Vacancy Announcement – SVN/BW2021/02
Vacancy/Reference Number : SVN/BW2021/02
Position Title: National Programme Officer
Duty Station: IOM Gaborone, Botswana
Position Grade: NOA (UN Salary scale for National Officer in the Republic of Botswana)
Type of Appointment: SST, 9 months with possibility of extension
Closing Date :31 October 2021
Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and nongovernmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.**
Context and Scope:
Under the overall and direct supervision of the Regional Director for Southern Africa, in close coordination with Regional Thematic Specialists (RTSs), the Regional Liaison and Policy Officer and the Regional Project Development & Reporting Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating and implementing IOM programmes/projects in Botswana and IOM’s main interlocutor with the Government of Botswana. Also, he/she will be responsible for maintaining effective work relationships with the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) and other partners and stakeholders.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the establishment and maintenance of close institutional and working relationships with governmental authorities, donors, international organizations, nongovernmental organizations and other partners as well as the media, in order to improve and expand IOM’s range of activities in Botswana,
- Contribute to the development of new projects and implement on-going projects in close cooperation with the RO, GOB and other relevant partners.
- Supervise various projects and staff members within the Office in the areas of migration health, humanitarian resettlement, movement management, facilitated migration, counter-trafficking, labour migration, early recovery, and “Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) and Disaster Risk Management (DRM) Capacity Building in Botswana; including financial and activity monitoring of the projects against their intended targets.
- Liaise with national authorities, donors, UNCT and other sector ministries to facilitate IOM’s Visibility and involvement in relevant migration related initiatives including the UNDAF,
- Maintain effective coordination mechanisms with line ministries, national authorities, the UNCT, international organizations or NGO representatives, and other stakeholders relevant to IOM objectives and operations.
- Identify obstacles to the smooth implementation of projects, devise solutions and/or consult the IOM Regional Office for Southern Africa and relevant HQ Departments for advice and guidance in a timely manner.
- Implement adequate monitoring mechanisms to review impact and progress of projects in the country.
- Liaise regularly with the Regional Office, as well as relevant IOM HQ Departments and Divisions thereunder, for progress updates and exchange of information.
- Compile relevant reports, plans, strategic documents and other substantive documents in a timely manner
- Identify opportunities for new projects and participate in the development of proposals for new phases of on-going projects and other activities in coordination and in consultation with the RO Pretoria;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Master’s Degree in Social or Political Science, International Relations, Development Studies, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution or
· University degree in the above field of studies with minimum of two years of relevant professional experience.
· Experience in project management and project development
· Experience in facilitation of events and liaison with governments, UN agencies and international cooperating partners
· Strong knowledge of Project Development and Implementation procedures
· Experience on Capacity Building and strong knowledge of migration trend in Southern Africa Region
· Excellent management and leadership skill
· Good level of computer literacy;
· Strong communication, organizational and interpersonal relationship skills.
· Hard working, good team player, dedicated, ability to monitor and follow up on pending matters.
· Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure with minimum supervision;
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of local languages is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:**
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2*
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. External and internal candidates are eligible to apply for this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first- tier candidates and will be given priority over external applicants if they meet the minimum requirements.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and obtains nationality ID or valid residency/work permit.
How to apply
If you are qualified for this position, please send your letter of motivation, up-to-date Resume/CV, copy of ID and Complete IOM Personal History Form (which can be downloaded from this website: https://southafrica.iom.int/vacancy ) to email@example.com