SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: National Programme Officer (WASH)
Vacancy Number: SVN/IOMSO/038/2022
Duty Station: IOM Somalia in Nairobi, Kenya, with frequent travel to Somalia
Classification: National Officer Category, Grade NOA
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 13 December 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The drought situation in Somalia is intensifying and an estimated 4 to 5 million people may require humanitarian assistance in 2022. This comes after three unsuccessful rainy seasons in a row, resulting in severe drought across 80 percent of the country.
International Organization for Migration (IOM) is responding to the ongoing drought and while building resilience to climate change shock and received funding from donor to scale up and expand humanitarian to nexus development activities in the country in coordination with other partners on the ground and local authorities. On that background IOM is seeking to hire national staff position for short period to support implementation of the project activities
Under the overall supervision of Senior Programme Coordinator (EPC) and the under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Manager (WASH/MECC), the National Programme Officer (WASH) will be responsible in contributing to responding to the humanitarian and durable solution activities related WASH and Climate change, in particular project management, project implementation activities and integrating with other sector and long-term solution for water crises within the mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Ensure timely and accurate financial reporting and documentation of drought response Programme activities this includes both projectization. Consolidate and submit monthly, quarterly and donor reports, contribute inputs to project documents, visibilities as well to all internal and external audit
- Provide guidance and coordinate with the implementing partners and service providers to ensure co-ordination of the implementation of the WASH/ Climate change activities ensuring effective monitoring and close follow up field, teams and engineers.
- Compile data on project activities for internal and external reports of IOM, clarifying outputs, achievements, challenges, corrective measures taken as well as future plans.
- Monitor inputs, field activities and find solutions to obstacles and provide utilization reports for specific activities to the Senior Programme Manager and IOM WASH and MECC team on the finding and advice in close collaboration and coordination with the field.
- Facilitate that all the emergency response and medium/long term activities meets their intended scope, time, quality and budget. Notify in a timely manner of any change request pertinent and inform of any delay or workaround required for timely completion of activities.
- Prepare and Manage Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs)/ contracts with service providers and implementing partners. Work closely with the administrative units of IOM to ensure adequate contracts management; close out procedures and final payments to the contractors.
- Plan, implement and monitor activities including procurement plans ensuring that the resources are properly utilizing effectively to provide services to the beneficiaries.
- Consolidate and submit weekly, monthly, quarterly, midyear and annual donor reports, contribute inputs to Programme documents, visibilities as well to all internal and external mission reports, this may include development of project snapshots, dashboards and sitreps.
- Contribute the development of a WASH/MECC technical guidelines, policy and operational frameworks for government institutions, line ministries and other stakeholders while providing prioritized recommendations for Programme interventions to the senior management.
- Assist in resource mobilization for WASH/MECC by identifying funding opportunities in general and budgeting.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
- Undertake frequent duty travel in Somalia relating to project activities, monitoring and liaison with counterparts.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in conflict and peace building or international relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
- Bachelor’s degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience on migration in relation to the conflict, crises, and natural hazards.
- Experience in the thematic area relevant to project development and coordination.
- Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience, project development, management, and reporting.
- Experience of legal frameworks human rights approaches, risk reduction and protection issues related to displacement and migration.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, donors, academia, other national/international institutions and NGOs.
- Work experience in Somalia is an advantage.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
- Knowledge of international fora and policy process in the areas of migration, climate change, environment, disaster risk reduction
- Knowledge of legal frameworks human rights approaches, soft law and protection issues related to environmental migration
- Fluency in English and Swahili (oral and written) is required. Working knowledge of Somali is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
From 30.11.2022 to 13.12.2022
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Policy & Embedded Lab Manager, Nigeria at Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) Nigeria
- Data Visualization and Analysis Intern at International Organization for Migration
- Finance Analyst at the British Council
- Senior Security Assistant at International Organization for Migration
- Senior Security Assistant at International Organization for Migration