVID-19 and other outbreaks to ensure continuity of essential CAH and Nutrition services
- Perform any other work requested by the supervisors.
Functional Skills and Knowledge (Describe skills and knowledge specific to the post):
1) Sound knowledge of the principles, practice, methodology and techniques in public health, Nutrition, epidemiology, communicable disease surveillance and control.
2) Sound knowledge of the devolved health system in Kenya and application of the principles of health systems approach in program work
3) Ability to collect, analyze and use data for program monitoring and evaluation.
4) Ability to monitor and communicate progress, write concise reports.
5) Skills in programme and proposal development, project management and promotion of national capacities,
6) Ability to work with partners proactively, including effective leadership of stakeholder meetings.
· Essential: A Medical Degree and Masters in Pediatrics or Public Health from a recognized university
· Desirable: Training in; Adolescent Health, Integrated management of Childhood illnesses, Infant and Young Child Nutrition, Health Programme Management or Epidemiology
· Essential: At least five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in the implementation, organization, and management of Public Health programmes in areas of CAH/N.
· Desirable: Experience in policy development and strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation in CAH & Nutrition; Relevant work experience with WHO and/or UN agencies, health cluster partners; experience working in relevant nongovernmental or humanitarian organizations
· Excellent knowledge of the English.
Other Skills (e.g. IT):
· Proficiency in all MSOffice software applications.
Contract Type and Duration
The type of contract will be the UN Special Services Agreement (SSA) at Grade NOC and the UN salary Scales will apply. The contract will be for a duration of six (6) months.
How to apply
How to apply
Qualified Kenyan Nationals should submit a Cover letter with an updated Curriculum Vitae based on the TORs on or before the closing date; 18 March 2022. The application should be sent to; email@example.com.
Please quote the Title of the Job Vacancy on the subject while applying for this position.